RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gallatin Tennessee
Posts: 21
Class A or Class C Towing Capacity

We recently sold our 5th wheel and are in the market for a Motorhome , class A or C. We are retired and want to travel the Us and parts of Canada with a focus on the National parks.
Concerned about the ability of the Class C to tow a vehicle thru the Western mountains . Would like to know ur experiences and thoughts ? We are open to gas or diesel but it seems most Cs are gas V10s.
__________________

Dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,675
Should not be a problem. I tow a 16 ft open car trailer with a Ford Escape on it and have gone through Colorado with it also West Virginia towing our Falcon on the trailer.
__________________

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,510
Depends on what you want to tow and how much junk you want to take with you. I tow my 2500 lb Honda Fit all over the Western Mountains (whatever they are) with my Mercedes diesel powered Navion. Sprinter based motorhomes are limited on what they can carry but they tow things just fine.

Class A diesel pushers have the highest tow ratings of 10,000-15,000 lbs. Class A gas units are usually 5000 lbs, Class C gas can vary but 5000 lbs is the average, Sprinter based Class Cs are 4200 lbs. All of these will fit in National Parks and all of these can be had in models that are less than 40'.

Time to go looking and make up your minds about what fits your lifestyle with the least interruption.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 447
I pull a Patriot on a dolly with no problem all over the place.
__________________
2016 Leprechaun 311 FS
Enjoying retirement
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
HighDesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Depends on what you want to tow and how much junk you want to take with you. I tow my 2500 lb Honda Fit all over the Western Mountains (whatever they are) with my Mercedes diesel powered Navion. Sprinter based motorhomes are limited on what they can carry but they tow things just fine.

Class A diesel pushers have the highest tow ratings of 10,000-15,000 lbs. Class A gas units are usually 5000 lbs, Class C gas can vary but 5000 lbs is the average, Sprinter based Class Cs are 4200 lbs. All of these will fit in National Parks and all of these can be had in models that are less than 40'.

Time to go looking and make up your minds about what fits your lifestyle with the least interruption.
What Luvlabs said - Biggest issue with Class C's on the Sprinter chassis is weight. The Sprinter I had (2017 Sunseeker) had a tow capacity of 4200 pounds. Now have a gas class A and it is 5000 pounds. DP's are higher. All depends on how big you want to go. Sprinters work well as you can go about anywhere with them. The bigger you go, the less options you have. With our Class A, we lost ability to get into about 30% of the places we liked to go - but, we are lot more comfortable than we were. All about tradeoffs, I suppose.
__________________
2019 Tiffen Allegro Open Road 32SA
2008 Jeep JKS Toad
F53 / 24000 # chassis
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Winterbagoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 775
Just to clarify a point made here.

The Sprinter based Class/Type C coaches like my Navion, have a Class III hitch installed that has a towing rating of 5,000 lbs with a tongue weight of 500 lbs.

The 4200 lb tow rating that has been mentioned, would be your maximum usable towing capacity (4220lbs, actually) if you ran your Sprinter based coach loaded up to the max 11,030 lb GVWR limit. GCWR 15,250 lbs - GVWR 11,030 lbs = remaining tow capacity 4220 lbs.

As long as you don't exceed the 5,000/500 lb hitch/tongue weight capacity, and stay under the Sprinter's GCWR of 15,250 lbs, you can tow heavier then 4200 lbs. - you just have to lighten the towing vehicle.

I tow a 4500 lb Wrangler JKU with my Navion, and simply reduce the actual weight of the Navion to allow me to tow a heaver vehicle, and stay within the 15,250 lb GCWR.
__________________
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gallatin Tennessee
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Depends on what you want to tow and how much junk you want to take with you. I tow my 2500 lb Honda Fit all over the Western Mountains (whatever they are) with my Mercedes diesel powered Navion. Sprinter based motorhomes are limited on what they can carry but they tow things just fine.

Class A diesel pushers have the highest tow ratings of 10,000-15,000 lbs. Class A gas units are usually 5000 lbs, Class C gas can vary but 5000 lbs is the average, Sprinter based Class Cs are 4200 lbs. All of these will fit in National Parks and all of these can be had in models that are less than 40'.

Time to go looking and make up your minds about what fits your lifestyle with the least interruption.
Thank you for your reply but would like further clarification. If we get a class c it would be in the 30’ range (14k pounds)and unfortunately none of the diesel sprinters are that big . How well do the gas v10 pull in mountains and specifically how fast can u go pulling a 4000 pound car.? Also how Loud is the motor going up a hill or mountain?
Dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gallatin Tennessee
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Should not be a problem. I tow a 16 ft open car trailer with a Ford Escape on it and have gone through Colorado with it also West Virginia towing our Falcon on the trailer.
What Size Rv are u pulling with and is it gas or diesel?
How fast can u go and how loud is the motor? We are looking at a class C in the 30’ range which most r gas, Sprinters are great but too small for us since we will be traveling for up to 3 months at a time.
Dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Winterbagoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinop View Post
Thank you for your reply but would like further clarification. If we get a class c it would be in the 30’ range (14k pounds)and unfortunately none of the diesel sprinters are that big . How well do the gas v10 pull in mountains and specifically how fast can u go pulling a 4000 pound car.? Also how Loud is the motor going up a hill or mountain?
I've pulled the same Wrangler JKU with the 2016 Sunstar, in the hills of the Appalachians and across I-26 and from Myrtle Beach to Knoxville on I-75 and it handled the towing part pretty well. It weighed around 14,000 lbs.
The V10 tells you you're headed up hills by raising it's voice, because the horsepower and torque ranges on the 2016 V10 3Valve 6 Speed transmission are pretty high. It is loud. Don't ask about fuel economy pulling hard up hills, because there isn't any.

In our experience, that was one of the reasons to switch to the Sprinter based Navion. The 3.0L V6 turbo diesel is much quieter and burns less fuel under similar conditions.
__________________
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,190
Dino-

See my answer over at your other post:

Class A 32' or Less
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 208
In the size range you are looking at your are pretty much going to get a Ford chassis in a class C, not sure about class A's as I'm not shopping for them. Something to really watch is how much Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) you have to give up to stay within the combined weight rating. For instance one of the popular Super C's I was looking had a CCC of about 6,000 lbs. It also had a 10,000 hitch which sounds great until you look at the combined weight rating. In order to tow 10,000 lbs of trailer you would have to give up 5,000 lbs of your CCC leaving you with just over 1,000 lbs in CCC. I also looked at a class C on a Ford chassis that only had something like 1,300 lbs of CCC without a trailer. Just some math you should do before you make your purchase.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinop View Post
What Size Rv are u pulling with and is it gas or diesel?
How fast can u go and how loud is the motor? We are looking at a class C in the 30’ range which most r gas, Sprinters are great but too small for us since we will be traveling for up to 3 months at a time.
E450SD gas 32 ft long with a 20 ft open car trailer. Pulled through Colorado and West Virginia.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I've pulled the same Wrangler JKU with the 2016 Sunstar, in the hills of the Appalachians and across I-26 and from Myrtle Beach to Knoxville on I-75 and it handled the towing part pretty well. It weighed around 14,000 lbs.
The V10 tells you you're headed up hills by raising it's voice, because the horsepower and torque ranges on the 2016 V10 3Valve 6 Speed transmission are pretty high. It is loud. Don't ask about fuel economy pulling hard up hills, because there isn't any.

In our experience, that was one of the reasons to switch to the Sprinter based Navion. The 3.0L V6 turbo diesel is much quieter and burns less fuel under similar conditions.
V10 in a Class C is only a 2 valve. 3 valve does not fit,too wide.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
1ciderdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
V10 in a Class C is only a 2 valve. 3 valve does not fit,too wide.
You might want to check that out. My 2007 class C is the 3 valve V-10.
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K or 2007 Winnebago Outlook Ford V-10, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 2015 RAM Limited 4X4
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing, class a, class c, tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dinop Dinop New Member Check-In 5 06-03-2019 11:01 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.