Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Class A ride vs Super C

We currently have a 35' Class A, but for reasons of service and maintenance, are looking at a couple of Super C's (Embark & Dynamax). I've read posts that say the Super C's ride and handle much better. Being a technical kind of guy, I would like to understand the reasoning for that. And one would have to assume similar configurations, i.e. Freightliner chassis, similar GVW, air suspension. My guess would be it has to do with in a Class A, (not a FRED) the driver is over or in front of the steering wheels. But why does that transulate into better ride/handling ?
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Trucks (most A's) ride rougher than vans (C's).

JMHO

G L Arnold
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

My class "C" rode better than all the "A" 's I had. None were diesels. I attributed the better ride to the air bag system on the class C.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A super C is not built on a van chassis. So the truck chassis versus van chassis doesn't really apply here.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Class A gas and some Super C ride on big leaf springs. These make for a rough ride. If they have air suspension everything gets better.

Normal Class C have coil springs up front which make it much nicer than any leaf. Remember the old Jeeps bouncing down the road. Now with coil springs much nicer.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

I can tell you my Dynamax Super C rides tremendously better than my E450 Winabago.
It doesn't get blown around when a truck passes and can handle 50-60 MPH cross winds that would make me park a regular A or C. I am partial to truck cabs as I like the safety of all that steel in front of me, and driver and passenger doors for entry and exit.
Dune Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the thoughts. In retrospect, It may be theoretical, but is does make a difference in ride quality. Could it be that the driver in a Super C is closer to the center of gravity than in a Pusher ?. Kind of like sitting in the saddle rather than hanging from the neck.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

A class A. You ride over the front axel. In a class C you ride between the front and rear axel. So you get a smoother ride.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

2000 GM pursuit
Need help- is it normal for my 35 ft GB to. Bounce when I go over small bumps on the road. I'm new to driving a rv and I don't know how gage the driving performance. Is it always a bouncy ride? It passed safety and the mechanic said it was structurally ok. Why is it so bumpy?
Timoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #10

A real Super C is a truck chassis, that is not really much different design than a class A, as stated above as far as suspension. The difference, besides engine in front vs engine in rear, is that you are behind the front axle a little so it tends to make a bit nicer ride. If you want a super soft ride, a Super C is not for you. You can get air ride which is nice, but it is still a heavy duty chassis and physics of the weight. Plus you have big truck tires with less sidewall compliance.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Hauler View Post
I can tell you my Dynamax Super C rides tremendously better than my E450 Winabago.
It doesn't get blown around when a truck passes and can handle 50-60 MPH cross winds that would make me park a regular A or C. I am partial to truck cabs as I like the safety of all that steel in front of me, and driver and passenger doors for entry and exit.
Blowing around in wind has a lot to do on how much the coach weighs. My new class c weighs in at 12,500 loaded. Wind will push it around a bit. I am going to install a rear track bar which should help the rear leaf springs stay straight.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

TCHB
track bar will help some, I installed on my Winnebago Access 26QP, Bilstein shocks,Roadmaster sway bars, Blue Ox track bar, SafeTPlus steering stabilizer. All this made the unit drive-able to my standards. But I still prefer my Dynamax, so I gave Winni to my Kids.
Dune Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #13

I dont ask which one is better. I drive them. All of them. It costs nothing but time. That is what demo rigs are for.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #14

I have had both. A 40' Winnebago Journey pusher and a Jayco Embark. I absolutely hated the ride and drive of the pusher. To me it was all the movement and rocking and roll from the air suspension. I just never felt in control. It felt like I was driving something much larger than it was. Just floating along.

The Embark is on a truck chassis with only rear air ride. When you are driving it is like driving a big pickup truck. You have a normal feel of the vehicle. It rides rougher than the pusher did but not bad enough to consider putting in air ride seats which I thought I would need.

I would never consider buying another A unless it was a tandem axle bus.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a