Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Chev/Workhorse Class C owners:Help!!

I have a 2008 Maverick 213QB class C on a 2007 Chev Workhorse chassis, which is basically a Chev 3500. Mine does not have a rear sway bar or stabilizer bar. All of the research I have done leads me to believe that Workhorse installed a heavy duty rear sway bar on this chassis. Not sure why I don't have one-maybe the previous owner removed it??

Anyway, if you have a Chev or Workhorse class C of any year, could you do me a favour? Could you check and see if yours has one? And if you installed an aftermarket rear sway bar, what did you get? I am having trouble sourcing one.

By the way, mine is the 12,300 lb GVWR. It handles quite well at highway speeds, but I am getting a lot of side to side movement at low speed on uneven pavement. Think pulling out of a gas station-cupboards have opened and dishes have gone flying!
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tred View Post
By the way, mine is the 12,300 lb GVWR. It handles quite well at highway speeds, but I am getting a lot of side to side movement at low speed on uneven pavement. Think pulling out of a gas station-cupboards have opened and dishes have gone flying!
Thanks
Continuing back and forth sway after passing over a curb cut like you describe is not for lack of a anti-sway bar, but rather shocks. Heavy duty shocks will dampen this side to side movement. In fact, adding a heavy anti-sway bar will actually increase the uneven surface type of side to side movement.

You probably do need the anti-sway bar however, to help with the "being blown off the road by a semi" effect you probably experience.

If your MH has any miles at all on it, I can assure you, the rear shocks are totally worn out. They probably were not heavy duty enough to start with, and the extreme weight only worn them out faster.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #3

Our Fleetwood Jamboree, which is on a Chevy 3500 chassis has leaf spring suspension, not coil spring, so no sway bar.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Fwiw, my 1977 Chevy chassis does not have a rear sway bar. I actually have a sway bar and all the mounting brackets from a Dana 70 I cut out from under a 1988 Chevy dually pickup. My MH also has a D70 and I am thinking about trying out the sway bar on the MH since I already have it lying around.

Tags
class c, workhorse