Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Checking Tire Pressure

Hey All,

Okay so frustration number 1 for my new motorhome. I can't seem to check the tire pressure on the inner tire. I do have a braided extension clipped to the rim. My problem is as soon as I put pressure on the end of it by applying my tire pressure gauge, the extension starts to bend and I can't get a good seal on the gauge.

What am I doing wrong?

The outside tire with the valve pointing the wrong way is another issue entirely; though I did order a nozzle that has a 45 degree connector on the end. I'm hoping I can push it through the hole and than back it onto the stem and get a good seal.

EDIT:

Can I use these to just screw onto the end of the braid for the purpose of checking my pressure and filling up the tires? I'm thinking I could hold the long metal portion while I'm performing either maintenance, and than remove them and put them in the glove box for the next time.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Dualie...xgy_auto_img_b
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #2

I can't be the ONLY one that's run into this. Anybody?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

You can use a truck type tire inflater that has openings on both sides.

I have the braided hose attached to the inner tire. I use the inflater and press on the opposite side to get a seal. I have a pistol type inflator with a hose like this.

Dual Chuck Tire Inflator with Dial Gauge

For the outer tire I have a cap installed that does not need to be removed.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

I have a similar inflator. I can't get a hold of the braided extension to hold it fast while I push on the end to inflate or get a reading. So I'm wondering if I attach a solid extension to the end of the braided extension just to check the pressure and fill, would it work? I can't see why it wouldn't. Of course I'll remove the solid extension when I'm done w/ my maintenance.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

You are not doing anything wrong. The motor home industry refuses to solve the tire inflation issue for rv owners so we are left to spend many dollars on various devices that allow us to preform the tire inflation task. Rant over.
There are extenders that can be fastened to the wheel cover to make it easier to check your tires. The outside dually can be fitted with a U shaped extender. There are also extenders for the front tires. The issue with extenders is that they can loosen and cause a leak. So when they are installed you should check the tire pressure frequently to make sure all is well.
There are many devices to "help" you manage your tires. You will eventually come up with the combination that you like.
I have 45degree angle extenders on the front tires. U shaped extenders on the outside rear and braided extenders on the inside that are fastened to the wheel cover. In addition I have flow through tire sensors. I also have a small compressor to fill the tires. It takes me 30 minutes or so to service the tires. I had the inside extenders installed at camping world.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

Okay, at least I'm not losing my mind. I'm staring at these tires going "I'm far from a idiot, what am I missing?" ....
Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
You're missing the correct valve extensions. On my previous MH, I had the wire braided extensions installed and had similar issues trying to get a good reading. On my current MH, I have metal extended valves and adapters and it's much easier. I'd suggest taking a trip to a local truck tire shop and let them install metal valve stems and extensions. Any cost will be well worth the lack of aggravation you'll suffer down the road.
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

FWIW, my solid extender on the end of the braided extender worked for checking the pressure and adding air.

I'll have to get it taking care of in a more eloquent way later in the coach's life.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #9

Yes it is PIA is it not? I seem to repeatedly push too hard, forcing it to disconnect it from the tire mount connection thingy...the piece that keeps it somewhat in place/straight. I emphasize the somewhat.

That all being said...I just gave in and removed the tire rim/hubcaps. Problem solved with a little more effort.

The other issue I had was that I was constantly cutting my self on the hub caps while reaching into grab/hold the valve extensions that were in place.

Not a perfect solution - but at least now it is pain / cut free.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have extenders on my read duals so I use a braided extension that I screw onto the valve and have it in hand. Then I apply the tire guage and get the reading. Works for me and make the job easy. I use the braided extension on all the tires.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Here are a couple of items that I've found helpful. The holes in RV wheel rims often don't allow enough clearance around the valve stem to easily get the tire pressure gauge or air chuck into position. Not only do you need a "dual foot" end on both items but they should be "straight-in" and "180*". The "180*" part is difficult to find. This outfit has all manner of tire inflation implements.

Dual Foot 180* Tire Pressure Gauge

Dual Foot 180* Air Chuck

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #12

My extension would pop out of that thingy holding it to the hub cap so I used several small plastic wire ties to hold it in place.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Yes it is PIA is it not? I seem to repeatedly push too hard, forcing it to disconnect it from the tire mount connection thingy...the piece that keeps it somewhat in place/straight. I emphasize the somewhat.

That all being said...I just gave in and removed the tire rim/hubcaps. Problem solved with a little more effort.

The other issue I had was that I was constantly cutting my self on the hub caps while reaching into grab/hold the valve extensions that were in place.

Not a perfect solution - but at least now it is pain / cut free.
My hands are now cut up too - the stainless steel liners really are pretty sharp. I had managed to work unscathed until I dropped one of the stem caps while trying to unscrew - I knew it was going to happen eventually, just didn't expect it to happen as fast as I did. Real knucklehead move, and I paid for it digging out the cap.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Suggestion #1. Get rid of the braided extensions. They will eventually leak and unless you have a TPMS you WILL have a tire disaster.

Suggestion #2. Purchase a new set of valve stems from Borg Tire Supply and have them installed.

You will never have anymore trouble with using your pressure gauge, TPMS, or anything with valve leaks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure