Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #15

We had a 2003 Trail-Lite 25 ft B+ and loved it. Drove great. Winnebago/Itasca Navion/View has a B+ version (without overhead bed) and their new 2015 24V and 24J have been modified with huge window over the kitchen sink area, slight floor plan change to the 24J and are absolutely gorgeous! Much nicer than previous years, so open inside, beautiful. We also looked at a Coachmen Prism B+ and they are less in price than the Winnebago, beautiful color cabinets inside, as is the Forest River Solera. Nexxus still makes a gas version of the B+ as does Born Free, Coach House, Phoenix Cruiser. You will get ripped up on this board using the term B+ (some say it's a C), but there is a big difference in driveability and not having the cab over bunk. Ours got 12-13 mpg in a Ford V10, most C's that size getting 8 or so. The gas versions are generally lower in height than a regular C also. B+'s sometimes have less outdoor storage so be aware of that, altho the View 24V with the twin beds have a lot of outdoor storage, very nice. We loved ours. We just downsized to a class B. Didn't get it yet, hopefully we won't be disappointed in the size, especially tank size change.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had 10 RV's of all types and sizes. We just got a used 2007 Itasca Navion 23H diesel (80,000 miles). Having moved from a 37' with 3 slides and down to a 24' TT we have learned what we really need to carry. With this Navion we even have a overhead cupboard that has nothing in it.

I saw a thing on UTube that a single man showed how he lived in a small RV full time. I might not have this just right--but.
He uses about 3 cloth grocery bags (different colors) White--for underwear, Blue---for Levis and such, Brown for t-shirts & socks. And the hanging closet for his dress pants and jackets and shirts.

We tired it this last time out works great.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #17

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrow View Post
We did have a 43 ft "A" but was too much time and restricted our travel.. As for the list use common sense above all. I know you don't like the C because of the overhang but the B+ does not have that problem. What ever you do look at the following.

Look under the coach for hanging wires and clamps
On pipes etc (on your back and eyes open for anything that looks loose or out of place)

Try all doors drawers closet latches (look for easy use and smooth fit and finish. Pull the drawers out and look under and behind with flash light is it clean or is there sawdust trash extra screws missing screws etc.

Check all plumbing fixtures for stability (are they tight and firm or loose)

Check all electrical light switches and electrical components for good working order

Try all tvs stereo equip satellite or cable equip for operations.

Look at all trim for loose attachment, staples/screws sticking out look up at the ceiling and down at the floor for fit and finish.

Sit in all chairs seats and on the toilet for fit stability comfort.

Lay down on bed as if you are looking to buy a new mattress.

When you open the outside basement doors look at all hinge and opener screws for fit and finish and ease of closure. Open all access panels in and out of the coach and inspect for trash bad connections loose clamps etc. again use your eyes, ears, hands with a flashlight. Does everything look right, it that the way you would expect it to be done?

Try out all appliances Stove, microwave, etc. where reasonable.

Open and try all ceiling vent units, do they work, open and close smoothly, run quietly?

Get up on the roof and inspect all of the seals etc.

Inspect he chassis and body for fit and finish paint quality etc.

I think you are getting the point. Each unit is different and each manufacturer has its own process. It is up to you to prove the unit worthy of your money. Don't be pushed into buying a coach until you are absolutely happy with all aspects.

The guys that sell these make a good commission to get you to spend that money. They work for the dealer. Make them earn that commission and make sure all is to your satisfaction BEFORE you sign that contract or at lease a list of the repairs/updates required signed by the sales manager is in your hands.

Also, if you are buying a coach with duel rear wheals make sure it has valve extensions installed for all six wheels. You don't want to be crawling around on your back trying to check tire pressures in the wet or cold

Insist that the following be included in the sale after you negotiate the price.
Tire valve stem extenders
Sewer hose and connectors
Fresh water hose
Roof top vent covers( so you can leave ceiling vents open in the rain)
Anything else you think you might want to get them to close the deal.

It is the time of the year when sales are very slow. Our unit had a list price of $122k we negotiated the price down to $84k from their asking price of $98k. And bought the 3 year extended warranty. Do NOT let them sell you the interior and exterior paint treatment as it is a waste of money and you can pay someone a couple of hundred dollars a year to detail and wax your coach. I hope this is helpful, but the main point is all of this is easy before the sale and IMPOSSIBLE after.. Go on line and look at the "special" pricing across the nation for the particular coach you are looking for and use that as the basis for your negations. Even the special prices can be negotiated down..

Good Luck
So you got 31% discount on a NEW class B.
Curious to know what brand it is?
Maximum I have seen for Class B+ (leisure travel) was 10%.
Ha, also the BO is 7 months delivery delay.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #18

The biggest problem with a B+ is storage. We drive a C for the attic in the front. I try to hang my jacket or measure for a shirt in all closet space. If they do not fit on a hanger all you end up with is space to pile things. Gets old fast.

The second biggest problem you will have with a short B+ is a place to sit. The front seats mostly do not swivel so they are not really leisure seating when parked like the A's. The dinette gets old fast.

The third thing I would at is site lines. If two people cannot sit and see the television it is a problem. Ditto looking at the ceiling to watch it.

ksrow hit the rest. If it opens open and close it. If it sits then sit on it, ditto lays, ditto stand in. Some designs have a really long step in and out of the shower so I would try it with my shoes off as some are easy to scratch. Also some showers are really small.

All small units are a box full of tradeoffs. Only you can decide what one's you are willing to live with. The point is to pick the important one's and know you will have to put up with the rest. Going bigger makes for a lot fewer choices to work around.

From my perspective of having a 22 ft and a 28 ft C I would go with something in the 28 -30 ft class and a towed. Granted smaller units are easier to get into some places but none of them will go everywhere. Much bigger than 30 ft or so starts limiting camping options in some places. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #19

The most important: is your DW willing to go in a Class B?
It is designed to travel, not to stay 6 months at the same place..Any campground will be OK including state park that were not possible previously, less items to carry with you.
Will see soon, we are moving from a 45 ft to a 24.5 ClassB Diesel Sprinter type MH
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The biggest problem with a B+ is storage. We drive a C for the attic in the front. I try to hang my jacket or measure for a shirt in all closet space. If they do not fit on a hanger all you end up with is space to pile things. Gets old fast.

The second biggest problem you will have with a short B+ is a place to sit. The front seats mostly do not swivel so they are not really leisure seating when parked like the A's. The dinette gets old fast.

The third thing I would at is site lines. If two people cannot sit and see the television it is a problem. Ditto looking at the ceiling to watch it.

ksrow hit the rest. If it opens open and close it. If it sits then sit on it, ditto lays, ditto stand in. Some designs have a really long step in and out of the shower so I would try it with my shoes off as some are easy to scratch. Also some showers are really small.

All small units are a box full of tradeoffs. Only you can decide what one's you are willing to live with. The point is to pick the important one's and know you will have to put up with the rest. Going bigger makes for a lot fewer choices to work around.

From my perspective of having a 22 ft and a 28 ft C I would go with something in the 28 -30 ft class and a towed. Granted smaller units are easier to get into some places but none of them will go everywhere. Much bigger than 30 ft or so starts limiting camping options in some places. YMMV
Many of the newer smaller 24-25 ft B+ we were looking at do have the front seats that swivel now. My older one did not, but had a sofa and a loveseat with a pop up table. I agree as far as the dinette only goes, we were very aware when looking at that very thing, how do you hang all day in an uncomfortable dinette. Many of the B+ now have different floor plans. The Winnebago View/Navion 24J for 2015 has a great dinette that is shaped like a squarer U, where the ends lift up also, and is very comfortable to lounge on. They added bigger window and changed floor plan and it is gorgeous! The Coachmen Prism 24G has a reclining sofa that is unbelievably comfortable. Many have options of dinette or sofa. Sometimes the storage will be less in a B+. The Winnebago View 24V with the twin beds that they just changed with a huge window over the sink now (so smart, it is so open and beautiful), has a lot of storage, the outside storage is larger than many C's I've seen in the same size. The less expensive Coachmen diesel C 24 ft Prism 2150 has a lot of storage outside, their B+ version 24J has slightly less but they are both beautiful, the 24J has an outdoor cabinet with table and grill. You can order the 2150 with swivel seats, altho but I believe comes standard without. The 24J comes standard with and you can change out the dinette for a sofa sleeper with pop up table.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with cjscotty - the new floor plans are a big improvement. On the day we picked up our View J we were one of a total of 4 families picking up the same floor plan. The most important thing, to me anyway, is how livable the space is. We had a 32' C that I never felt comfortable in. Our 26' View is far more livable. The two front seats definitely swivel around to become part of the living area and the U shaped dinette is very comfortable for lounging in when the foot rests are up. There will never be enough room to bring everything, even in a big Class A, so you need to decide if there is "enough" room to bring what you need.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to ksrow
Thor siesta Mercedes Sprinter 24sr Camping World
ksrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #23

Hi Nancy,
Assuming your "handle" means you're in AZ, check out my 2006 WGO View 23J if you're near PHX. It's easy to drive in town and through traffic, we often take it to Surprise for shopping trips. It seats 6 and can (comfortably) sleep 4. And, it's definitely NOT pricey.

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (for sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (new to us)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #24

My challenge is the feeling of being closed in. I know that I will be spending most of the time outside, but when I first walk in the door of the 24ft I feel like I'm in a cage...and the Pleasure-Way XL Murphy Bed is really an excellent choice and it has a competitor as well.

My wife was big thumbs down on these all in one bathrooms in a lot of the smaller rigs...me too.

But... good for the young adults without kids and some of the older adults who want lots of down town mobility.

On the other end, when I walk into 39 feet, I feel like I need two more wives to keep the rv busy.

I have taught my (only) wife how to cook well without need of a big kitchen. For example, with some meat, vegetables, an off the shelf sauce, and a small modern wok...you don't need anything more than some hot sauce...at least for me and the wife.

And the new gas rigs ride similar to diesels now (super duty F-53 rv chassis), albeit with a bit more noise. And I don't feel the need for an onboard washer/dryer...so low 30's are quite on the mark for me for lesser mileage and more extended stays...but not full-time...I'm keeping my home.

Mercedes Sprinter is a great shorter choice, especially for high mileage.

If you want to tow a jeep wrangler...there is that issue that takes you beyond 24 ft.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #25

I didn't see it mentioned but the Winnebago Trend is pretty cool. It doesn't have the traditional class-C overcab bulge but does have a a drop-down loft bed. So it is more like a class B+
Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #26

I think the Trend is cool but the kitchen should be reversed, putting more windows on the camp side, so felt slightly closed in to us. Just saw a new larger B or B+? by EverGreen called an Imperial in Motorhome Magazine this month. Looks very very cool. Anyone know anything more about this one? I'm trying to get better pics of the inside. Is a more sleeked down version of a B+, slightly larger than a regular B with larger tanks. And for anyone that felt that some of the smaller B+/C's were closed in, again that's the thing I like now about the new 2015 Winnebago View/Navions, they added larger window over sink area, the 24V had no window in the past and the 24J window now has a huge window, also changing that floor plan slightly. This gives a very very open feel inside, more open like mentioned above than some of the larger ones I've seen. Just love them. Kudos to Winnebago.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrow View Post
Hey Aznancy
I am new to the group but a long time RVer. We bought a Thor Siesta Sprinter 24sr this year and we just love the layout and the Mercedes handling, ride and 17 MPG.....I would however be very thorough on the pre-inspection and drive PRIOR to signing the deal. Make sure the dealer agrees to all your required upgrades. Look under everything check every door and drawer for fit finish and closure. I would be happy to send you a list to check if you do go that route. There are several brands using the Mercedes Sprinter Chassis this just happened to be the layout we liked best. We have also made some minor Mods that make a great coach even better. Thor is going through some challenges with their growth and it will Pay for you to be very thorough and detailed before the sale. All that said WE LOVE OUR COACH....

2015 Hershey RV show its perfect

Jerry and Donna
1997 FW Bounder 35U
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #28

Check out the Coachmen Orion. 24', no overhang in front. Has Dodge Promaster 3500 chassis...I'm loving mine so far...
Catev is offline   Reply With Quote