Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #15
Rent one and try it out. There are rental places all over and some of the dealers actually have rentals. It's a little expensive, about the cost of a hotel room. Better to spend a little money now than to lose big because you made a mistake.

tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
Rent one and try it out. There are rental places all over and some of the dealers actually have rentals. It's a little expensive, about the cost of a hotel room. Better to spend a little money now than to lose big because you made a mistake.

I agree.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I notice very little wind draft from bigger rigs going by in the 30' class C. Not towing going 60-65mph I get 8.5

Going 70 -75 it drops down to 7.5

When towing my Geo Tracker I av 8mpg at 60-65

I spent a week in 100-105f and my ac unit kept up but did best if I shut the door between badroom bath area and main part of coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TheDogNPonyShow - Bellingham WA USA
Road Home of BlackFyre Arabians & Belgian Shepherds
"Love what you do, Do what you LOVE!"

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
2015 winnebago minnie winnie 31K did not come with stability jacks. Dealer installed the manual jacks as part of the deal
Flyboy rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I currently own the Jayco Melbourne 29D, sometimes called a B+. We love it! We have looked at "A"'s and go back home to our B+, happy. Now, the new model is even better with the JRide suspension, and they now offer leveling jacks. Our mileage is 9-10.2 towing HHR on level roads and light foot at 55-58 miles per hour. Love the tow haul feature when in hills and mountains. We did have to add the Blue ox tiger trac bar for tail wag.
Paul & Carol plus 2 Bichons
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G, Blue Ox Tiger TracBar, 5 Star
2008 HHR Toad & Working hard at retirement
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I actually went the opposite way (Class C 26 FT to Class A 27 FT). My wife and I enjoy the Class A much better. We like the open cab which incorporates the driver and passenger chairs as part of the living room. The lack of separation between the cab area and the living room make the Class A seem so much bigger. We gained additional outside storage space and just feel more comfortable. The only thing I did not initially like was driving the Class A. To me it is a lot different to drive and handle; however, as I continue to drive the Class A, the more comfortable I get. In my opinion, if you can drive a Class A, you can definitely drive a Class C.

Mileage is about the same. Both are V-10.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
We downsized from a 2008 National Dolphin to a Itasca 26Q and love the way it drives. The ride is much nicer than the class A because of the van front end coil springs and lower center gravity of the coach.
It is smaller but it works for us because we typically do not stay too long in one place.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
Just sold our 2007 Forest River Forester 30' class c and bought a class A.
Our class c rode pretty rough until I put different tires and Shocks all the way around.
Can't recall off hand what tires I put on but they were a little over $250 each and they made a pretty good impact on the way it rode.
After that I put a a set of Bilstein shocks and Bilstein steering stabilizer on and that was a tremendous difference.
This unit only had 25,000 miles on it when I did the upgrades but it made it ride really nice, well worth the investment.
I managed around 7.5 mpg with mine but when I get on the interstate I want to get where I'm going so 75-80 mph for me.
My new coach is a DP so it is so much quiter to drive I love it.
Ours did not have levelers but I never had to much trouble with a set of drive on levelers and a set of stabilzer jacks to screw down just to keep the coach from rocking in the wind and when someone was coming in or out.
Hope this helps
2005 Cross Country SE 376ds (Sold)
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #23
We have a 31 ft Thor . Agree with everything stated, ours came with a 13000 btu ac, changed it out to a 15000 btu unit , really helped. We like it cold.
2011 Chateau 31 ft. (2005 Jeep Wrangler)
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
We have a 31 ft Thor . Agree with everything stated, ours came with a 13000 btu ac, changed it out to a 15000 btu unit , really helped. We like it cold.
Tinting the windows really helps in the heat.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #25
Regarding the J-Ride, if you compare it to the stock Ford F-53 chassis per Ford's brochures, you might be a bit surprised to find out that Jayco is really just hyping the new Ford F-53 chassis. Not that enough people know that there is a Ford gas motorhome Class A chassis on all the V10 gassers, it makes it easy for Jayco to suggest they are offering something special.

What is special is the new (since around 2009) Ford F-53 super duty Class A motorhome chassis. Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago, etc. all use the same, so-called by Jayco J-Ride chassis and so does Jayco.

Even Newmar gets into the marketing hype.
"Canyon Star delivers a soothing ride thanks to a Ford F-53 chassis custom-made for Newmar."

The custom made chassis for Newmar is the same custom made chassis for Jayco, Tiffin, and Winnebago.

Per the Ford brochure:

All Ford Class A Motorhome Chassis are equipped with premium Bilstein®
front and rear shock absorbers to provide smooth ride characteristics. Road
jolts and shocks are reduced even further by the addition of front and rear
variable-rate jounce bumpers.
Variable Rate Jounce Bumpers provide exceptional shock-reduction when
potholes, or other imperfections are experienced while driving a motorhome.
They help to insulate the driver, passengers and contents from road bumps
and jolts. Jounce bumpers complement the premium, gas-pressurized shock
absorbers, stabilizer bars, and springs to provide excellent ride characteristics.
Heavy-duty front and rear stabilizer bars are standard on all Ford Class A
motorhome chassis. Also standard equipment is the heavy-duty front track
bar for enhanced ride"

Now, go compare this to the J-Ride!
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #26
We downsized from a 33' class A to a 24' C once it was just hte 2 of us and never looked back. Not needing all that room, the C was easier to drive and park plus you both have your own doors and the cabover is a nice sunvisor. The A let too much sun in making the ac work harder. The C's are build safer and most garages will work on a C compared to an A. Just make sure you sit in the seat with the slide in as many times its a tight fit in the drivers seat.

lazycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, class c