Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class C the best?

We have a 2007 32 ft winnie class c. I recently got the itch to get bigger &better. Looked at several class a"s and though how nice they are. Lately I have been on the class A forums and they seem to have more problems than we do. Windshield frames rust ,rust underneath and whole list of maintance problems that we don't normally deal with. I know our rigs are not with out problems,but I don't think I would enjoy a maintance issue on every trip. Your thoughts please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
We have a 2007 32 ft winnie class c. I recently got the itch to get bigger &better. Looked at several class a"s and though how nice they are. Lately I have been on the class A forums and they seem to have more problems than we do. Windshield frames rust ,rust underneath and whole list of maintance problems that we don't normally deal with. I know our rigs are not with out problems,but I don't think I would enjoy a maintance issue on every trip. Your thoughts please.
we had a 209 holiday rambler class "c"after first season and a half we decided to go a little bigger where length challenged for our parking space so we only added a couple of feet but 2 slides. class "a" gave us more living space no problems with either rig both had about 500 delivery miles on them all issues were minor and taken care of without hassle. i think picking your dealer is as important as picking your dealer (or seller)
what ever you do HAPPY TRAILS
brianj

Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

I think it all depends on the unit. I think the only drawback is the cab. One of the obvious downsides to class A's is you don't have conventional low-step front cab doors, and the cabs are entirely custom...meaning that if you have an older Class A that needs a wiper arm, a hood, or a hinge, it might be hard (or sometimes impossible) to find a part. Some of the parts coach companies use are be generic parts, so if you have a good eye, you might recognize what they're off of (be it a power window button from a Jeep Cherokee, or door handle from a Lincoln). But other parts are their own creation. Either way, it's seldom a cake-walk. Luckily there are way around everything, including merely using another suitable part.

But cab aside, there's no other drawbacks. Powertrain wise, if the class A has a more common gas engine, maintenance/repairs is not much different than Class Cs. Class As ride miles smoother, over more power, and are quite stable as well, as they are built on dedicated coach chassis, where as a Class C is more of a conversion. A Ford Econoline was never intended to weigh upwards of 15000lbs and be 30-35 long. Class Cs are better suited for units under 30ft.

In my opinion, test drive a few, and buy what you like. The Class As seem overwhelming at first, which is why you have to spend at least an afternoon with one. It may grow on you. And realistically, it's seldom that you have to replace something like a hood, or a hinge anyway. The "meat" of any Motorhome is custom work done by the coach-companu, so having about 4ft of body that is Ford/GM/Dodge etc doesn't make much difference. You can have issues with side windows, and panels with a Class C just like a Class A. My 2 cents
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

In our case the choice was simple, the DW said she'd drive a Class C, in a Class A she was only ever going to be a passenger.

Since we often use the MH for a home-base at an airport or other destination away from home (a fly in, an extended visit with family, etc.) and she drives the MH with the 'fur-kids' and I fly there, having something she's comfortable driving was crucial to us.

It's also a 'bunkie' at our place up at the lake when not otherwise in service, and with the goat path into our place, you'd never get in and out of there with a Class A in one piece.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are pluses and minuses to both Class A & C. The one you like is "the best." If we had kids at home, we'd definitely be rollin' in a C right now.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
There are pluses and minuses to both Class A & C. The one you like is "the best." If we had kids at home, we'd definitely be rollin' in a C right now.
Amen on a class C for kids. We dont have to fold out a couch every night.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Worth looking at is the load capacity. Most 30 ft plus E450 based C's are maxed out at thier 14k GVWR when they leave the factory.

Our first class A, a Ford v10 F53, was a 22k coach. our second, the Monaco DP, is 33k, with 2 and 1/2 tons of cargo capacity.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what it's worth my Class C has 2000lbs worth of Cargo Carrying Capacity. That is already after factoring in a full tank of gas, water, and propane. That does not include people, so minus 900lbs. Still have plenty of room left for food and "stuff".
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

Well,.....as a previous owner of 3 class A's I can tell you it does depend on what brand you get!!!!!!!!
My first motorhome was a 1988 34 ft Winniebago no slides on a Chevy chassis..
Problems where jacks quit after a couple uses. Maybe partly because of me being a rookie and not doing, or knowing how to take care of them. Turned out to be a leaking hose and low on fluid. The other problems I had with it was Fridge quit, generator wouldn't start, major fuel leak at rear heater, AC quit in Texas summer heat, fuel pump went out, had a spare changed it on the side of the road. plus I had a bad short in the wiring harness that kept blowing fuses and made my gauges quit working and burnt out my alternator. Owned it 2 years....For a used unit and a rookie not too bad unless you talk to my DW about our vacation from H*ll! but thats another story, a long one.
My second motorhome was a 36 ft 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE w/slide on a Ford Chassis. Great unit ...... only problem I had with it was the fan clutch went out on the way to Montana. $88 part, $45 labor and 6 hours at a small shop in the middle on nowhere SD. Best overall motorhome I ever had. Solid wood cabinets, a quailty built unit. In 1997 Monaco bought HR out and the quailty went down fron there for HR. Really nice unit.
My 3rd was the 5th wheel, a 36 ft triple slide Hitchhiker, huge unit, lots of room but a PITA to setup and tear down not to mention stopping along side the road to eat, sleep or potty. EVERYTHING is in the trailer, It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, cramped with the slides in, just not made for travel but great once you're setup somewhere. Loved it when we where set up, hated it for travel, just not convenient.
Not we get intonumber 4, the big money units, a 1998 40 ft HR Imperial w/slides, Cummins 350 diesel w/turbo, allison trans, a monster of a motorhome. Replaced all the furniture because the prior owner use it to livein for a period if time, he said year and half but from the condition of the household items it looked like forever, we replaced all the furniture, Fridge, sofa, recliners, TV, DVD, mattress, dining table and chairs etc. Never any problems with the motorhome but the $200 oil change. $200 trans service, $200 generator service, $3,500 for tires I could not justify the expense to let it set behind our home so I sold it. Now I am homeless (no RV). a very sad feeling for someone who had owned on for the past 10 years..... But I made it thru the first summer ah but the second spring I was back out looking again.
My 4th motorhome, (5th RV) is a 24 ft Born Free no slide, gas V 10 appx 10 MPG
Class C. not too big, kinda small if you plan on living in it but big enough for travel, camping, or just a weekender bunk room at home. Is it perfect? no ...Is it comfy? yes
At least I'm not homeless now...:~)