Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Class C & 5 star tune?

Anyone install the 5 Star Tune on their new Class C V-10? If so what kind of improvement are you experiencing? Is it worth the cost for the difference?

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Anyone install the 5 Star Tune on their new Class C V-10? If so what kind of improvement are you experiencing? Is it worth the cost for the difference?
Actually your timing is quite good as we just returned from a 1700 mile trip from east TN to southern FL and back up the east coast with the 5 Star 87 Octane RV tune. We have a 2011 E450 32' Coachmen and pull a Toyota 4Runner 4 down (4500 lbs).

As far as improvement in performance I am very pleased with the results. Driving through southern GA and FL (I75 S read flat) when we crossed over an overpass with the cruise on it never even down shifted just powered up and over only occasionally unlocking the torque converter to pull the grade. This was with full fresh water tanks and a full gas tank in the toad. Before installing the 5 Star tune it downshifted much more frequently vs simply digging in and pulling.

On the way back we went up I95 to I26W through Ashville NC. I am not totally sure where it is but there is a significant climb about 70 miles out of Ashville which is about 5 or 6 miles of I would guess a 5% to 7% grade. We easily passed a older F350 Diesel pulling a 5th wheel of about our length basically maintaining over 50 mph at about 4000 RPM. I have not weighed my combined coach and 4Runner (V8) but I have to be close to the 22K combined gross vehicle weight.

Fuel economy was in the 7's and I ran between 60 and 70 mph depending on traffic and terrain etc.

Overall I am very satisfied with the 5 Star tune and have not even tried the 89 octane tune yet and may not unless gas prices go back down into the mid $2 range.....

Luck

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Thank you. This is exactly the info i was looking for. We just put 300 miles of combined mountain and freeway driving on it to get a base on what it will do. For sure down on power from the 3 valve V-10 my 2007 Class A had and this is 3500#'s lighter. I'm going to fuel it up this morning, that will give me my Mpg. We were not towing the jeep this trip, 3480#'s so don't know how it will handle the extra weight but with what you say I don't think it will be a problem. I will most likely order the 5 Star Tune.

Thanks
Mark

Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #4

Ok fueled it up and got 7.75 mpg. I was not light on the gas so with a little more finis I probably could do better. But what I really want is more performance so it's 5 Star ordering time.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
5 Star 87 Octane RV tune

Okay, what exactly is a 5 star tune/87 octane RV tune??
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
the theory of an internal combustion engine requires 3 things to operate,they are air,fuel,and spark as long as you have these three things usually a vehicle will operate,a five star tune is a device attached to the engine that changes the way these three things are read by the ecu (electric control unit)also sometimes a ecm or moldule.when a vehicle leaves the factory,usually they are considered to be in a mild state of tune,which is a level of power that will be necessary to make the vehicle function well,a tuner device changes how the computer reads and reacts to what ever the driver is doing,some of these devices are garbage and a waste of money,and some actually do what they say they will,but at what cost,i wouldnt consider putting one on a new vehicle,it would most likely void the warranty,if you have one installed,make sure you understand what the device is and what its doing to the engine.if you need more power,consider a banks unit,which is an air induction system that forces fuel into the carb or into the intake manifold quicker thus the engine gets the fuel faster,burns more quickly= more response and power,they are expensive,but proven ,the chips and other devices are much cheaper and may do well for you,but again at what cost.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

There is also transmission shift points and pressure. Throttle to in as well as fuel mapping etc that can be adjusted and improved. Not sure what warranty issues you could run into 5 star tunes are installed on hundreds if not thousands of vehicles and I have not seen one comment about warranty or damage issues.

My 2 cents
Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis62 View Post
There is also transmission shift points and pressure. Throttle to in as well as fuel mapping etc that can be adjusted and improved. Not sure what warranty issues you could run into 5 star tunes are installed on hundreds if not thousands of vehicles and I have not seen one comment about warranty or damage issues.

My 2 cents
I agree. I haven't heard anything adverse about 5 star.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #9

5 star tune arrived. I will load it up this coming week when i can put a few miles on it.