Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Class C cover

Are there any of the Class C RV covers that will stand up to wind and snowy leather in MN for winter storage, or is it better to leave the RV uncovered with tire covers only.
stshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

I have not covered my coaches in Michigan. Some say that the covers cause scuff marks if they are not used correctly. In my opinion it is a lot of work with little return.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #3

Hi STSHOOTER, I registered for this forum just to respond to your inquiry. So, this is my first post here. First off I live in Columbia Heights MN. I was worried about the snow, ice, wind, and sun/rain in summer. Very anal about taking caring of my stuff. I recently purchased a Carver RV cover from coverquest.com. They ended up being great to deal - I'll get to the why. I initially ordered the wrong size for our 32.5' Jayco. It was too long and baggy. Flapping in the wind and I couldn't stand it. It was a bear to get on the rig and I can't tell you how much effort to fold it up and clean it having left it on for several days so it got dirty inside around the hitch area. Don't make the mistake (if possible) of ordering an incorrect size if you get one. They were willing to ship me the next smaller size (without charging me again) and allowed me to pack up the other after a vacation and get it back to them. The 2nd one - sized 30 - 32 (our unit is a 32.5) fit much better than the 32-34. But, the cost for me to ship the first one back was a whopping $90! The carver cover is very nice material. My daughters call it an RV space suit. And, it's one heavy space suit at 70lbs. Imagine getting that beast up on the roof while hauling yourself up the ladder. If you were able to get it up there and set it on the front cap as they recommend, you'd likely end up inside the rig. Anyway as I heard others say, I expect to have a love/hate relationship with this cover. I love when it's on and protected. But, I hate getting it there. For now, it's mostly protected from the elements. Some water does pass thru as it is not fully water proof since it has to be breathable I guess. It's treated with something to repel and most water does run down well. The straps are nice too so it's quite secure and no rubbing/flapping so far. But, I dread the thought of all the effort to get it on and secure it. I'm not recommending for or against and no affiliation to coverquest or Carver. Just thought I'd tell my experience because I spent a lot of time researching and feel I made the best choice based on what's out there. Anything less like the lighter Tyvek's (which I preferred the look and lighter weight) would likely shred with snow and ice on top. And, the next step up is Sunbrella (sp?) which ran about $1,500 to customize to your rigs exact size. I paid around $610 for the Carver. Of course + my screw up on the size for a total of $700. Good luck on your decision and ping me if any questions. I think you can find my email here somewhere. Blaine
ivanbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies Curt and Ivan, another option could have it stored inside at the same set of farm buildings where the trailer was winter stored that was traded in on the RV. Was concerned what to do about the two coach batteries, remove them and keep them charged at home or would they hold a charge in place during the winter with the 12 volt power shut down. The chassis starting battery would it hold a charge if the positive battery lead was disconnected, not planning on going south.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #5

stshooter-

You have the correct idea: Remove the coach batteries and keep them in a non-freezing place where you can charge them (to full charge) safely, now and then.

My limited experience with RV covers is:

1) Inside a building is almost always better (depends on the building type and condition)
2) They are a pain to put on and take off
3) Snug-fitting is better than flapping
4) Snow melts through the perforated roof panels and refreezes, sticking the cover to the roof

If it was I, I'd park it inside the building and cover it, if I had a cover. That protects the coach from other damage that can occur. But a cover on a coach inside a building is definitely "belts and suspenders."

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Can't help you with this issue but I read the responses because of the interesting information. I never thought of winterizing the entire RV.

Hollywood Fl so no snow or ice down here. Our biggest problems are sun related.
SoFloRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
If you have access to affordable, workable indoor storage, that would absolutely be my first choice - hands down, no questions. Exposure to the elements (especially moisture) is an RV's #1 enemy, IMHO.

I'm not real keen on covers - they don't seem to hold up very many years and are a hassle. However, if I had a brand new rig, or one that was "like new", and I couldn't get indoor storage I might try a cover & see how it went...
Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Covers and wind don't mix. They rip, and do mar the finish.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #9

MAny years ago my neighbor parked his class A in the driveway all winter with a cover. My old class C was next to my garage without a cover. In the spring we had a major ice storm and it took the power out for over a week. I went out and chipped into the cab door and fired it up and then fired up the generator to keep the house going.

His covered class A took nearly the entire day to chip into so he didn't hurt the cover. He couldn't go to the next town to get diesel to keep his genny running I just drove 15 miles after 3 days and filled up. He never covered his again.

Just something to think about but indoors is always better
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #10

I decided not to buy a RV cover and have space in a farm building reserved for the winter. Did put a negative post quick disconnect on the Chevrolet chassis side post battery so the battery should hold a charge without a trickle charger running.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Store inside out of the elements. Critters, some larger than mice, like barns away from the elements also. Set some live (or not) traps for critters who will get in and chew stuff that most would not. We had a squirrel chew fuel injector wires on the RV parked at the house.

You have a Class C RV. Not all of them come with a genny. Take some of the $$$$ you would have spent on a cover and buy a small portable genny. Charge all the batteries monthly and you're good to go. Then you'd have the genny to provide some power if you wanted some heat and to work on it in the barn.

We have a 20' X 36' metal car port enclosed almost all the way to the ground on two sides. It keeps wind, and sun at bay but being open and close to the house most larger critters, squirrels, skunks, coon, fox, coyotes stay away.

Protect the investment.

TeJay

Tags
class c