Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class A to class C need your advice

2 years ago my wife and i sold our house and got a Monaco 40 diesel pusher with 4 slides and went full time.She passed away a year ago i have spent this winter traveling towing my jeep,just me and the cat.Been looking at the class C in the camp grounds and really liked them .
I built a new house still want to travel but not as much as when she was alive(plan on starting dating again soon).
I am in Tx ao my way back to Fayetteville Ar(home base) been in a a place south of Ft Worth motor home specialty ,been there before and they have some great prices.Going to see about trading in my Monaco for one of there low miles class c.I know i will take a hit on money ,but just to tired to try and sell my self and start looking again.
This is were you advice comes in .I know nothing about a class C ,gas-diesel,levelers,no levelers.I do do a fair amount of boon docking so i will want to add some solar,extra batteries,win guard traveler for my dish.
I have been pulling my Jeep Grand Cherokee would still like to most of the times.Sometimes my trailer( can my air force one still be used?)
Just left big bend a man there had a 2015 view that i liked the lay out,also saw a sun seeker i liked? I am thinking 27'---32'? not sure trips will be from 1 week to 2 months.
Any advice would be helpful. They will sell it for me for6% then wait and look around( can empty the Monaco in my brothers garage he lives very close cat and i can drive jeep back to ArOr just trade??.Would like to find something asap get back to traveling ,felt with diesel prices the way they are this might be a good time to make this change.
Thank You Tim
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #2

Tim-

Here are links to some iRV2 threads on similar topics.

https://www.google.com/#q=%22downsiz...+site:irv2.com
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/move-...ze-261194.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/pros-...cs-276095.html
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #3

Tim;I have owned both. Liked both. My class C was well equipped with hot water tank generator etc. I sold the C because I wanted something newer so that's when I bought the Diesel .I would not hesitate to buy another C . When you are alone plus cat you will have plenty of room. They drive very nice and are well equipped . At todays gas prices there is no difference in cost driving either one. Check out your potential unit so you don't get any surprises. But you know what to look for.
Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
Tim;I have owned both. Liked both. My class C was well equipped with hot water tank generator etc. I sold the C because I wanted something newer so that's when I bought the Diesel .I would not hesitate to buy another C . When you are alone plus cat you will have plenty of room. They drive very nice and are well equipped . At todays gas prices there is no difference in cost driving either one. Check out your potential unit so you don't get any surprises. But you know what to look for.
Cheers Gerald
Wife and I just sold our 27 foot Itasca Sunstar, class A, and will probably buy a Navion or View. Just the 2 of us with several small dogs. I drove several and especially like the leg room with the Diesel front end. Look around and give them a test drive. The 24/25 ft length is also a big plus.

Good luck!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #5

Tim, in addition to looking at a c class, you should consider a small class a such as the Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702/2705. If boon docking, tank storage, external storage could both be issues, and these have decent sizes in both. Plus, Newmar makes a good unit.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in the Lowell area and have had two class A's and one class C. The class C actually had more room for sleeping than either class A.

We do like the WBGO line. STill think you get your best bang for the buck.

With the changes in units and improvement in things like LED lighting, 3-way water heaters:engine heat (WBGO only), gas and electric, there is something to be said for ordering a unit so you get what you want. Also with the change to the 6-speed in the F-53 chassis I have heard nothing but great reviews.

We have a 2014 unit with the 2013 chassis. No you can't wait around until all the newest things are on a unit cause you'd never buy one but some of the latest changes like the 6-speed sure seem very nice.

Like I said we live close. If you ever need an ear to listen and to talk RV's over a cup of coffee send me a PM and we'll get together.

I've got a good friend in West Fork. Actually he's your Mayor but please don't hold that against me. Sometimes we can't help who we know. We will be home until mid Spring.

TeJay
Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

FWIW I think you hit the sweet spot at 29-32 ft. That is big enough to have somewhat separate spaces, adequate storage and some room on the roof for your solar and satellite. If you plan on boondocking much skip the residential refrigerator as you do not have room for a lot of battery. I cannot emphasize enough to sit in every position and look at everything you want to see. There are some really interesting layout tricks that leave your feet dangling on the toilet or give you a stiff neck watching the TV if you can see it, or close off getting to the back with opposing slides in. Try it all and if something does not feel good then walk. There are decent layouts.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #8

Down sized from A to 27 C. Miss the sofa or a chair. Only have dinette and it gets old. Trips are usually 2-4 months duration.
Have looked at 32 Tiffin Breeze undecided.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes when going smaller some comfort items may not fit. IMHO the dinette is something we have NEVER liked. When we started researching for our new coach we looked for ones with the table and chairs instead of the dinette.

I don't know when they began offering the separate table and chairs but we love it way more than the dinette. On our other 5 units both in the MH and TT lines the dinettes were uncomfortable and awful to set in and play cards or even for eating.

The WBGO 30 T came with two very comfortable chairs and two fold up chairs. We took the two larger chairs out and use the fold up chairs. They set on the rear bed when we travel. It keeps the center isle more open and if we stop for lunch set up the chairs or set on the couch.

WBGO does have a very nice and comfortable dinette that will seat 10. Really!! Now often will any RV'ers have 10 people over for dinner,games,cards etc??

We travel with the WBGO club of AR for about 8-10 gatherings every year. When we gather if it's warm we are outdoors. When it rains we are under canopies. When it's cold we are in a club house. We never gather in our coaches.

We also have one of those fold out couches. It is comfortable for setting, watching TV but we almost never use it as a bed. Again because it disrupts the only gathering area and it is not comfortable for sleeping.

I realize that each coach if for the person buying them. This is why it is sometimes a good reason to order (or search) until you find exactly what you want or need.

When we were at the WBGO factory in Iowa we met a couple from out West. They bought their first MH thinking that the GK's would travel with them sometimes. In a year they went once.

TeJay
Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #10

You can put us in the camp of folks who want someplace other than the dinette to sit at. Given the amount of computer time we have between routine business and trip planning the dinette just does not cut it.

While I am at it as someone who is getting rather creaky also pay attention to the height of the couch. A lot of what is out there is too low and squishy. Fine when you are down but difficult to get up from. That has us looking at setups with the couch in a slide to get the extra height as well as reducing wear and tear as that usually puts the kitchen on a stable wall.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

If you buy new, make sure to get the 6 speed trans. No doubt about it IMO.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Since you do a bit of boondocking I would take a good look at holding tanks and storage of the different units. Most of the C's I have seen have smaller holding tanks (fresh black and grey) plus are way down on storage.

I would also drive them before you give to much thought. You might love or you might hate the class C's.

The smaller size w/o a doubt is a plus depending on where you go

I just went through a divorce and am trying to figure out which direction to go for just me. I have a dog but I didn't trust him when my X and I had a RV, don't trust him now. I am leaning toward a DB under 40ft with 3-4 slides, I want two front slides.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I travel alone in a class C now. Had a class A. Watch the holding tank size. My 20011 E350 chassis is factory rated at 5k for the tow bar. Get one with “tow/haul” transmission. That makes a big difference going down hills.

My “28A” unit is really 30’ long. I have a dog. You have a cat. I live outside most of the time because I smoke outside. You should pick the floorplan you like. I happen to like one without slides. Been there, done that, for me KISS works.

Hope this helps….
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a, class c