Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class A to Class C

I got a 2004 Monaco 40' about 3 years ago.My wife and i were going to travel about 5 months a year.She passed away 1 1/2 years ago.I still plan on traveling in the south for at least the next 2 years( I am a artist making shows in the southern states)
My question is every time i put the 40' in the shop it is $1000, I am trying to keep overhead low and down time to a minim .Right now it is 1 1/2 months to get service done!.I have been looking at a Jayco 29' ME ,ford E-450 new for $ 95000.With trade in(been trying to sell on own .No luck.Never been in a class C,but need less time in shop as this has caused time i need to make my shows.Between trade in and new price have to go out of pocket $40000.This is a lot of money. Selling a m/h you take a hit ,but life changes,so do i!
I would like to hear anyones option With the 2 year warranty is some piece of mind.Do you think i am gaining or loosing doing this.I can make the less storage work by packing more in my Grand cherokee. When i trade in there is no turning back.I would prefer not to sell one maintenance problem for another.Cut my losses if i can.Trade or drive the 40' tell the wheels fall off.
Thanks for any advice this Class c
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Never bought a new MH. I would hope to get at or above NADA wholesale on my trade-in. Check out several dealers for pricing.

I travel alone. I went from a 36’ class A gasser too my current 28’ class C and find storage space is not that much different. Some class Cs have terrible storage space and holding tanks.

Warranty is only as good as the dealer’s reputation. Ford can be serviced by any trusted local mechanic.

So far the class C costs allot less to keep running.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry for your loss. Hard thing to deal with.

I bought a slightly used Jayco Class C that was five years old and had 3200 miles on it. I have driven it 17000 miles and have had no maintenence or breakdown issues. Maintenance is simple and cheap. Jayco is well made with good fit and finish. You might look at a lightly used unit vs new. I got mine at less than half of the new price.
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Do you spend in repairs more then the $40,000.00 hit you are taking? I think I would continue to try and sell on my own and drop the price another 10,000 for quick sale. you would save 30,000.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

tagcat, if I am reading your proposed deal right, you are overpaying for the Jayco on top of getting zero for your Monaco! Go to RVdirect.com and do the build a unit for your Jayco. They will email you a price and I bet it will be less than $95,000 outright. I bet it will be quite a bit less, actually.

They actually operate dealerships, and would probably shoot you a trade in number too. In any event, you can use their price to make your local dealer get real. You could also just take your Monaco to PPL Motorhomes in Houston or DFW and have them sell it on consignment. Or give it to me instead of to the dealer!

If I am misreading your deal, I apologize.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
$40000 is 40 trips to the shop, which you probably won't have to do, but you will come out of pocket $40000 for the difference to purchase the Jayco. The class C may be less overhead in the long run.....life can be a crap shoot sometimes. Sorry for your loss, good luck.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
update on M/H

Life is a crap shoot,but last night came up good. I had a couple call about 40' monaco from Washington St last night after many more photos and phone calls they bought it.Put $2000.00 deposit through pay pal and going to fly out this week end and pick it up . Got a lot more$ than trading in
This is all good just have to find a new M/H. I need to start traveling to the art shows by the middle of March so under the gun.Still thinking about the 29" jayco ME.Never bought a new one before, now with not trading in using cash dealers will work harder on price!.The warranty is a big plus,not sure, i have been looking at low milage used and have not found one as of yet.
Thanks for everyones advice.I really love this forum
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

Most C's are built on a Ford E450 chassis with a V-10 engine. This combination is very easy to service and parts are readily available anywhere. The base vehicle has been in use for years for everything from ambulances to delivery trucks. It is a solid, reliable combination that will deliver many miles and years of service.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #9

FWIW Layout is not perfect but not horrid. Make sure it is usable with the slides in. It's interesting that the fresh water tank is small relative to the black and gray. That might work in your favor as fresh water may be easier than dump stations. ;-) You should be able to hit 25-30% off list or find another dealer. Maintenance on the E-450 chassis will be peanuts compared to any DP.

When you are dealing or setting up the PDI tell them you want them to show you how to check the inside dual wheel tire pressure and adjust as needed. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

What about a shorter class A gasser? 27-28'.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
Life is a crap shoot,but last night came up good. I had a couple call about 40' monaco from Washington St last night after many more photos and phone calls they bought it. Put $2000.00 deposit through pay pal and going to fly out this week end and pick it up . Got a lot more$ than trading in
Hope that isn't in a PayPal escrow account! PayPal doesn't have a such thing and lots of people get ripped off that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Most C's are built on a Ford E450 chassis with a V-10 engine. This combination is very easy to service and parts are readily available anywhere. The base vehicle has been in use for years for everything from ambulances to delivery trucks. It is a solid, reliable combination that will deliver many miles and years of service.
Former Class-C owner here (Jayco):
It's relatively easy to find parts for the V10s (especially the newer ones) - it's a modern motor, reliable, shouldn't need parts.

It's NOT necessarily easy to get service for. Although the chassis is common, not many shops will be able to accommodate a 29' foot RV that's likely more than 10' tall. They simply won't fit on most lifts and you'll be looking at facilities that support commercial trucks. Basically there were 2 Ford dealers in DFW that could handle a big Class-C Jayco.

New RVs have shake down issues. Chances are you'll have no major problems, but it's not like buying a new Honda.

Also, driving that thing off the lot, for the first 3 years, you're probably losing $1k/month in depreciation, if not more... So consider that against your diesel pusher repair bill.

IMHO - Monaco builds great RVs. Yes, it's a bigger hassle to change the oil. Likely it also drives nicer, has better interior space, and is pretty much done depreciating.

In terms of space, I actually prefer the Class-C design, but I've got kids...

Good luck. Make sure you get a good price on a new one (ask on this forum) before you plop down $95k!
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

Go with a USED C

I, too, am sorry for your loss and the situation it's put you in.

I purchased a used Class C with about 7000 miles on it. I was also able to purchase a warranty on it, just because I was concerned about the what-ifs.

I have been lucky, but have yet to need to hit the warranty for anything.
Find a reputable dealer who sells used vehicles that have been checked out or sells on consignment. There are good ones out there. I can't imagine spending the money and eating the depreciation on a new one.

Good luck to you!!
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Basically there were 2 Ford dealers in DFW that could handle a big Class-C Jayco.
I'd be grateful to know the names of the 2 Ford dealers in DFW that work on a Class C? Thanks in advance.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c