Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Unhappy Class C Newbie

My Husband and I just bought a Winnebago Cambria this past Jan. We were looking at a class A but It would be more than we can handle. We were told we could pull our SUV with no problem, that is what the salesman said, of course not knowing anything and not finding out before, we are now stuck.

We were told our SUV is to heavy for the rv to pull. Now I am sorry that we bought it, that would have been a major reason to get the A. We have been told we can purchase a smaller car, but really can't afford that expense right now.

So I guess my real question is, When we travel would renting a car be the only possible thing to do, and do other people who travel do this regularly.

Thanks

Saronagrl
saronagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, several people on here rent cars when they get to their destination.

Other than buying a smaller car I don't know of any solution.

What kind of a SUV do you have? Year and model?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

The answer depends on how you intend to use your new Cambria. For us when vacationing, we don't tow a car, seldom stay in an area more than a day or two, and use our motorhome for touring the area. This sometimes makes parking more of a chore, but the upside is not having to mess with towing anything.

Our other travels are towing a race car trailer to events. During a trip, when we want to drive somewhere from a campground, we leave the trailer at the campground and still drive the motorhome.

So, for us, using the motorhome as transportation for sightsseeing, isn't a big deal. This is made easier by it being under 30 ft.

QUOTE=saronagrl;2446322]...So I guess my real question is, When we travel would renting a car be the only possible thing to do, and do other people who travel do this regularly.

Thanks

Saronagrl[/QUOTE]
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks George, I guess that is what we are figuring, that we can always just travel with it when sightseeing, since it is a size that you can still get around with.

@Arch our suv is a GL450

Thanks everyone
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #5

I think most of the Cambrias are v10 powered Fords and should easily pull the Merc. I don't know where you're getting your info from but I'd be looking a lot deeper into this.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are full timers and we rent a car when necessary. Don't have insurance, maintenance, registrations or anything else on towing a vehicle, plus the extra fuel saved.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Hi saronagrl. My wife and I are also new Class C owners. We've been camping in travel trailers for many years. We have made several practice runs to sporting events and such to learn to use our camper as both a vehicle and a living space. (Our son plays college football so this vehicle is to go to his games and tailgate.)

We do not want to tow anything unless we absolutely have to. So far we are not seeing a need to drag a car all over the place. We have parked at high school playoff games, overnighted at Walmart parking lots, gone shopping and to dinner all in the Class C without a problem. I think you might find that you'll be OK without a car. The only real "sacrifice" we find so far is that we might have to park far away from where we are eating or shopping in order to stash the vehicle in a safe place. It certainly would not hurt me a bit to walk a few blocks back and forth to my vehicle so it's working out just fine.
jodpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
WE had a 30ft class A gasser and occasionally travelled without a toad. Without the toad you can always back up and wriggle into two parking spaces at curbs. Sometimes it was necessary to park a short walk to dinner, movie etc but we always found parking. When entering a town we were going to spend the night in, we would go to dinner or shopping, before going to the RV park. No toad also means you don't need long rv spaces. It is a trade off which sometimes works best.

We once towed from Calif to Georgia and back. 5,000 mi and probably didn't drive the toad a 100 miles on side trips. We wasted a lot of gas and put unnecessary wear and tear on the motorhome. We are full time now and do pull a toad but now have a class A diesel. Toad / no toad, works either way just different issues.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I think most of the Cambrias are v10 powered Fords and should easily pull the Merc. I don't know where you're getting your info from but I'd be looking a lot deeper into this.
Our 2008 Aspect 26A is only rated to tow 3500# with the E450 chassis. I have found that other years and models of Cambrias and Aspects (same vehicle) can have a 4500# rating but I seem to remember they are either longer or shorter than mine. The problem isn't having enough oomph to pull it but rather the strength of the chassis or the rating of the hitch.

To the OP if yours is a 26A or smaller you really won't NEED to have a toad as your rig is pretty easy to maneuver around in. That doesn't minimize the hassle of having to break down camp when you need to go get something or to sightsee. We try to plan our trips more carefully so we can take advantage of when we are moving and enjoy it when we are sitting. I am still on the fence about getting a toad and I'm sure after a few more months travelling without one, I will make up my mind
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #10

On the 2015 Cambria there is ~ 8000 lbs to play with between capacities.
The problem is that the GL450 weighs in a bit under 6000 lbs. The hitch on the Cambria is rated for 5000 lbs.

Given the specs you might be able to tow the MH with the GL450. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #11

What make and model SUV?
The hitch rate on your Cambria should be 5000#
I tow a Ford Flex at 4200#
Have towed out west in the mountains with no problem. In handling or braking.

The Ford E450 chassis is a V10 2valve engine. They do not get the V10 3 valve engine.
The Trans. with Tow/Haul works very well.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #12

I have a Class C. I usually don't bring any car when I travel but I live in it FT so when I travel I don't go anywhere where I'll need a separate car..

Marti
RVDreams504
YouTube: rvdreams504
rvdreams504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your replys. I am checking with the dealer to get exact weight of my suv.

We are also in a way afraid to tow it. It seems that it sways a lot when driving on the highway When driving it.
We are still really new at this. My husband keeps telling me we should have gotten the A class like he wanted. I talked him into the cambria.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #14

The SUV is also too heavy for most gasser A's. It's a beast.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, newbie