Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Class C 24' with E350 chassis question about towing

I have a 2500 lb car that I am considering towing. I would like to know if using a tow-dolly would be a better choice than getting the special tow-bar connection I have seen on toads. I am not a full-timer but maybe 3-4 multi-thousand mile trips per year. The tow-dollies do not have brakes that I know of and would that be a negative situation? Do I really need to be able to activate the toad's brakes? I have towed a 4000lb vehicle for 1000 miles behind a Uhaul 28' truck and had no braking problems. Thanks for your replies!

On the road again...
2006 Alfa SeeYa 40'
Alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
I tow a Jeep behind my Itasca 26Q with a E450 suspension.
I use the typical TowMaster 5000 tow bar that stays on the jeep when not being used. The Ford E450 tows it with no problems. The Jeep weighted in at 3500# at the local scale here in town. I have towed with no break hook up and it does fine even with hard breaking. I think I should buy one of the after market type break units to help incase of panic stop.

TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a 2500lb car with a Class C is very doable. Just be sure your hitch receiver and max vehicle loading (GCWR) is not exceeded.

The flat tow or dolly tow choice is not as clear. Brakes on the towed car (toad) is very smart and safe. It is not always required by law in many places, so that is up to you. I hope you pick brakes.

Many dolly's have brakes. They can be electric using a controller in the RV or "surge" brakes that are totally automatically adjusting.

Flat towing brakes will be a more expensive set-up to actuate the car's brakes remotely.

Dolly's cost new from $1200 - over $6000. Used costs for a very good dolly can be very low and are available most everywhere. Dollys usually have their own lights attached

Flat towing tow-bars, mounting plates, lighting systems and labor costs for mounting will usually be much more $ than the cost of a dolly, and like you see above, flat-tow RVers will tell you it is worth it.

Bottom line is that not all cars can be flat towed. If you have the funds, the right car, and the desire - get your car set-up to flat tow. If you want to save some money, want to maybe switch cars someday in the future, and want your car to be safe from rock strikes and save the added miles on the car's lower drive-line with the car riding up high....get a dolly.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

chassis, class c, towing