Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Checking tire pressure on Ford duallys

I bought my E350 dually over a year ago and this issue still befuddles me. This isn't about TPMS or equalizing systems. I had standard bolt on metal valve stems installed on all tires but I cannot find a way to check or adjust my rear tire pressure short of removing the outer tire. I have asked everyone that I meet that is driving a Ford dually about this and I usually get a blank stare. I've researched forums and the internet and can't find the answer. In frustration before my last trip I drove to the high volume, fantastic local tire store and asked them to check my rear pressures. After 15 minutes trying the tech said, "i just cant get to them." I went home and took the wheels off.

The problem on the outer wheel is the back facing angled fitting on my long truck gage and inflater will not seat properly on the valve stem with the wheel cover on, and you have to remove the lug nuts to remove the wheel cover. On the inner wheel I cant even get the valve cap off. My hand will not fit between the tires and there is no way to reach it through the wheel holes. I think that this isssue is specific to Fords. This has got to be easier than Im making it. There must be millions of dually Fords out there and it cant be this hard. I managed to remove and reinstall my outer valve caps but I lost skin on both forefingers doing it.

I was trying to avoid extensions but it might be the only solution.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #2

You or your wife can probably squeeze your hand between the tires to remove the cap, if not, use a piece of heater hose of the correct ID to push over the cap to remove or install the cap. Go to a NAPA store and buy a 4- 6" metal valve extension(whatever works) that extends beyond the outer wheel holes enough to check, add, or lower air pressure. It may be removed after each use.

On my Chevy dually I was lucky enough to be able to use 2" metal extensions and leave them on permanently; due to design no valve cap needed. I never did have an air leak from using them in the 11 years of use.
JIC you don't already know, dually valve stems should be 180° apart when the wheels are installed on the axle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

Check with Borg Equipment and their dullyValves
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You or your wife can probably squeeze your hand between the tires to remove the cap, if not, use a piece of heater hose of the correct ID to push over the cap to remove or install the cap. Go to a NAPA store and buy a 4- 6" metal valve extension(whatever works) that extends beyond the outer wheel holes enough to check, add, or lower air pressure. It may be removed after each use.
I like the removable extension and the heater hose idea. My wife may be able to get her hand in there but there's no way that mine will fit. I thought about a wheel spacer to solve that problem. I may also be able to get a short extension for the outer wheel that will give me the clearance I need.

Coachmanjay. Thanks for the suggestion I'll check them out.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #5

You can get a valve stem kit installed. Both valve stems point to the front making it easy to check air.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix2551 View Post
You can get a valve stem kit installed. Both valve stems point to the front making it easy to check air.
Thanks for the suggestion. I started out in that direction but the manager of the truck tire store that I use was well versed in the issue and told me that he knew what to install but that he would have to order the kits. After two weeks he told me that he couldn't locate a source. I continued reading about it and the consensus seemed to be that I should install standard bolt on stems and then plan on getting dirty whenever I needed to adjust my pressures. So I had that done and I purchased the appropriate gage and filler only to find out that I still was unable to access either inner or outer valve stem. I guess that now i will again have the rear tires dismounted and I'll try a bent stem on the outer wheels and a long stem with a stabilizer on the inner wheel, although I've read many opinions of why that is not a good idea.

Many Ford duallys have 2" diameter holes in the steel wheels which severely restricts your ability to access your valve stems.

I'm a Ford guy but I just dont understand why they continue to install wheels on the vehicles that they sell that have this inherent, potentially unsafe, design flaw. I say unsafe because if its not reasonably easy to adjust check and pressures then people wont do it. How hard would it be to change the wheel design or to ship the trucks with valve stems that are accessible.

End of rant. I'll eventually resolve this problem but my conversations with other campers indicates that few even know that this is a problem much less the danger that it potentially could present.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Got mine off of Amazon. Just google "valve stem extenders for dual wheels" they have pages of them.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

Borg Dually Valve Stems. Had them installed when our motorhome was brand new. It makes checking air pressure in the rear duals a 5 minute process.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

I put 2 inch extensions on ours and can get to the stems with a truck type gauge or filler.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #10

If you decide to have "bent" valve stems installed, this is one source: https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...y-valve-stems/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will NOT like that extra-work fiasco, when on the side of the road, changing a flat, and/or having to add air to a low tire to make it to a shop, esp. in the 100-deg or RAIN :-( YOUR 'SMALL-FINGERED WIFE" will, at that time, also have some opinions you will NOT like to hear, I suspect.... I might suggest that your (fear of) extensions is misplaced (mine have NO CAPS either), and causing you "self-inflicted pain". Talk w/ a truck/ tire shop, you are RIGHT in that better things are done daily, USING EXTENSIONS. Luck to ya :-)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've installed these on my Southwind (and my old Mirada).. The mount bracket fits under the wheel simulator lug nut, I suspect it may also fit under a regular lug nut if you don't have simulators.

When connecting them to the valve stems, I put a tiny dab of Di-electric grease (Silicon paste) in the end of the hose that connects to the existing valve stem, then screw it onto the valve stem, I use a pliers to snug it up a little more on the valve stem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VRO19Y/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I put 2 inch extensions on ours and can get to the stems with a truck type gauge or filler.
I have one inch extensions on ford wheels and use a truck gauge. Can check without taking off hubcaps. I have used bent ones in the past and flexible as well with no problems.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #14

I want to thank everyone for all of the great suggestions. I ended up taking my air chuck and pressure gage to an auto parts store and finding ones that would work better. The head on the new ones that I bought had slightly more angle on the pull back connection which allowed me to get to the outer wheel stem. Both new tools had a completely straight head for the inner wheel whereas my old ones were angled on that end. Following one of the suggestions I put about two inches of rubber brake line hose on a Phillips head screwdriver and was able to remove the inner valve cap. Its still a pita but I was able to check and adjust my pressures w/o removing the outer rear wheel which is a huge step forward.

I'll be buying extensions in the near future, lol.

Thanks again.

Tags
ford, tire pressure