Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on Dually valves from Borg or the equivalent; all this frustration and injury to pride and hands goes away.

njs42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #16

Can a truck tire shop order these or am I supposed to show up w/ them and expect the truck shop to know what to do with them?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Can a truck tire shop order these or am I supposed to show up w/ them and expect the truck shop to know what to do with them?
Dually valves are just valve stems and

any truck shop that handles your tire size can put them on. In my case the shop I used had not heard of them so I bought them and they installed.
njs42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is my setup.Works great

Checking Tire Pressure
Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
This is my setup.Works great

Checking Tire Pressure
This is where I got mine.
Tadano America Corporation
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #20

I too pulled my wheel covers. A real PITA in the rears to check the TP. Much easier with them off.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #21

We just purchased a brand new 2014 Itasca Navion IQ 24V and followed the owner's manual regarding checking tire pressures. Unfortunately the Navion does not come with a monitor system. I purchased a two way type tire gauge and a two way type fitting for my air compressor. Even with these purchases it is a real PITA to access either of the dual wheels. So I purchased some metal extenders and worked for several hours to get them on the valve stems. This was so I could install a set of TST Pressure monitors that I had used on my fifth wheel. The pressures seemed to hold real good for the few days that we were parked at home but once I took the rig on the road at least two pressure leaks started. I surmised these were coming from either the extenders or monitors. Murphy's law ruled. So I removed all the extenders and monitors, added air and went on with the original setups without further problem. I believe I will need to get metal valve stems installed in order to get a more accessible system for the monitors.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
You can use a truck type tire inflater that has openings on both sides.

I have the braided hose attached to the inner tire. I use the inflater and press on the opposite side to get a seal. I have a pistol type inflator with a hose like this.

Dual Chuck Tire Inflator with Dial Gauge
Or something with a fitting like this, which works much better for me (I have no braided hose attached to the inner tire. I just stick this in to inflate and check the pressure).

Amazon.com: Milton S693 Dual Head Straight Foot Air Chuck: Automotive
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Okay, at least I'm not losing my mind. I'm staring at these tires going "I'm far from a idiot, what am I missing?" ....
I feel your pain. I was thinking what you're thinking ever since I bought my (first) RV in September. After a process of trial and error (as pcurt23 suggested), I settled on a Porter-Cable CMB15 150 PSI air compressor (Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor: Home Improvement) and this hose attachment (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Seems to work for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
You're missing the correct valve extensions. On my previous MH, I had the wire braided extensions installed and had similar issues trying to get a good reading. On my current MH, I have metal extended valves and adapters and it's much easier. I'd suggest taking a trip to a local truck tire shop and let them install metal valve stems and extensions. Any cost will be well worth the lack of aggravation you'll suffer down the road.
Excellent suggestion. I did that, too, after I found that the dealer I bought my RV from replaced the 10-year-old tires, but didn't replace the valve stems, and one rotted away on a trip, resulted in a flat, as I was pulling into a campground. I installed metal valve stems, but the tire shop suggested staying away from extensions.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I feel your pain. I was thinking what you're thinking ever since I bought my (first) RV in September. After a process of trial and error (as pcurt23 suggested), I settled on a Porter-Cable CMB15 150 PSI air compressor (Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor: Home Improvement) and this hose attachment (Amazon.com: Milton S693 Dual Head Straight Foot Air Chuck: Automotive). Seems to work for me.
This is exactly what I ended up with !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I finally got picture of what I use to inflate my tires and the mod to the wheel covers today. First the duallies have the solid stem extensions installed so that they are solid and have little movement when connecting the hose.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1398734008.079388.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	629.7 KB
ID:	61647
Also, note that the cover has been trimmed near the valve stem to improve access. I still plan to smooth the edges some more.

I also use this fill hose tool:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1398734313.070315.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	61648
Note that the hose connector is able to be locked onto the stem while filling. I added the T and extra pressure gauge. This allows me to know the supply line pressure.
I have seen all these items at CW, WW, and HD.
TPMS is on my wish list.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I also carry a pancake compressor.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Same issue here

I didn't read everyones comments but I have the same issue with my new Winnebago View. Nearly impossible to get an accurate reading and add air. Have to lay down on the ground and juggle flashlight and tools.

I pisses me off the Winnebago refuses to address this serious safety issue. What is really aggravating is that most of their products are purchased by seniors who aren't always up for laying down along the motorhome to check tire pressure.

I just ordered a set of dually valves which are supposed to be a much better solution over valve stem extensions. Now I have to find an installer. But do hope this resolves the problem.

Tags
tire pressure