Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #1

My 2006 Cambria waits patiently [& winterized]under a blanket of early December snow for the PA winter to move on. I disconnected the chassis battery to eliminate parasitic current losses from the cab forward and shut off the coach battery disconnect switch as well. I plan to [monthly] plug-in the coach to either external AC or the generator, turn on the disconnect switch, and periodically top off/charge the coach batteries. I will leave the chassis battery alone 'till Spring.

Does this procedure sound reasonable? Am I doing something differently than auto/truck/RV dealers do with their "yard" stock over the long winter(s)??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #2

My 2006 Cambria waits patiently [& winterized]under a blanket of early December snow for the PA winter to move on. I disconnected the chassis battery to eliminate parasitic current losses from the cab forward and shut off the coach battery disconnect switch as well. I plan to [monthly] plug-in the coach to either external AC or the generator, turn on the disconnect switch, and periodically top off/charge the coach batteries. I will leave the chassis battery alone 'till Spring.

Does this procedure sound reasonable? Am I doing something differently than auto/truck/RV dealers do with their "yard" stock over the long winter(s)??

Old 12-15-2005, 05:46 AM   #3

sounds like a plan, think I should look into unplugging th van battery. As we are ging to stay her in MD for the winter.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious why you think it is OK to leave the chassis battery alone but necessary to charge the coach batteries? The chassis battery needs an occasional charge too - don't neglect it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #5

I have a solar panel on the roof to maintain my coach battery, however a blanket of snow will cut down on the output as will several very cloudy days. I plug in to shore power and run the engine occasionally.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #6

I keep mine plugged in 24-7 and run the coach and generator once a month for at least 30 min. Scott.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #7

Yes, start up that generator regularly, and let it run for a while. Otherwise it will get lazy and not want to start next Spring ! Carb might gum up, apart from other little things.

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #8

Also add stabil to the gas and run it through the generator will help keep from gumming up.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:30 AM   #9

Ours is plugged in 24/7. However, I do the once a month thing with the genny and the motor. In fact, that is on today's agenda. I may even crank-up the heat and watch a ballgame...or take a nap...or both.

W

Maple & Maroon Interior
myway2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #10

Make sure when you exercise your gen that you put a load on it -- ie. the A/C, Television, water heater (on A/C of course), etc.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would highly recommend you do NOT try to start up the A/C when the temperature is below 42 degrees outside. The compressors are not designed for use in cold temps (no crankcase heater) and can be damaged by doing so. I would recommend using a small space heater for a load in this case.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:19 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
I gonna put my $0.02 in here too, if you have drained the water heater: DO NOT PUT ANY HEAT ON IT OR IT WILL MELT. It feels soooo baaaad to replace any of that high dollar stuff. I don`t think heating the pink stuff would be too good either. Just go camping when you can.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #13

Sorry, forget it gets that cold -

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, being a newbie and with December coming on, I winterized it. The coach batteries are in the basement (stays at 50 deg. down there). I have a charger for deep cycle charging and check the batteries every 2 weeks. As for the MH I start it up every week, and if there is no snow or salted roads I'll take it for a short run tommorow. That's the best I can come up with for the time being. In the meantime I'm modifying it to make things more convenient when we take to the roads in the spring.
Cheers
Willis

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote