Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #1

Hello Everyone,

I know this has probably been discussed, but here I am to ask again. Has anyone gone from a Class A motorhome to a Class C? What are your observations and feelings? Do you feel you gave up much? Or did you gain? How about fuel mileage. Thanks for your help. I will better scan the Class C forum when I get home tonight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #2

Hello Everyone,

I know this has probably been discussed, but here I am to ask again. Has anyone gone from a Class A motorhome to a Class C? What are your observations and feelings? Do you feel you gave up much? Or did you gain? How about fuel mileage. Thanks for your help. I will better scan the Class C forum when I get home tonight.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 AM   #3

I have a long park trailer (36' with two queen bedrooms) with two slides and a 27' class C with no slides but a rear queen and a queen in the bunk. This may or may not help, but here's what I have experienced:
-the bunk option is great...the kid can go to sleep and the adults can stay up...we don't have to give up the dinette to make a bed!
-the hallway is narrow...no tag-team cooking in our class C...only one person up and about at a time is best in our class C
-there is NO counter space in our class C

I hope this helps!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

We went this route last fall. We moved from a 32 foot Class A gasser to a Super C diesel. Our chief motivation was the diesel motor and the upgraded ammenities within our budget of less than $125K.

Our Seneca is 35.5 feet long and provides about the same interior space as our previous Class A. The DW really likes the interior better and I really like the Duramax motor and full body paint. The cab is plenty roomy for us and does not have the large motor cover found in most gas Class C's. The Duramax motor is much quiter than the 8.1 gasser, especially when climbing hills and it has been averaging 10 MPG vs. the 7 to 8 with our 8.1. The "C" does not have the panaramic view of a Class A, but is considerably cooler when driving into a hot afternoon sun. Also, we do miss being able to turn the front seats back to become part of the living room, however, we so use the cab for storage while camping.

A lot of "C" drivers say they feel safer in a Class C with the engine, frame and dash airbags in front of them. Some say they simply enjoy the feeling of driving a truck rather than a bus. So much of this just depends on your preferrences.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Paul
Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

We find the ride much smoother in our Class C than the A. With the A you sit roiht over the front wheels. With the C you sit behind the front wheels. This was also true when I drove cab over trucks compared to the conventional cab truck's We went from a 35' A to a 29' C. Lost some storeage. But I carries a lot of JUNK in the A I never needed.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #6

Thanks Everyone. I have had three As (2 DP and 1 gas)as well as couple of fifth wheels. We are searching for the right thing. Have ruled out FW as don't care to drive large truck everywhere. The kayaks fit better on the CRV behind the motorhome. Have not had a C and am researching. Appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

I sold my 2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38' last May, and bought a Dutchmen Kodiak model 33K Class C in June, 2007... nothing but problems with the Dutchmen, and will probably go back to a Class A if I ever get rid of my Dutchmen...I should add that I like the Kodiak and the Duramax diesel... it's the Four Winds product that I have a problem with, and the short wheelbase and weight distribution problems. See my blog at www.rvfactor.blogspot.com

Denny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
Hello Everyone,

I know this has probably been discussed, but here I am to ask again. Has anyone gone from a Class A motorhome to a Class C? What are your observations and feelings? Do you feel you gave up much? Or did you gain? How about fuel mileage. Thanks for your help. I will better scan the Class C forum when I get home tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #8

Denny, On your ordeal with the Super C Dutchman.

Is it the Kodiak chassis or the Dutchman "house" causing the problems.

Thanks for your input.

Richard
Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #9

Richard,

The Kodiak is great! The Dutchmen, the short wheelbase, and the weight distribution is the problem...check out my blog...if you find a shorter Kodiak, or one with a longer wheelbase with adequate cargo carrying capacity. Even the 32' Four Winds is OK if you don't mind the quality issue. Weigh the four corners before you buy the coach to be sure the weight distribution is OK.

Denny
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #10

Checked out your blog. What a mess. Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #11

Thanks for the "review." Actually, I have just started... last night I discovered Four Winds used a fabric type material for a "bellyboard." You will find fabric bellyboard in only the cheapest built RV's... most are heavy abs plastic or galvanized steel. I will be posting several more issues today... stay tuned.

Denny
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #12

this has been very helpful to us, too. we have debated a c vs. an a. we are partial to the c. we do have the truck with a lance now and prefer the way the truck drives. we've taken out a seneca and thought it drove pretty good (for what it was). never drove an a. when we are ready to upgrade we are 99% sure it will be a diesel c.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #13

I've had diesels and enjoyed them very much. As I have gotten older (and cheaper, wife would say), I've grown more uncomfortable with the cost of the diesel over a gas model. The DP complexity is much greater as is routine maintenace costs. And since it stays parked most of the time, even when used constantly, for us gas made more sense. I was trying to get input on how others felt who had gone from an A to a C. In a perfect world, I would have another diesel. Best of luck whichever road you take. I don't believe there are any wrong ones out there.

Richard