Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fordfixer,

Which version of the JRide system do you have on this coach? If you have the Ultra package, there is probably very little suspension wise that you can or need to do. Tire pressure is step one, but after that it comes down to driving techniques.

Is this your first motorhome? If it is, what you are describing is pretty typical to the new motorhome driver. There a few driving habits that will reduce the movement you are feeling (which is actually caused by oversteering). First off, drive a 1/4 mile ahead of where you are looking. Don't worry about stuff 50-100 ft in front of you. The next trick requires you to adjust your seat and arm rests. What you want to do is lock your elbows down and drive only with your hands/wrists. This will greatly lessen overcorrection.

Wind is going to push you - you are a giant sail. If you don't overreact, you will drift back into your lane. Trucks are scary but if you anticipate them, they are even easier to adjust to. The bow wave from an 18 wheeler will push you over a foot or two, at most, which is easy to compensate for. The tail end will suck you toward the trailer which is the scariest. Just anticipate the rear end and steer slightly to right away from the trailer. Now do this for 3000-4000 miles and you will be a pro.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #16

Fordfixer and Walt,

An update. I reduced my tires using a commercial guage to 95psi. Interestingly, when my EEZ tire monitor system picked up the readings they were 90psi.

Left them as is and drove 650 miles to Elkhart Sunday and yesterday. What a huge difference. Steers straight, very little wandering. Much more resistance to losing the line when trucks pass. One handed driving is now comfortable - not that I do that much but safer when reaching for a drink or to operate dash.

Friggin amazing. Thanks for your help. Like driving a pickup truck.

I am a happy camper!

Chris
Old 05-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Fordfixer and Walt,

An update. I reduced my tires using a commercial guage to 95psi. Interestingly, when my EEZ tire monitor system picked up the readings they were 90psi.

Left them as is and drove 650 miles to Elkhart Sunday and yesterday. What a huge difference. Steers straight, very little wandering. Much more resistance to losing the line when trucks pass. One handed driving is now comfortable - not that I do that much but safer when reaching for a drink or to operate dash.

Friggin amazing. Thanks for your help. Like driving a pickup truck.

I am a happy camper!

Chris
I am beginning to think the larger the wheel the more handling effect one will experience with adjusting front tire pressures. Just a theory based on feedback from Class A and now Seneca drivers.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
Chris, the next time you're loaded for travel get your rig weighed on some CAT scales (very easy to do) and set tires pressures according to MH tire mfger instructions (but never less than 75% of max pressure).
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #19

Tyre Inflation vs Handling

This is just a theory:

When the pressure in a tyre is reduced the contact patch is enlarged. The total dynamics of the rolling tyre start where the “rubber hits the road”. As such one half of the increase in the contact patch length is added to the mechanical trail there by increasing the straight line stability in the same manner as increasing the caster angle.

(Mechanical Trail is the moment arm between the steering pivot point (fore) and the center of the contact patch (aft))
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Chris, the next time you're loaded for travel get your rig weighed on some CAT scales (very easy to do) and set tires pressures according to MH tire mfger instructions (but never less than 75% of max pressure).
Walt, I already did this. The weight ticket is posted on the 1st page of this thread. Resetting pressures to 90psi solved my problem - I'm quite pleased.

By the way, I have a Nexus Ghost on the International chassis, not a Seneca on the Freightliner but I think the experience would be similar on the Freightliner.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Chris, yep I missed that. When you use those tables allow for some weight differences from side to side. My 90 psi has plenty of safety factor.

Pressures too high it won't handle right and have uneven wear. Too little and you get too much sidewall flex, uneven wear, and higher risk of blowout. Thats why you should never go below 75% of max pressure.

When you take your chassis in for service don't be surprised when they set the tires to max pressure. Its what they do for over the road trucks...different application.

I was fortunate to belong to a forum that had a tire company expert who provided a great deal of information about tires from setting pressures to brand differences.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, suspension, upgrade