Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #1

I'm seriously considering a C this year. I know exactly nothing about them. Can some one give me some info about them. Drivability, fuel costs, practicality etc. are my conserns. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks....Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #2

I'm seriously considering a C this year. I know exactly nothing about them. Can some one give me some info about them. Drivability, fuel costs, practicality etc. are my conserns. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks....Brad

Old 12-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #3

Mine drives very well and rides better than my F350 truck did. I get about 8-9 mpg if I don't hot rod. The wife and dogs love it and with the push out it has quite a bit of room. Scotty.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Brad, we had a 1999 Minnie Winnie Dl 31A, (no slide). On the larger class C's, you need to keep an eye on the weight and know whre you are in relation tot he GVWR or 14,050# on the Ford. Ours tipped the scales at 13950# loaded for a trip, with me and Ma, and 1/4 tank of fresh water.

They have a tendency to be top heavy and will roll from side to side on the road and require constant steering correction...at least ours and the other 3 or 4 larger class C's we drove did. This can be easily corrected with some heavy duty roll bars and HD shocks.

Ken
Old 12-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply Scott. Need all the info I can get...lol...Brad

Ken, this is the type of info I need. Will need to replace my T/V soon. Here in good 'ole canada, a duramax will set me back 50k. I think I can sell my 5er, put that cash towards a Class "C", along with the cost of a Duramax, and should get a good, nearly new Class "C". Gotta go shopping, see what deals are out there....Brad

Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brad, some folks say that their large class C handles fine and never a problem on the road. When we had ours, we put on 23,000 miles (US) in just under 3 years, so we did run it a bit and not retired. In Texas, you travel a long way to go much of anywhere. After the antiroll bars and shocks, my wife immediately noticed the way it rode and loved the way it drove. No more see-saw drivingand it was not at all tiring to run 8 or 10 hours.

Running 65 to 70 MPH with a 3000# car in tow, about the BEST we did was 8.2 MPG. Never had much chance to drive for extended periods below 60 MPG. The folks we sold it to were pretty heavyfooted and theygenerally got less than 7 MPG last we heard.

Have fun shopping.
Ken
Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #7

Brad
You need to look at a few class 'C' units and be sure that they meet your needs for space, floor plan, etc. Our 31' is just what we wanted after having a 36' Class 'A' and a 36' fifth wheel with F350 .... It is just right for driving, towing, parking, etc. We did replace the OEM shocks with Monroe RV Gas shocks and it made a noticable difference on highway driving. Towing we get around 8 to 9 mpg which is about the same as our fifth wheel and F350 PSD
Ours also had added, by us, a backup rearview camera, rear jacks and slide trays in our basement areas

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #8

Are Class C's available in Diesel? Is diesel required to tow a small car..say a Vibe?

With just the two of us, we would probably do quit well in a 24-28 foot model. Our 5er is 28' and is just right for us.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #9

Four winds has a 28 footer with diesel. but no slide out.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #10

Need some opinions on this.<span class="ev_code_RED">LINK</span> As a mod, please understand this link is not meant to advertise any product. Just wanted to know if this is a good deal. I realize the price is high compared to US prices. If I could find something like this near the Can. US. border I would bring one back to Canada. I think I could get used to something like this unit. Would this unit pull a small car? milage would be around 8-10 mpg? I assume the Winnie is a good make and model. Help Please!

Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> also had added, by us, a backup rearview camera, rear jacks and slide trays in our basement areas </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Ed, I take it the jacks were required to stop wobbling while camped?

Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #12

Brad,
I am with you, I am going to purchase a class C, and actually will be narrowing it down on Friday. May even purchase... Does anyone have any horror stories of specific models that I should know about and avoid?

Thanks
Michaela
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #13

Hello Spiritsouldancer, Welcome to IRV2. Glad to have you with us. We look forward to hearing from you often. Now, I've been a 5er fan for several years,but lately my tastes have changed some what. I think a Class"C" may be OK. I'll kinda lurk around, see what info I can come up with, and go from there.
So Michaela, is this your first contact with Rving?

Old 12-29-2005, 05:42 AM   #14

Hi Brad, I had a class C for 4+ years before I went to an A. I quite enjoyed the C, it was 26 ft. no slide. It was easy to drive, small enough to get into places the bigger ones cannot, yet enough room for the two of us. If you go that route you will enjoy the ease of set-up that the MH offer. If it is raining--so what just stay inside and have a beer if you desire, and set up later. A generator is a great accessory to have it increases your independence from campgrounds while travelling. I installed scissor jacks on the rear of mine to aid with stablity while parked in a CG, not expensive to buy and easy to install. Two of our craft vendor friends went to class C's this year and are both thrilled with having made the choice they love the increased flexability they feel it gave them. Any other questions just shoot.