Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #15

Borg dally valve solid valves, with bent valve stem for the outer tire is what you want. Dozens, if not hundreds, of Ford Transit based RVers have gone this route. Makes checking air super easy.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
Borg dally valve solid valves, with bent valve stem for the outer tire is what you want. Dozens, if not hundreds, of Ford Transit based RVers have gone this route. Makes checking air super easy.
Thanks Ed, I've found a combination of tools and technique that will resolve the issue for now. I'm considering an external TPMS that would probably necessitate the bent valve stems if I decide to go that way.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #17

Throw the caps away, and install Alligator service thru the caps. They seal completely and keep water/dirt out of the stem, but allow you to check or service the tires without removal.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B...tor+caps&psc=1

Those are not threads on the alligator, but are rings that allow clip on chucks and such to lock better. Seems you found a straight/back angle tire chuck, I use a 12 inch long Milton. Several gauges available with similar long stems and straight/back angle chucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...lton+air+chuck

The Milton chuck has rings in it to lock on the threads or grooves of the valve stem, a real pain in the arse for me, so the "nuts" on the ends of the tire chuck, I replaced with the smooth ones Milton makes.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/dua...chuck-nut.html

Charles
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Throw the caps away, and install Alligator service thru the caps. They seal completely and keep water/dirt out of the stem, but allow you to check or service the tires without removal.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B...tor+caps&psc=1

Those are not threads on the alligator, but are rings that allow clip on chucks and such to lock better. Seems you found a straight/back angle tire chuck, I use a 12 inch long Milton. Several gauges available with similar long stems and straight/back angle chucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...lton+air+chuck

The Milton chuck has rings in it to lock on the threads or grooves of the valve stem, a real pain in the arse for me, so the "nuts" on the ends of the tire chuck, I replaced with the smooth ones Milton makes.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/dua...chuck-nut.html

Charles
Charles, those are just what I need right now. I bought a cheap 6 pack of 1 1/4" long "fill through" valve extenders from a local auto parts store the other day after trying three other stores. They ended up being too long on my outer wheels and I couldnt get the chuck on them to inflate the tire. They were ok on the inner wheel except that they didnt work and all that I was accomplishing was to deflate the tire as the chuck kept self locking on the threads. The shorter ones that you have I think would be just right and they are German made, so hopefully they will work.

The smooth chuck ring is a brilliant idea and should prevent the chuck from getting hung up on the valve stem.

I'm just amazed at how much time and effort and research I have expended trying to resolve such a seemingly simple issue. After many trips to a number of different auto parts stores, taking my truck to two tire stores, jacking up and removing my outer wheels and tires, purchasing half a dozen potential solutions only to find out they wouldnt work for one reason or another; I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Soon I will be able to put air in my tires.

Now to change my transmission fluid.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #19

As a last ditch solution, you might need to go to a major truckstop (TA/Petro) to get a resolution. I drive a Semi Over the Road (OTR) and have had issues in the past and they have been able to have a solution to permanently resolve the issue.
OldSaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #20

There was a recall on the tires on our new camper some years back, so when we got the new tires installed, DH requested the shop add on the extensions. They're a godsend!
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #21

On my 450s, I always install a 6" straight brass valve stem that sticks out toward the outer wheel--also, I always make sure the inner/outer stems are at 180d to each other so there aren't 2 stems in same hole. 450 holes are smaller than the 350s--I can also use a TST monitor on the stems. My experience with extensions has been that they are prone to leaking at some point, or come off with the sensor removal, thus I won't use an extension.
Many ways to solve this problem, just have to find what works best for you...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSaltyDog View Post
As a last ditch solution, you might need to go to a major truckstop (TA/Petro) to get a resolution. I drive a Semi Over the Road (OTR) and have had issues in the past and they have been able to have a solution to permanently resolve the issue.
Thanks, I probably should have started somewhere like that, I just didn't realize how complicated this could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
There was a recall on the tires on our new camper some years back, so when we got the new tires installed, DH requested the shop add on the extensions. They're a godsend!
Thanks, I'm coming to realize that people have had good and bad experiences with all of the various solutions to this issue and that there is no definitive best way to deal with it. I started out looking for extensions and then got dissuaded by the variety of options and trying to weigh them all out. I then went back to basics with installing short bolt on stems and figuring out a way to access them. At least I can get to them now so I know what my preseures are. I think that the next step will be a TPMS which will require extensions or long stems and bent stems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
On my 450s, I always install a 6" straight brass valve stem that sticks out toward the outer wheel--also, I always make sure the inner/outer stems are at 180d to each other so there aren't 2 stems in same hole. 450 holes are smaller than the 350s--I can also use a TST monitor on the stems. My experience with extensions has been that they are prone to leaking at some point, or come off with the sensor removal, thus I won't use an extension.
Many ways to solve this problem, just have to find what works best for you...
Yeah, that was my first surprise when the tire store asked me how many, what diameter, and what shape my wheel holes were. Then the same question for my chrome wheel covers which for some reason are completely different; 8 - 2" holes vs 4 - oval holes. When I went to check the pressures before a recent trip I realized that the same truck tire store that had replaced the tires and installed the new bolt on stems, had mounted my rear wheels at something other than 180 degrees making it impossible to access the inner stem.

If I decide to install long stems or extensions I dont think that I'd be satisfied unless they are firmly stabilized on the outer wheel, preferably by a lug nut attachment and especially if I install external sensors.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure glad that I decided to address all of this now, and had not waited to figure it out in the middle if a trip.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #23

5spd97,
I have run the 6" stems on 3 different 450s for over a total of 325k miles and no problems, even with the TST sensor on all stems. Properly installed, they are very sturdy and protected by the outer rim.
I had many bad experiences in trying numerous straight and bent and u-shaped extensions--while all worked for a short time, eventually either they leaked or the schrader valve in the stem bent sideways.
Glad those days are behind me, and hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #24

Quote:
5spd97,
I have run the 6" stems on 3 different 450s for over a total of 325k miles and no problems, even with the TST sensor on all stems. Properly installed, they are very sturdy and protected by the outer rim.
I had many bad experiences in trying numerous straight and bent and u-shaped extensions--while all worked for a short time, eventually either they leaked or the schrader valve in the stem bent sideways.
Glad those days are behind me, and hope you find a solution that works for you.
Wingnut, thanks and thats a convincing testimony. Sounds like a plan.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
5spd97,
I have run the 6" stems on 3 different 450s for over a total of 325k miles and no problems, even with the TST sensor on all stems. Properly installed, they are very sturdy and protected by the outer rim..
So how do you handle the outer tire?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #26

If the stems on the outer rims are hard to get to, they can be rotated completely around by lowering the air pressure, loosening the hex nut and moving the stem in any other direction that is easier to reach. But turning it too much will get too close to the hub cap and cause other problems--they can actually be turned 180d and face outward.
Have to remember that I am talking about a 450 and higher psi, not a 350, but the stem ideas should also work on a 350.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #27

Quote:
If the stems on the outer rims are hard to get to, they can be rotated completely around by lowering the air pressure, loosening the hex nut and moving the stem in any other direction that is easier to reach.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at mine. My impression is that I will have to put bent stems on the outer wheels if I decide to add external sensors, otherwise the sensor will be on the backside of the wheel and virtually inaccessible.

I can see that I'll soon be upgrading my portable compressor. I guess it never ends.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I've installed these on my Southwind (and my old Mirada).. The mount bracket fits under the wheel simulator lug nut, I suspect it may also fit under a regular lug nut if you don't have simulators.

When connecting them to the valve stems, I put a tiny dab of Di-electric grease (Silicon paste) in the end of the hose that connects to the existing valve stem, then screw it onto the valve stem, I use a pliers to snug it up a little more on the valve stem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VRO19Y/

I had a problem on my E450 as delivered as well. I could actually check the tires but I couldn't add air.

I installed these on it as well, and it solved my problems. Fittings were easy to get to, easy to use, easy to get tire minders on, etc.

Tags
ford, tire pressure