Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

Check the wheel nuts

You always hear to check the wheel nuts before leaving, well I didn’t and on our way from MI to Fl, lost the rear wheel on our Jeep we tow.
It cost us 3 days, and a bunch of money. Until someone passing us and pointing I didn’t know it had happened. Dragged the Jeep about a mile without a rear wheel. Lesson learned
seniorgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

Lug nuts don't just work loose. Did you have some kind of tire service done on the Jeep prior to this incident? I suppose there is a chance of vandalism or theft (attempted) and this left them loose. Yes, you should do a walk around and including shaking the wheels for looseness.

Charles
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

That is what I was curious about.....Jeep wheel recently removed

On travel day I check/adjust ALL tire air pressures
And have done a 'lug nut' torque check but only after wheel/tire has been R/R and then only until I no longer find ANY change

Any broken wheel studs?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

If you have aluminum wheels and had serviced they tell you to re torque. They will loosen

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

While you are in the checking mood, a good idea to check things like U bolt nuts as well.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Could also be broken studs caused by clowns using a big rattle gun to way overtighten the studs plus lots of antisieze goop splashed all over the studs and nuts to make things even worse
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Really don’t understand. The wheels have not been off for over a year, they are steel wheels and the studs are fine. I have towed it a couple thousand miles since the tires were rotated.
seniorgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorgear View Post
Really don’t understand. The wheels have not been off for over a year, they are steel wheels and the studs are fine. I have towed it a couple thousand miles since the tires were rotated.
No broken studs
Wheels haven't been off for over a year
Steel wheel
Towed couple thousands miles

Hummmmmm......

Interrupted some thieves
OR
Somebody don't like you

Where were staying prior to travel?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

A couple of weeks ago I had 6 new tires installed in Livingston, TX at a shop that came with recommendations from several residents at the Escapees Rainbows End Park. It was the most unprofessional maintenance organization I have ever seen or dealt with. I could write a book on all the things they did and didn't do that could prove to be dangerous to me and my family.

Just one example. They didn't have a torque wrench big enough to torque 19" and 22.5" wheel lug nuts. When I saw them use an air wrench to tighten my lug nuts I told them I wanted them to torque them to 500 lb/ft, the torque required by my owner's manual and also stamped on each lug nut. The employee stated we always do it this way.

I took it up with the manager. Same story. The air wrench gets it "plenty tight enough."

I asked why they were working on truck and RV tires without the required equipment. "Do you know how much a torque wrench that size costs?" was his reply.

After I put that place in my rearview mirror I drove 50 miles north to Cook Tire in Lufkin where they checked the torque(for free!) and then retorqued them to 500 lb/ft. The highest torque on all the lug nuts they checked was 300 lb/ft and 5 of them were considerably less with 2 of them approaching finger tight.

My advice to anyone having tire work done is to insist on watching them torque your lug nuts and verify the settings. It takes 2 men and a big wrench to torque a truck sized wheel. One to hold the socket straight on the lug nut and one to supply the muscle. Also, I recommend you check the tire pressures yourself ASAP after someone else airs them. I told the aforementioned shop exactly how much pressure I wanted in each tire. When I checked them while cold after driving several hundred miles not one was within 10-15 psi of what I specified.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #10

Never heard of nuts going out by themselves. Someone must have loosen them.Sorry! Vandalism???

« No TV | Researching »