Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

Smile Class C - Thor vs Jayco. your thoughts

I am wondering on opinions for the following question. Thor products vs Jayco. I know Winnebagos look like a quality product and am wondering on the other 2. We are thinking of a Class C and want to make an informed decision.
Please let me know your thoughts and why. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

We have a Thor Four Winds Class C. No major issues, just some minor annoyances. We just got back from a 4000 mile trip with it, and everything worked as well as could be expected. After a major trip, I do need to go through and find some of the screws that fell out of the window treatments. I think they have a tendency to over-tighten the screws, which strips them out in the wood.

Overall we're happy with the Thor. When we were buying, we might have bought a Winnebago over a Thor if the dealer had one with an acceptable floor plan under 30 feet at a good price. Never really looked a Jayco.

zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezi View Post
I am wondering on opinions for the following question. Thor products vs Jayco. I know Winnebagos look like a quality product and am wondering on the other 2. We are thinking of a Class C and want to make an informed decision.
Please let me know your thoughts and why. Thanks!
I will never buy another RV from a publically traded company. Why? The executives of publically held companies have to make their “numbers” quarterly. The stock price and therefore their bonuses and stock related compensation (options and price appreciation of stock owned) depend on making those numbers. This leads to short-term thinking in regards to material, labor and component quality.

I believe that privately owned companies such as Jayco and Newmar take a longer- range view. Obviously they need to make money too but the families are in it for the long haul unlike most executives in public companies.

JMHO

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

I have a THOR Four Winds and have been very happy with it. I did look at Jayco and Winnie, Jayco was very nice, lots of options but was also very heavy. I did not notice the quality of the Winnie to be any better than either the Jayco or the four winds. In the end the Four Winds had the floor plan we wanted and it was cheaper, win win.
Brent
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Class C - Thor vs Jayco. your thoughts

It's the old Ford vs Chevy routine! Personal opinions. Not facts. Get what suits you needs and you will be happy with!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
It's the old Ford vs Chevy routine! Personal opinions. Not facts. Get what suits you needs and you will be happy with!
I would agree. As I kind of hinted at, some of the Winnebagos we saw just didn't suit us. The Thor just made sense for our family and how we wanted to use it. It's been a good rig so far.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #7

They all use the same chassis source, They all use the same material sources and techniques. The only real differences are in the layouts and to a small extent how well they are executed. Layout makes a much bigger difference than anything else.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

We went from a Winnebago to Jayco simply because my wife saw one on the lot of a local car dealership. She said I like it, want to look closer and after checking it out felt that it would suit our needs perfectly, which it does. We do not have any RV dealers that are less that 45 minutes away but the car dealership was 5 minutes away.

We like them and the way they do business and ended up buying a new car from them also. So far we have not found anything about either to complain about.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were in the market for a used Jayco Greyhawk and found one that was very nice and suited our needs, UNTIL my wife spotted our current Coachmen 31F (made by FourWinds/Thor) with a side isle next to it. We had not seen a side isle floor plan before so it was what made the difference. We are very happy with this unit and wouldn't hesitate in purchasing another Thor coach. We did have a Winnebago Class A previously and the quality was excellent, as is Jayco's. As nothermark stated they all use the same chassis source so it comes down to floor plan and this one fits us perfectly. Since we have no little ones the overhead bunk was not needed so the entertainment system instead of the bunk is a real plus for us.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #10

Just my opinion:
On a scale of 1 to 10:
Jayco = 8
Thor = 2
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosenose View Post
We were in the market for a used Jayco Greyhawk and found one that was very nice and suited our needs, UNTIL my wife spotted our current Coachmen 31F (made by FourWinds/Thor) with a side isle next to it.
Coachmen is owned by Forest River, not Four Winds/Thor.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #12

It is confusing because they all use the same model numbers and have very similar floor plans. Ours is a Four Winds 31f with the side hall, this is our second class c and we absolutely love the side hall, the bathroom is very large and you don't have to walk through it to get to the bedroom. We must be in the minority liking this floor plan because Four Winds no longer offers it.
Brent
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Coachmen is owned by Forest River, not Four Winds/Thor.
Mitch F, You are entirely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. Coachmen is made by Forest River. I meant to say Dutchmen as you can see what we own by my signature line. I had Coachmen on the brain I guess as my nephew just purchased one and the names are similar.

Brent, the huge bathroom, bedroom and vertical windows in the side isle is what sold us too. I doubt we could find another floor plan to top this one. The only negative is the battery compartment. Obviously the designer never works on motorhomes. What a joke that design is. I just ordered a battery watering system for it. We will see if that helps.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

There have been some very interesting comments about chassis and materials etc.

My .02...it's more about your dealer/repairman than it is the brand. All motor homes have issues, my FIL put thousands of miles on his Foretravel driving from AZ to TX for warranty work. If you have a good repair facility that you trust and does quality work then the experience will be a good one. I have owned both Thor and Jayco. I will never own another Thor, but that is because of my experience, not because they don't put out some nice floor plans at a pretty good price.

Tags
class c, jayco, thor