Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class C purchase decisions

Hi all! I’m new here and grateful to have found this forum! We are running into one issue after the other on finding the right class C under 30 ft. We found the perfect floor plan for us in a Four Winds 28A on an E450 chassis. But the fridge is small at 6 cu ft, and the black water tank is pathetic at 25 gallons. We found the same floor plan with Leprechaun 27QB on an E350 with a better black tank capacity. We adamantly do not want to utilize a portable waste tank receptacle. But we also think we’ll be hugely disappointed in an E350 in that size MH. Our second option is the Greyhawk 26Y, but not a fan of the front slideout and minimal overall storage space. The Redhawk 29XK (32’ 6”) is also the ideal balance of features, but again, we were hoping to stay around the 30ft mark for ease of finding preferred campsites, especially when we will tow our small Jeep Cherokee Sport. I’m very interested in this community’s thoughts and experiences. Thank you in advance!
GSDlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Wink Lots of options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover View Post
Hi all! I’m new here and grateful to have found this forum! We are running into one issue after the other on finding the right class C under 30 ft. We found the perfect floor plan for us in a Four Winds 28A on an E450 chassis. But the fridge is small at 6 cu ft, and the black water tank is pathetic at 25 gallons. We found the same floor plan with Leprechaun 27QB on an E350 with a better black tank capacity. We adamantly do not want to utilize a portable waste tank receptacle. But we also think we’ll be hugely disappointed in an E350 in that size MH. Our second option is the Greyhawk 26Y, but not a fan of the front slideout and minimal overall storage space. The Redhawk 29XK (32’ 6”) is also the ideal balance of features, but again, we were hoping to stay around the 30ft mark for ease of finding preferred campsites, especially when we will tow our small Jeep Cherokee Sport. I’m very interested in this community’s thoughts and experiences. Thank you in advance!
A couple of thoughts ...

I would not let a 6 cu ft rig be a deal breaker though larger would be nice.

A 25 gallon black tank also is not a problem. Our 24' C only has 20 gallons each for black and grey and we have yet to fill either in the last 6 years. Rarely if ever will you be driving down the road with full tanks as every campground/RV park we have ever visited has restrooms of some sort and dump stations are usually available if not in the CG then at nearby truck stops etc..

If the E-350 has the V-10 with at least a 5 speed trans {6 would be better} you will have no issues with a 27' C. The 350 gets better mileage and has a smoother ride than the E-450. If you are going to tow/load heavy then the E-450 becomes a better choice. it all comes down to how you are going to use the rig the most.

Being lighter by a couple of thousand pounds the 350 will have no performance issues and will often outrun a comparable E-450. Typically I am towing my 10' Cargo trailer hauling either my Indian Springfield motorcycle {Bike and trailer = 2,220#} or my Polaris Rzr {Rzr and trailer = 2,580#}. Your Jeep should pose no challenge for an E-350. I have a 2012 E-350 and after 6+ years and 58K trouble free miles could not be happier with the ride, handling and overall performance.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

I have the 31 ft. SunSeeker and tow a 16 ft. deck car trailer and have only had to drop the trailer 4 times since 2012 and we have 95000 miles on it. When DW drives her Escape and me the MH, never any problem getting a spot.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

We just purchased an Entegra Odyssey 25r. It has the corner bed but we actually like that. It comes in at 28'8".

I also wanted to stay under 30'. If your looking at Redhawks and greyhawks, you should definitely look at these. They have the Entegra name, but im pretty sure Jayco manufactures them. They offer a 24b that we almost pulled the trigger on, but we prefer the dedicated threater seating. Good Luck!

Oh, fresh water tank is 47, gw is 41, and black is 32. Tank sizes were also important to us.
EJ_Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover View Post
Have you looked at the coachmen leprechaun 260ds?
https://www.coachmenrv.com/class-c-m...aun/260DS/1527
The new ones come with a smaller refrigerator but the 2016 - 2018 came with a side by side refrigerator, and the recliner options is better than the sofa.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for all the feedback! We ended up getting a Four Winds 28A. After visiting a few dealerships, years of attending the annual RV show here in So Cal, internet searches, and spending an entire day this weekend at the Fontana RV show (we were there the previous weekend, too), and drilling reps and salespeople with questions, we decided this one will likely suit us best.
GSDlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, purchase