Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Chassis Battery Draining

Lately while I am hooked up to shore power, my Chassis Battery drains. I have a brand new battery, so I am thinking somehow the Coach is draining the Chassis battery, but I can't figure out how to stop it. I didn't have the problem until just recently. I can use the battery booster to start the engine, but I am concerned that if it keeps draining the chassis battery, it will shorten the life of the battery. Any ideas?

Blaklily56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Parasitic draw

You have parasitic draw on the battery. It does take some special tools and skills to find the draw. The chassis dealer should be able to find it with just a little effort. Some chassis dealers will point at the house and say take it to the RV dealer.

below are a few links on the process used to find the draw.

How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain: 9 Steps

2008 Sprinter chassis with
2010 Four Winds House class C
Pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
this could be as simple as a fuse on the converter... when connected to shore power your converter is powered up... and it should supply power to both the coach & chassis batteries through a set of diodes so that each system is isolated...

When connected to shore power measure the voltage at the chassis batteries and than make the same test on the coach batteries... the voltage should be the same... in most cases you converter has enough capacity to supply both....

If you have the same voltage at both sets of batteries when on shore power... look for a bad chassis battery that won't hold a charge..
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:36 AM   #4
Haven't heard of any MH with dual output, diode controled, converters. That sounds more like a boat thing.

If your Class C has the capability to charge the chassis battery, while on shore power, it would most likely be thru a BIRD ( Bi-directional Isolation Relay with Delay ).

A BIRD is a voltage sensing device that confirms your house battery bank being charged to a specific level, before connecting the chassis battery. Sort of like an automatic boost switch.

I would confirm with the manufacture that your MH has the capability of maintaining the chassis battery on shore power, before digging into the system. Not all do.

Since you say this is a recent problem, you could have something drawing down the battery on the chassis, unrelated to the house systems.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
I currently have the same exact issue. I stopped the drain temporary by pulling the 3amp fuse to the carbon monoxide detector that is hard wired.

If you disconnect your house batteries and unplug from the shore, anything in your motorhome that is still running is running off your chassis. That is how I discovered my carbon monoxide detector issue.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, chassis