Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

Class C in Cold Weather

I new here. Have driven a rented Class C on several trips, but never in cold weather. Thinking about buying a nice 2005 Forest River Sunseeker 26' but wondering what kind of winterizing is needed for a December trip to PA. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Rand
Randor707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

That makes for difficult answers with hundreds of variables. The first is ambient temps. If above freezing, nothing really. If below, then the amount of time below freezing, and the below / above cycles and your coach's exposure. My first concern would be black / gray tanks as they are often exposed and have little to no protection. Making sure that they are drained and have antifreeze in the bottom and the gate valves. The problem here is that the more stuff that goes into the tanks, the more diluted the antifreeze.
Second is your plumbing that runs beneath the floor. Some of it may be running in an non insulated area and is exposed. Either draining the lines and blowing air through them or using antifreeze. Regardless, if you have the outside shower nozzle, remove it and the hose and maybe put a little insulation inside that door, but remember that the more compressed the insulation, the lower the effectiveness. Another idea is to run the generator and use a pair of 1500 watt oil heaters with the wheels removed and I have small chains (think florescent light fixture) that loop around the top of the fins to steady it. You can run two on or one on high along with your coach furnace. You will also need to prop open the bathroom and cabinet doors. My furnace is under my stove so I have ambient heating under my kitchen sink and around my water heater.
Last is the fresh water tank. Mine is under the bed and well protected and if your is the same no worries.

Basically the travelling is no different from sitting except that doors need to be propped open and heaters secured.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

It depends how cold is in December. You could not face problems or you could. Also, it depends where are you staying. If you are staying in it, and the furnace is on, concerns diminish. If you are on a place with hook up, some people recommend to keep the gray open with a faucet dripping. You will need to keep some antifreeze in the black tank at all times, and use it. As the prior member responded, there are a lot of variables.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

Winter Camping

Before you let the bathroom vanity drip all night make sure it DOES NOT drain to the black tank. It is very common this is the case.

Also, if you try to drip all night the drip may not clear the plastic slinky before it freezes.

Another thing, you may find it hard to find an open dump station in the north during the winter EVEN if your knife valves are not frozen solid.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

I'd be more concerned about subjecting the underside of the rig to road salt/etc than anything else. Lots of stuff under there that would be damaged by corrosion! Lots of road salt in the east as compared to Colorado. Easy way to use a rig in winter is to simply winterize it before the trip.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #6

I don't do it, but lots of people travel during winter in their RVs.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randor707 View Post
I new here. Have driven a rented Class C on several trips, but never in cold weather. Thinking about buying a nice 2005 Forest River Sunseeker 26' but wondering what kind of winterizing is needed for a December trip to PA. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Rand
It depends on your RV. It needs to be an all season or four season to consider using the water system when temperatures are below freezing for more than even a few hours a day. If it isn’t, winterize and don’t use the water system.

Those that allege four season vary greatly. My Arctic Foxes were great...I used the full water system in them below zero many times. All of the tanks and valves were in heated spaces.

My new Leprechaun Class C, despite dual pane windows and “ camp cozy” four season package, pretty much sucks. It has tank heaters and dual valves and essentially no instructions on how to use and what type of performance to expect. So I winterize when in sustained temps below freezing rather than risk it. The design is so crappy you need to take out screws to access the drain valves!
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Pennsylvania? In December? Sunseeker? Easy answer.....No!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all the expert advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Pennsylvania? In December? Sunseeker? Easy answer.....No!

This is why I love iRV2 forums. A newbie like me can expect concise and reliable responses to any questions.

I understand very well. If we go to PA in December, we'll drive the pick-up.

Thanks, Rand
Randor707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randor707 View Post
This is why I love iRV2 forums. A newbie like me can expect concise and reliable responses to any questions.

I understand very well. If we go to PA in December, we'll drive the pick-up.

Thanks, Rand
I didn’t mean to encourage that response. Just to clarify you shouldn’t plan on using the water system.

Your RV is still a fine place to sleep and cook and eat, and hang out. Much cheaper than hotels...even if you stay in a commercial RV park. They all have heated restrooms.

I’ve had many good trips under those circumstances,
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #11

I have a older, 2000 Gulfstream, class C and have camped in northern NJ in snow and freezing temps. It was late November, so the temps wouldn't stay below freezing consistently.

The only water fill was a freeze proof faucet on the bath house, but I had a few 75 ft pocket hoses, so I didn't need to move to it.

Everything that can freeze is in insulated compartments and heat, from the furnace, is ducted to them. The dump valves are insulated with only the cap protruding out the bottom of the waste tank compartment.

Take a look at what your thinking of buying and see it its built that way.
I wouldn't hesitate to use everything in mine at 20° temps, as long as I can run the gas furnace.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #12

You picked a good company, our freelander 21 RS came with heated tanks and these folks will give you everything you need to know to succeed.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, cold weather