Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Class C vs. TT

as one gets older and less mobile i am wondering what might be the advantages of a Class C vs. a TT. my wife and i now have a 26 foot bumper pull TT and are wondering if the Class C might be easier to set up/take down that the TT is. I would appreciate any advice.
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of my deciding factors for choosing a class C was security. Should I ever get uneasy about where I'm parked it's easy to hop in the driver's seat and leave. Works best when dry camping, but if something really spooked me I would consider yanking out the connections. No walking to get in the rig in nasty weather, either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Larry and welcome
Personally I think the set up and take down between your TT and a class C will be about the same. Both involve blocking and levelling, connecting all water sewer and power. Unloading all camping equipment. Upside will be better access to the kitchen, washroom and bed. Possible
more storage space. Downside will be not having a separate vehicle for sight seeing.
I hope this will help.
Pat
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

great ideas....thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We own a Class C and don't have many issues with blocking and leveling. Most of the time we are able to drive in and be fine. But we don't have to unhook anything. Just let out slide, hook ups and we are ready to get the chairs out and relax. I like that we don't have to put the cat in a carrier and move to another vehicle. If we need to stop anywhere and it is hot out, we can crank up the gen, turn on the a/c and the animals are comfortable. We are able to stop on the side of an exit ramp and use the facilities, stop most anywhere and make our lunch.

If we get to the CG and its pouring down rain, we just sit and wait it out before setting up. Good luck with your decision.

The one downside, is we have to tow a vehicle if we want to get out and about. But we are fine with that.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

We thought about a TT and pop-up defore deciding on a Class C. Two deciding factors were the kids can watch TV, play video games and have their own "space" and the DW wanted easy access to the bathroom.

We rented a Class C for 10 tens days and went to the Grand Canyon. There were almost zero fights between the kids, we were able to pull over and use the bathroom, grab a cool drink from the fridge and made lunch 2-3 times.

Those conveniences out-weighed not having a seperate vehicle.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #7

They may cost more that a TT but the convenences of not unhooking the vehicle unless towing were a major selling point for me. I'm lazy at heart. I just upgraded to a used 2002 and its like taking the home with me. I just went on a trip, it was nice spending several days to clean up the mess after I came home
tonysrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

In my case the "less mobile" part is a bad back, not age, so I'm sure the motivations are similar.

My DW is just fine driving a cube van, she has many times over the years, but the thought of driving my crew cab dually with a TT out the back was scaring the bejeebers out of her.

Some days 500 miles driving is no problem for me, some days I look to the left and sneeze to the right and I'm lucky to make it to the end of the driveway pain-free.

So when we went looking at campers my DW said "if we got one of those cube-van campers I'd be ok driving, while you moved to a different seat and got comfy for a while", that was enough for me.

On our maiden voyage she happily drove about 1/3 of the 1,500 miles home and had a blast doing it!

We have 2 dogs also, they like the freedom of places to lay or sit and look around from.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have to agree with the stay inside options with a C versus a TT. we also travel with the kids the ease of bathroom access is the best with kids. We will let them get up and go if we are on interstate but not in town. With 6 kids we would only get 5 mile between pitstops. The setup is very straight forward the only differance is the unhooking/hooking of a pull vechicle. The rest is all the same no matter the rig. You can get leveling jacks for C so push button done that only leaves water/sewer and electric.

You might even consider a small class A our last one was 27 feet and a breeze to drive. The biggest thing is get the floor plan you want the rest will work out.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #10

great comments!!! thanks!
now, here is a chance for y'all to get a good laugh at a newbee!!! What is a DW????
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #11

I think i have found our what DW means...........Dear Wife.!!!??
my little brain could only come up with Designated Wife...........
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't feel bad I asked same ??
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #13

Dear Wife is the more polite version of SWMBO.

She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #14

We have a 24ft diesel class C. Get twice the milage of pulling our 28ft TT. Can go just about anywhere with. We're considering getting a toad but so far we haven't had a pressing need. Love the convenience of having everything at hand when traveling. DW gets me something to drink, can use the bathroom, etc. Much easier to set up and take down too.