Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Class A to Class C

We're thinking about going from a 38' Class A (GAS Ford V10) to a 30 plus foot Class C. It looks like most class C's only have 1 Air Conditioner unit and are 30 amps.
My questions are:
1. How does it drive / handle at 65 plus MPH on the expressway with passing trucks.
2. How is cooling in the heat of summer in 90 plus degrees with 1 air unit.
3. What MPG does the V10 get?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
We're thinking about going from a 38' Class A (GAS Ford V10) to a 30 plus foot Class C. It looks like most class C's only have 1 Air Conditioner unit and are 30 amps.
My questions are:
1. How does it drive / handle at 65 plus MPH on the expressway with passing trucks.
2. How is cooling in the heat of summer in 90 plus degrees with 1 air unit.
3. What MPG does the V10 get?
Thanks
We went from a 31' class-C (Thor) to our current class-A (33' Dolphin), so I can tell you what I remember, although it was over 9 years ago.

1. It drove great on the interstate, but when towing our jeep wrangler 65 mph was pushing it. With all RV's, the big trucks passing you will push you around. You have to pay attention at all times. We have friends that bought a new class-C and hated the way it handled. Maybe I have just been lucky.

2. We lived in the DFW area when we owned the class-C, and went to Lake Texoma and other parks in the area with our boat. No problems whatsoever with the single AC keeping things cool.

3. Seems like the class-C did get a few MPG better than our Dolphin, but that has never been an issue with us. They all get crappy MPG, so why worry about it.

We purchased the Dolphin after deciding to go on longer trips for months at a time. We have no regrets with that decision, and have discussed doing what you are considering if we decide to slow down. Probably will not happen anytime soon, but I have always liked the looks of the Lazy Daze class-C's. Good luck with your choices, let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Class A to C

We have a 31 ft class c, no problem on the highway at 65. So far 1 air conditioner has done fine we love our unit. We have an Itasca Spirit.
Safe Travels
Old 10-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Around 8 miles to the gallon
Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Went just went from a 1999 Coachmen Mirada 34' class A to a 2001 31' Jayco class C.
I love the way the class C drives both on and off the highway. It's like driving a SUV. Bought the class C because we really wanted the large overhead bunk for the kids. It's actually a full queen size bed up there. MPG is about the same 8-9! No regrets here yet! Haven't towed a car with it yet so I can't help you there.

The only con is that the front seats don't become part on the living area like in the class A's. But we love the overhead bunk!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

Had a V-10 Atlantis got 8.5 mpg with K&N Filter No Towing... Now have a 27.5 ft
Chevy V-8 get 9.7 towing 3700 lbs no K&N filter 3 slides Sunseeker.. love it. Both
class C's handled great...

gtony2
Old 10-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Went from a 2002 36’ Challenger to a 2012 28’ Four Winds Chateau and love it. All the junk I had in the Challenger is now in the Chateau with room to spare. It handles very well at 70mph but the mileage sucks, won’t do that again. Grandson loves his “cave” in the cab over.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
WDW

I would suggest you drive a new Jayco with the J-Ride and the compare that to the others like Winnebago. I think you will find Jayco's finish and ride superior to the big name. Just make sure the tires have the proper inflation before the test drive. I would do a minimum of 100 miles RT on various roads to see if you agree.

Donn
Western New York
2014 Mini Winnie 27qp
"The Trolley"
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

We have a 2014 Thor Four Winds 31F. Traveled from Colorado to California and Oregon this summer and averaged 9.1 mpg. We usually drove around 65 MPH on Interstates. Could have gone faster, but weren't comfortable doing that with all the semi rigs. No problem climbing mountains.
We think the ride is great but you have to expect those semis to push you a bit. Nothing major, but definitely noticeable.
Haven't owned a Class A, but when test driving both types, we liked the tightness of the Class C and having a door next to the driver. We found a floor plan that we love with a side aisle and have had no major issues, just a few little things needed tweaked. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Commercial Member

One thing I never see mentioned when people talk about Ford chassis Class-C units is the very small foot space for passenger side. I strongly suggest you and your passenger spend a few minutes sitting in that seat and imagine what you will feel like after hours and hours of travel.
That is one of the main reasons we decided to not go with a Ford. It cut down our selection but at least we are more comfortable.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I would suggest you drive a new Jayco with the J-Ride and the compare that to the others like Winnebago. I think you will find Jayco's finish and ride superior to the big name. Just make sure the tires have the proper inflation before the test drive. I would do a minimum of 100 miles RT on various roads to see if you agree.

Donn
Western New York
2014 Mini Winnie 27qp
"The Trolley"
While I can't address Jayco it's definitely a x2 on the test drive
Old 11-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the passenger on the Ford rigs, you can ease that a bit by purchasing a console that fits on the doghouse from a different year. Better yet, many folks don't realize that the console easily removes all together while leaving the doghouse (engine cover) intact.

I have the smaller console installed.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do most of the class C RV's have leveling jacks or stabilizers?

We have a friend with a new Born Free class C and she said they can't put leveling jacks on it.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #14

My 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 23H does not have leveling jacks.

Tags
class a, class c