Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor Four Winds 23U

We purchased a used 2012 Thor Four Winds (9200 miles) earlier this year. It has the Chevy chassis. We had it inspected prior to closing and it was inspected again when we added an extended warranty by the insurer.

We specifically chose the smaller (23U), no slide, version simply because it had fewer things to go wrong. We have done a number of trips, including the recent IRV2 rally in Myrtle Beach (we towed a RAV4) and averaged 10 mpg for the trip.

I do understand that we are all investing big (not as big as the Class A folks) sums of money and it has to be frustrating when usage is impacted.

Maybe they were doing a better job in 2012, but our experience to date has been a positive one. We will certainly repost should that change, but hopefully its an extended warranty issue if need be.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #30

All is good here with our Four Winds. Some minor issues?, sure.. Nothing at all major. We love everything about it. Comfort, power, MPG, ride, etc. We have owned it since the KC, Mo. RV show in January of this year. We have 4,000 miles on her so far, just wish it could have been 10,000. Spent 55 nights in it this year.

rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Frankly in the world of RV's it is a roll of the dice. We are looking at Class C's having sold our diesel pusher in March. Winnebago is beautiful but cost almost as much as our Journey did in 05. I am partial to Winnebago, having owned 3 but the new one will be short trips and taking the great grandkids camping. I looked at 2 small Thor 4 Winds on our dealers lot and found no quality issues, in fact went back to buy the 2015 Ford and it was gone. Found issues with the Jaco either Red or Greyhawk, don't remember. I think it depends if they were made on Friday or not. We are not going to order one. We want to see them on the lot and take time looking them over. Maybe we will get lucky and find a good used unit. I am lurking here on the forums as I know that there are known issues on some model years of rigs and want to be informed.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #32

Had a Jayco 5th wheel from 2006 to 2014 no problems. Had a Thor Class A Hurricane from July 2013 until NOW. Getting a 2014 Winnebago 30J. I just did not feel comfortable with what was going on with the Thor. 3 months in the shop for warranty work and I could still see issues forth coming. Going back to Class C.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #33

Anybody own a 2001 Jayco 3150J

We sold our 1999 Class A and just bought a 2001 Jayco 3150J. wanted the Class C for the overhead sleeping bunk for our kids.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #34

I have a 2006 Four Winds C with very few problems, nothing major. I have a 2008 Jayco Designer Fifth Wheel again very few problems. I think it is kind of a roll of the dice. Choose a unit that suits your needs and you will be happy with. Somebody once told me that RV's come "partially assembled".
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #35

Thor Chateau

Here is my 2 cents.............
Bought a new 2012 24C with the Triton V10. These are the issues we have had
1. mud flaps burned off in the first few hundred miles....poor design, I fixed this myself.
2. bad vibration....hundreds of $$ later determined the frame had been stretched 11 inches to fit the 24c and the drive shaft inclination was not set correctly. Much aggravation and weeks of screwing around with the vendors. Reimbursed but still have vibration at certain load values when traveling
3. No electric hot water heater function....flip the switch nothing happens. Thor said to take it in to service....had to wait three months to get an apt with the local dealer...results were that the heater is not set up for electric only gas. Factory installed the wrong panel! Just block off the switch if it bothers you!
4. Slide goes out and returns staggered....dealer says I am not putting the slide out correctly! They reprogrammed the control ? and it is working now but it chaffs on the chassis since it was not centered at the factory. I am living with it!
5. Heater duct under the dinette does not function.....dealer says the heater has no capacity to blow hot air out to a duct, only the front of the unit. Live with it.
6. the water pipes and the pump made such rattling noises that the wife hated it. Had to design my own cushions to support the pipes to keep them from bumping. Better but not the best yet.
7. RV steered strangely so off to Ford and 300 bucks later they say the alignment was off and supported it with docs before and after. No one will take responsibility for this so I ate it.
8. Went to use the dinette bed and found that the cushion for the table area is 1 1/4" thicker than the other surrounding cushions making it totally unusable. Waiting to hear what can be done on this.

So good luck with any new purchase. We figured we would buy a fresh new unit and be ahead of the game but as one can read that is not the case. As said before....it is a roll of the dice.

Oh, and it gets used............since last August when I purchased it we have racked up 17000 miles and are now in CA so we will add another 4k before we get home.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #36
WDW

Class C - Thor vs Jayco. your thoughts

Picking up 31FK tomorrow!

We spent a lot of time looking at the Winnebago products, Thor products, Forest River of course Jayco.

It's our early opinion that the Jayco product is hands-down better designed, better equipped and value added coach. in comparison to the Winnebago, there is none. We looked at both 31 KP and a 27QP and in instances there were finished wood surfaces with drywall screws splintering the wood holding them in place.

The Jayco comes with an inverter, big foot levelers and what they call their J ride which is nothing more than old-fashioned quality design springs shocks and steering enhancements. Have been driving all of the above vehicles hands-down the Jayco coach is a much easier ride then the Winnebago.

We were originally going with the winnebago from the down the road reseal perspective of the brand-name for resale. Fortunately the dealer we were working with screwed up the deal twice over in fact and put us in a position to walk away and rethink our options.

Originally we didn't put a lot of stock in the Jayco research because we did not like the sales person at the dealership that we had access to in our region. However working with them they made it right and took very good care of us in putting together a deal and closing the sale.

There's just little things about the Jayco that I found really neat. like the bathroom fan had a switch on the wall unlike the Winnebago that you have to reach up and push a button in the ceiling with the switch that's worth 20 cents. The fact that it came with fantastic fans and didn't have to ask the Winnebago dealer to upgrade to those. The command center is concealed behind a nice little glass door where as just about every other coach has it on display like you are in space shuttle. The heating system cooling system has a digital thermostat which was not an extra item for us to purchase which we desired. And while the verdict is out on the navigation system in the – radio at least it has one where is Winnebago only offers it in the Trend and other higher end models.

Just our two cents at least at the doorstep of this next chapter for us good luck to everyone!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Picking up 31FK tomorrow!

We spent a lot of time looking at the Winnebago products, Thor products, Forest River of course Jayco.

It's our early opinion that the Jayco product is hands-down better designed, better equipped and value added coach. in comparison to the Winnebago, there is none. We looked at both 31 KP and a 27QP and in instances there were finished wood surfaces with drywall screws splintering the wood holding them in place.

The Jayco comes with an inverter, big foot levelers and what they call their J ride which is nothing more than old-fashioned quality design springs shocks and steering enhancements. Have been driving all of the above vehicles hands-down the Jayco coach is a much easier ride then the Winnebago.

We were originally going with the winnebago from the down the road reseal perspective of the brand-name for resale. Fortunately the dealer we were working with screwed up the deal twice over in fact and put us in a position to walk away and rethink our options.

Originally we didn't put a lot of stock in the Jayco research because we did not like the sales person at the dealership that we had access to in our region. However working with them they made it right and took very good care of us in putting together a deal and closing the sale.

There's just little things about the Jayco that I found really neat. like the bathroom fan had a switch on the wall unlike the Winnebago that you have to reach up and push a button in the ceiling with the switch that's worth 20 cents. The fact that it came with fantastic fans and didn't have to ask the Winnebago dealer to upgrade to those. The command center is concealed behind a nice little glass door where as just about every other coach has it on display like you are in space shuttle. The heating system cooling system has a digital thermostat which was not an extra item for us to purchase which we desired. And while the verdict is out on the navigation system in the – radio at least it has one where is Winnebago only offers it in the Trend and other higher end models.

Just our two cents at least at the doorstep of this next chapter for us good luck to everyone!
Congratulations WDW....have fun and enjoy the ride!

Tags
class c, jayco, thor