Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chassis speakers in cabin???

Has anyone added speakers in the cabin area that are connected to the chassis radio?

The passengers (kids) want to be able to hear the radio, but even turned up the sounds doesn't carry beyond the cab.

Bonus, would I be able to use this setup to listen to music when parked?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In my Class A, 4 speakers were installed for the dash radio, 2 just behind driver/passenger seats, 2 more in bedroom. I installed 2 speakers under the dash for better sound when driving. I installed a DPDT switch in the dashboard that turns off the 2 speakers in the bedroom and throws that sound to the new front speakers.

Check the specs on your dash radio, it probably could power 4 speakers, see if it's hooked up to 4 speakers now. If so, you could do as I did. If it only has 2 but capable of powering 4, you could add 2 speakers without issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

My Itasca came this way from new, the 'front' speakers on the stereo are the cab door speakers, the 'rear' speakers are (one each) over the kitchen sink and rear of the dinette. This works great for us since a minor adjustment means you can quickly bias the sound distribution between cab and house.

We have an aftermarket system with a remote control that lives on the dinette. Very handy!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 2004 Mini Wini has sound in the living area. Would love to be able to turn it off from the bedroom so I could listen in bed before sleep. You might check with Winibago about your coach as the wires might be there.

LEN
Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
My Itasca came this way from new, the 'front' speakers on the stereo are the cab door speakers, the 'rear' speakers are (one each) over the kitchen sink and rear of the dinette. This works great for us since a minor adjustment means you can quickly bias the sound distribution between cab and house.

We have an aftermarket system with a remote control that lives on the dinette. Very handy!
Do you use the system while parked? Does it run off the chassis battery (i.e. do you need the keys in the ignition) or is it wired to the cabin?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
Do you use the system while parked? Does it run off the chassis battery (i.e. do you need the keys in the ignition) or is it wired to the cabin?
Many RVs have a switch on the dash to switch from ignition controlled chassis battery to house battery. If yours doesn't, it's not difficult to install such a switch.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Many RVs have a switch on the dash to switch from ignition controlled chassis battery to house battery. If yours doesn't, it's not difficult to install such a switch.
I don't have this switch, very interested in how to install...

Other than the radio, what else would I/could I switch from the chassis battery to the house battery?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I don't have this switch, very interested in how to install...

Other than the radio, what else would I/could I switch from the chassis battery to the house battery?
I used a Carling switch to match other dashboard switches. The wiring is quite simple, cut the main 12 + wire to the radio. (It probably has two 12 + leads, one ignition switched, other full time 12v + for the memory presets/clock) Switch goes in the 'cut'. Extend 12v+ from house system to the other terminal of the SPDT switch.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:

Yes, we use it constantly while parked and yes, it runs off the chassis battery. I leave the keys in and the ignition in the accessory position. I've done this for as much as 3 days at a time while dry camping, the unit started no differently than if I hadn't done so.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

tmas-

The 2016 Minnie Winnie operations manual has this to say:

Quote:
RADIO IN-DASH/REARVIEW
MONITOR SYSTEM
–If Equipped
The radio in your coach can receive AM/FM
stereo stations. It also has a CD/DVD player for
your listening enjoyment through quality high output
speakers located in several areas of the
coach.
Is yours a factory-installed radio?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
tmas-

The 2016 Minnie Winnie operations manual has this to say:

Is yours a factory-installed radio?
It is factory installed, but I haven't noticed the speakers. I'll have to look.

I would still like to install the switch so I can use is and not have the key in the ignition and on ACC.

Thanks all!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

tmas-

It might be that your coach is wired to run off both batteries.

I downloaded and read the "Radio and Backup Monitor Installation Diagram" for your coach (see this link). I was hoping to see speakers called out. It didn't help me at all. (This isn't the first time I've been baffled by Winnebago's drawings- the problem is I, not they). You may want to send a private message to iRV2 user "gtrharris." Grant knows his way around the Winnebago diagram sets.

I wouldn't assume I needed the switch until I consulted with Grant and Winnebago- and then confirmed for myself that the 12V power wiring only comes from the chassis battery.

[Digression: My former Class C was wired to power the stereo from the house battery. It makes some sense to do it that way, as leaving the radio on (accidentally or otherwise) should never leave you with a dead chassis battery. I modified the wiring to power the radio off the chassis battery. I figured it's a car radio, correct? We used a portable Bluetooth speaker to play our music wherever we sat, so didn't listen to the "car" stereo much except when underway, when chassis 12V was available. Current coach has a dash switch to switch between chassis and house batteries. End of digression]

Hey, more stuff from your Minnie Winnie manual:

Quote:
NOTE: When parked the Radio Power switch
should be set to “HOUSE”, make sure
the park brake is set prior to turning the
vehicle off or the radio may not play
DVDs.
So where is that "Radio Power switch?"
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #13

With your new Winnie unit, Winnie is good in their manual about covering different situations that owners might encounter. I always have to refer to the manual to remember how to get the sound system to do what I want. And it usually will if I take the time to pull out the manual and read it. I think you already have what you need, if you can figure it out, Good luck.
jrwpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis