Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class C cab replacement questions

Greetings. This is my first post. Previously had a 25' travel trailer. Lost it in divorce. Just purchased a 2007 Winnebago Access. It has only 10,700 miles on it. Very clean. I had asked the dealer to completely seal it before I picked it up. He called yesterday to tell me that he discovered the cab is rotted from an unseen leak. There was no visible sign of it when I inspected it. Dealer has offered to replace the cab over driver seat where bunk is. States that his cost is $6,000. I'm grateful that he was honest and willing to fix it. Bad news is that I cannot pick it up until June. My questions, 1) Should I be concerned about the repair? Will this lead to future problems? 2) Should I back out of the deal, maybe go with a different unit? Thanks for any advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3711146230.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	123711

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I'd look for another rig unless you're really in love with this one.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I think I'd look for another rig unless you're really in love with this one.
Any specific reasons?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #4

If you paid anywhere near that $38,884 price (too much) in the window, and are going to pay $6,000 more for a cabover repair, that is way too much money for a 9, going on 10 year old MH.
It's also hard (for me) to believe the dealer's cost will be $6,000 to do a cabover rebuild. Another thing to consider is that the low (10,700) miles, on that unit is not necessarily a good thing. It probably has sat unused, way too long. What are the dates on the tires. Should they be replaced?
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
If you paid anywhere near that $38,884 price (too much) in the window, and are going to pay $6,000 more for a cabover repair, that is way too much money for a 9, going on 10 year old MH. It's also hard (for me) to believe the dealer's cost will be $6,000 to do a cabover rebuild. Another thing to consider is that the low (10,700) miles, on that unit is not necessarily a good thing. It probably has sat unused, way too long. What are the dates on the tires. Should they be replaced?
The dealer is paying for the cab over repair. We paid $32K. They also put 6 new tires on it. I'm not sure how much it was used.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a common issue for Class Cs to rot out over the cab if former owners werent diligent on roof checks and resealing caulk regularly. Our first C purchase ended up having rot in it not first detected...the dealer we purchased from made good on it. We were quoted 10,000 by the local repair company the delear we purchased from sent us too so the dealer decided to take the unit back and let us have a nicer one at no.additional cost to us.

If the dealer is willing to fix at their cost and you dont mind the wait, you'll know for certain you wont have this be an issue anytime soon down the road.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So, thanks for the advice. I just got back from the dealer. I was able to renegotiate a deal. I did not want the water damaged class C, but I was able to get a 2006 Monaco Monarch instead. It's beautiful! It has a brand new engine, with 70k miles on the coach. The sticker price was $69,000. I was able to get it for $45k. No water damage on this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3920247852.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	123805
Old 04-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricco View Post
So, thanks for the advice. I just got back from the dealer. I was able to renegotiate a deal. I did not want the water damaged class C, but I was able to get a 2006 Monaco Monarch instead. It's beautiful! It has a brand new engine, with 70k miles on the coach. The sticker price was $69,000. I was able to get it for $45k. No water damage on this one.

Attachment 123805
GOOD!! Looks like a much nicer unit. I think that was a good decision, but I haven't seen the rig either! Condition, condition, condition!
Looks like it has a Banks kit on it too, that may or may not be a good thing. Of our four Type A MH's (1 gas and 3 DP's) we've had two with Banks kits. Made a big difference in driveability but no fuel mileage gains.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The dealer said that the Banks kit may have been the problem with the old engine. The new one does not have it. I did test drive it, and it has plenty of power as is.