Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Class c highway handling

After 2 long trips from Ohio out west, I am looking for a solution to constant white knuckling especially in open highway winds. My husband isn't bothered by the constant "correcting" in steering but it terrifies me. I've pulled boat trailers with no problem most of my life. This is completely different. We have a 2014 31ft itasca spirit. I am so disappointed in the handling that I started looking into super c's. Out of my price range unless we go with one that is 8 or so years old. I've read a lot on this forum about sway bars, steering stabilizers and tire pressure. Just looking for a straight forward answer as to whether or not investing in sway bars and steering stabilizer will make a huge difference....and I mean a HUGE difference. Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Have you done an alignment?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

+Caster

Too little front end +caster will manifest itself as "loose steering" (and wandering) at highway speeds. The Ford E Series come off the assembly line with the caster set at about +3.5 degrees which is OK for city driving but you want to have at least +5.5 degrees for highway driving.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 - Get it weighed first ($10 at most truck stops) to see how close to overweight you are on each axle/tire and if so, adjust the load accordingly. The weight will also give you somewhere to start on the tire manufacturer's tire pressure chart for your model tires.

If you don't know how much you weigh you will be guessing and spending money you might not have to.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #5

I bought a 2000, 30 ft E450 Class C MH.
It handled so bad, my wife wouldn't drive it.

Set the tire pressure to the door sticker, no change.

Replaced rear 1 1/2 sway bar with Hendrickson ?, 1 5\8 sway bar, bought from Amazon.

Although we were prepared to do more, It made so much difference that we stopped there.

We no longer watch the mirrors for approaching trucks, that used to push us off the edge of the pavement.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

I have a 2014 32 1/2' Itasca Spirit and fortunately haven't had to invest in anything. Mine handles fine. I had it weighed and with my wife and I in the vehicle, the vehicle fully loaded for "camping", we were more than 2,500# below the GVWR.
What tire pressures are you running in your front tires, that can make a big difference in handling? That would obviously be the easiest, cheapest thing to check first.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:39 AM   #7

Thank you to all who have replied so far! On our way home from Grand Canyon now. Looks like it's a good time to start by stopping along the way to weigh while we are fully loaded and check tire pressure.
I didn't mention that we are also pulling a Jeep Wrangler. We didn't have a toad on last year's trip. As far as handling, I don't feel a difference with the jeep....
Have to figure something out...I've only driven 200 miles of a 4000+ mile trip.
Any other suggestions are welcome🙂
Old 07-04-2016, 05:41 AM   #8

So with the new sway bar, your wife is comfortable driving??
Old 07-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjagger View Post
So with the new sway bar, your wife is comfortable driving??
Don't think hes done anything yet.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #10

Have a 25' Class C and thought handling was OK till I started towing. Oh Boy unsafe. Started with new shocks (Bilstien) all around + steering stabilizer. Alignment and new bushings (poly) also where applicable. This helped but still not like I wanted. Next rear sway bar another slight improvement. Then had welding done to receiver to tighten sloppiness, a little more help, then got weighed and saw recommendations for weight had front tires @ 42# and rear @ 72#. Almost fully loaded BTW. I'm still reducing weight in front tires was afraid to go right down to 42 at 50 now and hope to see improvement this coming week when I drive again. Google tire inflation by weight or visit Michelin site. You could also google cheap handling fix (CHP) might help you. Also got new tires on toad and alignment which was quite off, didn't tow since that was done. Also, I was told that a C will never handle like an A and if I would've read that first might've changed my mind on my purchase. MH is now safe to drive even while towing but still not like the A I've owned before. Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjagger View Post
After 2 long trips from Ohio out west, I am looking for a solution to constant white knuckling especially in open highway winds. My husband isn't bothered by the constant "correcting" in steering but it terrifies me. I've pulled boat trailers with no problem most of my life. This is completely different. We have a 2014 31ft itasca spirit. I am so disappointed in the handling that I started looking into super c's. Out of my price range unless we go with one that is 8 or so years old. I've read a lot on this forum about sway bars, steering stabilizers and tire pressure. Just looking for a straight forward answer as to whether or not investing in sway bars and steering stabilizer will make a huge difference....and I mean a HUGE difference. Thanks in advance for your help!
I had the very same experience with my Class C years ago. I would have to hold the steering wheel about 1/2 turn into the wind. If I still had it I would put on the larger sway bar and then a Blue Ox Tru center. That would definitely tame the beast.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Alignment first and tire pressure, $200 or so, go to a shop that knows the problem listed above. Next check the steering stabilizer. I did the alignment, tire pressure and a new RSSC stabilizer, tow a 4-runner so very similar and this made my RV handle well. That is as far as I went, drives well now. If I still needed more I would have done the rear track bar. Even if you need it all a $1000 will cover all and is much cheaper than loosing $$$$ on a trade for a different RV that still may not be any better.

LEN
Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #13

I have a 2003 31' either I have settled and accepted how it drives or everyone else's really sucks to drive. The previous owners were truck driver's and had 2 or 3 extra leaves installed into the rear springs, maybe that is helping mine, everything else is still stock.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #14

Agree that the basics must be verified first. Then a rear track bar is almost universally accepted as the first modification to address tail wagging. Fine tuning can come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Alignment first and tire pressure, $200 or so, go to a shop that knows the problem listed above. Next check the steering stabilizer. I did the alignment, tire pressure and a new RSSC stabilizer, tow a 4-runner so very similar and this made my RV handle well. That is as far as I went, drives well now. If I still needed more I would have done the rear track bar. Even if you need it all a $1000 will cover all and is much cheaper than loosing $$$$ on a trade for a different RV that still may not be any better.

LEN

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c