Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
Chateau 31E versus Greyhawk 31 FS

Hello! Been lurking here for awhile, great forum and lots of good information, thanks to all the contributors.

Long time RVers (TT) with 2 young kids (8 & 10), we live in Canada and are looking to get into a class C bunkhouse, narrowed down to three different units, due to availability and proximity to service (not as many dealers around here as in USA).
Chateau 31 E
Greyhawk 31 FS
Redhawk 31XL

Chateau 31E
Like - Size of awning 18 feet versus 10, access to bathroom and space between toilet and sink, feels very roomy with full wall slide, size of bedroom, mattresses feel more comfy, higher hitch rate rating and 2500 more GVW , more kitchen storage and additional cabinets beside fridge/door, about 10K less, closer to service
Dislike - AC smaller, smaller fridge, (worried about ride versus the Jayco's from all I've read), no storage under dinette seats, no drawers under bunks

Greyhawk 31FS
Like - larger fridge, AC unit and furnace, larger grey and black tank, J-Ride (does this matter or good sales job?????), storage under dinette seats, drawers under the side bunks
Dislike - small awning, bathroom feels more cramped, about $10K more, further away for service

RedHawk - appears very similar without the JRide and DVD machines, not as fancy wheels - approximately $20K cheaper than the Greyhawk and 10K cheaper than the Chateau

Finishing on the Chateau looks much better than the Jayco's which surprised me when I have read so much bad stuff on here about Thor.

Drove the Greyhawk and Chateau, (cant tell a difference) but both were on different roads and conditions, is the Jride really worth it or just a gimmick?????

Has anyone heard any issues with full wall slide in the Chateau C's? I am aware of the old issues with the Class A Palazzos, this unit does have a triple track and can't find any bad reviews about the class C slide - should I not be concerned about this?

GVW difference - it really doesnt matter the rating on the Greyhawk, if i haul it will be a flat tow of a small car +/-3250 lbs. Maybe I shouldnt be concerned about the hitch and rating differences?

To be quite honest I really like the Chateau but a lot of negative feedback on this site and others about Thor - is that just odds and because more sales equals more unhappy customers but the actual percentage is the same??? lol

Any input from owners or others that have researched is greatly appreciated!

rvpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!