Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Chassis size/selection

The DW and I have been looking for a "C" with an island queen, split bathroom (I think that's the right term), no slides or at least not one containing the sink/fridge/stove plumbing and decent exterior storage in an overall length of 28' or less. We have found only one- Forrest River Solera- it's on the Sprinter chassis and has lousy CCC.
Every other gas rv, whether Ford or Chevy(rare) only provides these features in a length very close to 31'. Which would be ok if they did not have such rear overhang.
Why do the mfg's try (it seem to me) to use the shortest wheelbase possible? Am I just naive or stupid? I was on the Ford RV CHASSIS website today. It lists the E-450 with wheelbases of 158"&176".
The Itasca Cambria 27K has a wheelbase of 200" & the 30J is 220".
Why do they not put the 220" chassis under the 27K (LOA 29'4") and reduce the rear overhang? Would this adversely affect the handling and turning radius?
Wouldn't this improve the front/rear axle loading?
I admit I'm not an automotive engineer but when I look at so many of these units and they all have 8' plus overhangs, it turns me off!
Sorry for writing the Great American Novel on this rant! Maybe there is an engineer lurking among us who can clarify?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

The Coachmen 28QB at 30'4" with a 208" WB has the walk around queen and split bath, with no slide.
Freelander - Coachmen RV
As for the Ford chassis web site listing 158" and 176" wheel bases, the motor home builders extend the frames to whatever lengths they think will work for each particular model.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Mich, thanks for the 28QB info. I like the no slides, but man, it is ugly with all those "square" edges. And it still looks to me like there is too much rear overhang.

I understand that the mfg's extend the chassis from the stock length. Why not extend it so at least the rig looks balanced?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

I believe the floor plan, right or wrong is normally a big consideration in what wheel base they choose.
I think with some models it works out OK, others maybe not so much.

Tags
chassis