Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Chevy and Ford Class Cs: Pros & Cons?

In doing research prior to making my purchase of a 4-8 year old Class C MH, I find that most are built on the Ford chassis with the big Triton V-10 motor. However, some are built on the Chevy chassis with the smaller V8.

I would certainly love to hear from folks who can attest to the pros and cons of both. I lean toward the Chevy. A mechanic in another thread recommended Chevy. What do you say?

Mel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I find that most are built on the Ford chassis with the big Triton V-10 motor.
I think that pretty much sums it up. It's the best selling chassis for a reason.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Chevy rides better.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
The Chevy V8 in our RV does a great job. We are new to the RV world, only a little over a year so no mountains out west yet. We have done east coast I-95 Fla. to Md. and I-75/I-24/i-65 Fla. to Nashville and through Ky. to Ohio. Pulled the I-24 grade out of Chattanooga at about 45 if my memory is correct, some trucks were slower. No issues on 75 in Ga. Tn. Ky. Southern and eastern Ohio no issues. Typically cruise 60-65, 8.0-9.5 mpg no toad. Our unit rides and steers well.
House sits a little down hill so to speak when on level ground. Speculate that this may be due to house not being adjusted to level during build and manufacturer not paying enough attention to differences between Chevy and Ford chassis.
Best wishes on your research.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

I had a V-10 Ford gas mpg was 8.5 with a K&N Filter and one slide and no towing..
I have a Chevy 6.0 with 3 slides no K&N Filter yet and tow 3600 lbs and get 9.5 to10.2mpg

and love the power.. Only have 5100 miles on it and will get K&N filter when I return home....Hope this helps!!!!

gtony2
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

I have a '85 gmc 6.2l diesel with a 3 speed tranny. I haven't calculated how far p/ litre but it's cheap as hell to run. Can climb any hills no prob

1985 apalache
Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
I had a V-10 Ford gas mpg was 8.5 with a K&N Filter and one slide and no towing..
I have a Chevy 6.0 with 3 slides no K&N Filter yet and tow 3600 lbs and get 9.5 to10.2mpg

and love the power.. Only have 5100 miles on it and will get K&N filter when I return home....Hope this helps!!!!

gtony2
Hmmm.... I think Chevy is pulling ahead slightly.

By the way, what's the length of your coach? And what's the CCC? I'm hoping to find a Class C coach in the 28-29' range with 2,400 - 3,200 lbs of ccc.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #8

Smile Chevy or ford

Hi all
We have had 2 Fords and now in the bounder we have the Chevy v8 with the Alison trans. Runs great but loves the gas LOL. Also pull a 2door wrangler

Good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is beginning to sound like a NASCAR thread...lol. Each brand has its loyal following. It appears that the RV mfg industry goes through phases. Anyone remember when there used to be a lot of Dodge units out there?

BTW, we have a Chevy.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've owned both. The big block Chevy got about 1 MPG better for similar weight RV. Ford has a bit more power. Ride in my case is about the same. Handling of the Chevy was a bit better until I added the rear sway bar to the Ford (big improvement). Some like the doghouse on the Chevy having a bit more room for the passenger. I changed the cup holder / console part on our Ford for a smaller one from a different model year for more room. Some don't realize that you can remove it completely for a lot more room. I personally find the fit and finish of the cab (both outside and in) to be better on the Ford.

All in all, I have been satisfied with both.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I've owned both. The big block Chevy got about 1 MPG better for similar weight RV. Ford has a bit more power. Ride in my case is about the same. Handling of the Chevy was a bit better until I added the rear sway bar to the Ford (big improvement). Some like the doghouse on the Chevy having a bit more room for the passenger. I changed the cup holder / console part on our Ford for a smaller one from a different model year for more room. Some don't realize that you can remove it completely for a lot more room. I personally find the fit and finish of the cab (both outside and in) to be better on the Ford.

All in all, I have been satisfied with both.

1 mpg difference adds up when you're talking about driving 12-14k per year. So, maybe Chevy still has a teeny edge. But once ready to purchase, if it's a Ford I fall in love with ...

Love the one you're with, love the one you're with ....
Doo doo doo doo doo doot doot
Doo doo doo doo doo doot doot, d'd doot
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just as a side thought GM has not made a vehicle in the last 20 years that hasn't been recalled
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

Yet recalls don't seem to dissuade the Toyota and Michelin zealots...

Tags
chevy, class c, ford