Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #15

Carolina Campers
Have you checked into a Mercedes Sprinter (I believe that is the name). If I were alone, I think I'd like one of those...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
found low miles Jayco 2015

I did find a very low miles Jayco gray hawk,2015 With winguard traveler,blue ox tow set up( that is what the base plate is on my jeep).I need to get on the road,in the next 2 weeks so this is what i am going with.The dealer is going through everything to day . As i am going from a 40 Monaco to a class c it will be a new learning curve.After i get use to smaller size and how it drives i think i will be happy with this selection. I am not going to spend as much time living in this as in the past. I do have a 120 watt portable solar to help with house batteries when i dry camp,30% of time this is what i do.Going from 6 house batt to one will be a challenge.Will see, just have to be flexible when you live a RV life style.
Thanks for all the advice,as i only had a short time the make this change.It only took 2 weeks to sell the Monaco.Time to make a move.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
So glad you found something that works. I like my Greyhawk. If you are boondocking a lot you may find a single battery to be somewhat limiting. I did a put in a tray to hold up to 4 batteries. I wrote up the project and it was published in Motorhome magazine. Of course you could do something less radical than my project by putting in another single tray or mounting another battery such as an AGM in a storage bin. With a 150 watt solar panel you may be just fine. Enjoy your preparations and your road trip. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Battery tray were did you put it. We're would put extra tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoylefcco View Post
So glad you found something that works. I like my Greyhawk. If you are boondocking a lot you may find a single battery to be somewhat limiting. I did a put in a tray to hold up to 4 batteries. I wrote up the project and it was published in Motorhome magazine. Of course you could do something less radical than my project by putting in another single tray or mounting another battery such as an AGM in a storage bin. With a 150 watt solar panel you may be just fine. Enjoy your preparations and your road trip. Please keep us posted on your progress.
We're did you put the 4 batteries ?were would one add a extra pull out tray
Old 03-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #19

FWIW we found one limiting but 2 deep cycle 12 V are working fine with a pattern of starting the generator in the AM before breakfast and in the evening before dinner. That has the heavy loads running off the genset as well as bulk charging the batteries.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tagcat, I had the single tray removed and the door. Then had a wider door installed. Then I fabricated a support bracket which I attached to the support rails under the slideout. I ordered Quikee tray to mount support the batteries. I thing you can find the article if you search on the Motorhome Magazine site. I also installed a 150 Amp circuit breaker between the batteries and the inverter and upgraded the inverter to 1000 watts. Have plenty of battery power with 2 6 volt batteries but could go to 4 if needed. Larry
Old 03-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
two 6v. batteries in my 2015 29mv

our 2015 Greyhawk 29 mv...go to Jayco Blog Class C, I have pics there. installed 2 6v. next to 12v. door, reinfforced floor, no cutting for new door like previous post, works awesome, installed easy fill water system for batteries, 2 6v. way better than 2 12v. for extra juice...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
pics battery

see the pics of 6v. install ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150704_104644.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	120561  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
6v. battery install

another pic I hope..tried to put both pics in same message..I faiiled...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150704_105028.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	120566  
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
solar??

The big thing will this void the warranty? I will look in to some of your suggestions on adding extra batteries next to battery box on unit.Need to learn more on solar and the right way to do it as i hate to redo things.I wish there was some place i could go to to help with this project as i am weak in this area.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
warranty ?

have no idea if this voids warranty, can't imagine why it would, only enhances usefulness of RV, it is pitiful that Jayco supplies one measly 12v. battery for the coach in the first place.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
If Jayco would make their single tray longer you could put two 6 volts in. Might take a look at replacing just the tray. Would definitely put in a 150 Amp DC circuit breaker between batteries and inverter. CB vs fuse. Cb is better. No chance of getting stranded without a fuse. Also let's you run off all power to the house so there is no leakage when in storage. You can buy one for $60 on ebay.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
6v. battery install

Sorry but 6v. batteries are to big for the 12v. slide out tray...too wide....even running two 12v. end to end in there if you could will never give you the storage capacity of 2 6v. batteries...I think Jayco really needs to come up with a better house battery system, and not go the Cheap route....like they continue to do in all their motorhomes...
Old 03-10-2016, 05:21 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I agree the tray is to small.I am going to use the bay to the left install 2 amg gel 6 volt that way i have room for more later.Since i am new to the solar i have to do more research on putting this system together.I do not want to redo any thing. I thought all i had to do is add batteries& hook up my portable panels. Reading up on inverters,sine wave vs pure sine wave, c/b vs fuse.I lot of things this new-be base to learn on solar.My goal is to just watch tv & run a few lights while stopped for the night with no hook ups,no a/c or coffee pot.Keep the load light.
Thanks for all the help.

Tags
class a, class c