Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Class C disadvantage

Can someone tell me what the downside to owing a class "c" motor home? Do they breakdown and such, I am interested in how reliable they are. I have heard of axel breaking and other things happening.
I think the big advantage is setting up, I assume it is very simple am I right? All information is appreciated.
jim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

RV rental company's rent them out. How unreliable can they be.

My 1999 C has 40,000 miles, rides good, steers with one hand and is inexpensive to fix, with very popular van parts.

Never heard of broken axle issues.

"Other thing" happen to every type of RV.

I suppose a down side may be carrying and towing capacity but I tow a small car and everthing I need to full time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

For older people like myself, they are difficult, if not impossible to get from the passenger or drivers seat to the coach from inside. But then again I have a fiver and can't do that at all.😁

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

The nice thing about a lot of Class "C" units is....the motor vehicle part (be it Ford, Chev or Sprinter) is something that can be worked on by just about any dealership of that brand. Even in small town USA, there's a dealership that knows the workings of the engine unit. The "home" part is of no concern to them.

The downside is....pretty much the pilot/co-pilot area is a write off for liveable space once you're set up. Some models allow these chairs to turn around to be used but not all.

Sometimes only the upper end units have automated levelling if that's a concern.

The feeling from the driver's seat is less intimidating than a Class "A", but the house can still be the better part of 8 feet wide right behind you, so don't forget that part.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think a DP would have been able to go where I went this past weekend. Tight turns and a couple of clearance problems.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

Downside relative to what? Its like the classic 5er vs DP debate.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

I really don't think you are that interested in what you're asking, since you started an identical thread back in Sept. and never made any additional posts on that thread. The axle breaking and other things happening is a new twist.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/upsid...-c-308082.html
Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I really don't think you are that interested in what you're asking, since you started an identical thread back in Sept. and never made any additional posts on that thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/upsid...-c-308082.html
Great observation. Mich saved me some keystrokes and for that I'm grateful.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

no disadvantages--only depends on your wallet and your ideas of traveling and camping! our Super c is reliable, powerful and has plenty of room! Easy to drive, no hitches, no pins, bo extra chocks and locks so to speak. you cab choose to tow a toad or not....you can add bells and whistles or not...not sure why you think one type of portable would be better or worse than another---i personally would not tow a travel travel with the instabilities- always drove a goose-neck horse trailer and what a difference- would consider a fifth wheel until we started seeing all the quality service issues PLUs a truck....so went for a C because we do not like the fronts of A's for us-too big and many frames are built not level and have issues...so that was why we are happy with our purchase! others will be happy with their kind of purchase for their reasons....and the beat goes on!!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

I've had a class A and now own a class C. I liked them both for what they had to offer. They both have their advantages. Probably the biggest advantage to our class C is the wife will drive it. She wasn't comfortable with the class A so wouldn't drive it.

She won't drive the C into a camping spot or any tight space but she will do the open road or in town driving with no problem which works for me!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim22 View Post
Can someone tell me what the downside to owing a class "c" motor home?

The Class A folks turn their nose up at you. LOL.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #12

here's the real disadvantage

small fuel tanks...35-55 vs 85 and up
small water tanks.
small waste tanks..
less power

smaller brakes
lighter duty chassis

small tires and wheels...16'' vs 193-.5 and 22.5

less storage

more air drag
cramped passenger and driving area..

my wife calls them crampers...lol

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
The Class A folks turn their nose up at you. LOL.
Can't agree more on the," they turn their nose up at you." So be it. We both made it to the same destination/location so I guess mine isn't a total piece of garbage. Actually had a guy complain at Road America that my 14 year old unit was a little too shiny as it washed out his outside TV on his 40 foot A during race day......

Set up can be easy after you do it once or twice. It just takes practice. I park mostly trackside at road courses and those spots are grass and RARELY level. The first time took 15 minutes to figure out. Now. many times later, "maybe" five minutes to level after the blocks are out....

By myself all outside gear out and set up in less than 15 minutes.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

No Down side to owing a Class C. We owned a Class C 2008 Winnebago Outlook and it was a great MH. We sold it with over 70,000 miles in 2013, it never let us down and it was beautiful looking MH inside and out. We just needed a little more room.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c