Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to flatpanel
Class C want to replace couch with two recliners

I have a 2011 Jayco Greyhawk which we love except for when watching tv or just relaxing. Would like to replace the couch with two recliners which could be bolted down. This couch is on the slide out along with the dinette. Would appreciate any ideas or someone who does this type of work. Want to be sure I don't screw up my warranty by doing this change. We have enough room for ourselves if we could just change this part of the layout

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

I've considered that myself. I figured the couch comes apart into two pieces to get out the door. Then you find two smallish recliner chairs that would fit in the space. Bolting them down would probably require some type of "L" bracket on the legs of the chairs. I don't think it would be that difficult. I don't think it would effect your warranty. What we looked at was a two seat couch recliner we saw in a 5'er. It would fit in the space and basically would replace the couch with another of the same size but with reclining seats. It is specifically designed for an RV, to be bolted down, with a frame that permits reclining in a limited space. It is a bit pricey in that you have to order it from an RV supplier or remodeler. We have been looking in furniture stores, but most of them are too big and take up too much space to recline. I will be interested in responses to this post.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

We have a 32 ft Sunseeker, we took sofa out, very easy, only needed 1 person
We found 2 recliners at Big Lots, and they worked out great, we can now watch tv without breaking our neck.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We replaced the Hideabed couch in our Class A. Couch set in left side slideout. Dismanteled couch and it went out the door. We bought two Euro Recliners that fit very well. Drilled one hole in the round base on each one and run an eyebolt through it into seatbelt holes when traveling. They stay in place very well.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the info. Gives me something to think about.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

We removed the J-sofa from the driver's side slideout. It went throught he door easily once we laid it flat, i.e., like it was in sleeper mode. Then, we bought a double recliner love seat from Lazboy. We had 60 inches in length to work with, and the love seat is 57 inches. We had to order the love seat, so we have not installed it yet. The backs are removable, so I do not anticipate any problem getting the love seat into the RV. The love seat will overhang the edge of the slideout a few inches, so I will mount bed rollers on the front of the frame to roll on the floor as the slideout goes in and out. Sacrificing this small amount of space is worth it for the recliners. I will bolt 4 metal plates to the studs that held down the J-sofa with step bends that will rest on top of the metal frame of the love seat to secure it for travel. We will use the seat belts that were designed for the J-sofa. The love seat is supposed to be here in 2 days, so I will try to get it installed this weekend. Wish me luck!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out and would love to see a picture of the finished product if possible.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpanel View Post
I have a 2011 Jayco Greyhawk which we love except for when watching tv or just relaxing. Would like to replace the couch with two recliners which could be bolted down. This couch is on the slide out along with the dinette. Would appreciate any ideas or someone who does this type of work. Want to be sure I don't screw up my warranty by doing this change. We have enough room for ourselves if we could just change this part of the layout
I have a 2010 31SS I want to do the same thing. Would be interested in what you find out.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #9

A friend from work is having to do some engineering to install the love seat. It went into the RV with no problem with the seat backs removed. I wanted a wall hugger, but I could not find one that I liked, so I went with this one:

Pinnacle Reclina-Way® Full Reclining Loveseat - Official La-Z-Boy Website

We ordered one with a patterned fabric that goes well with our interior.

Since we need to be able to slide the love seat out to recline fully, we are replacing the leveler feet with wide bed casters. We are installing tracks on the floor of the slide out to guide the casters so they will roll straight back and straight out to avoid the wires and gas line coming out of the floor. These casters are high enough to clear these wires and the gas line. My friend is fabricating 4 braces that will bolt to the floor using the same bolts as the seat belts. These braces are designed in such a way as to allow the frame of the love seat to move out and back freely, but not allow it to move upward in case of an accident. Since the front casters will protrude out beyond the slide out floor when the love seat is pulled out, we are installing screw down feet, larger but similar to the leveling feet provided with the love seat. Then, I can screw these down to the RV floor to support the love seat when we have the slides extended and are using the love seat for reclining. Once we have all of this done, I will try to provide some pictures to make this clearer.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We wanted to remove the dinette and replace with a couple of the recliners or a sofa, but being new to the motorhome thing we did not look under the dinette seats. I just assumed it was storage like I had under the dinette seat on my boat, that converted to a bunk. WRONG, we have not one fresh water tank.......... but 2. The owners before us must have added the second one.
We are considering removing them both and going ahead with the idea of swapping for the sofa. Then we would have to use city water hook up or have none. Jury is still out here, would like input on this idea.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we did that last year, took out the couch and replaced it with a side by side recliner, all I did was measure the length of the couch and than went out with a tape measure and checked all in that same length. funny the first one I checked out was the one I bought 2 weeks later..... very simple change over took about 2 hrs for the removal, took the motor home to the dealer and had them load the couch into my rig....... better their back than mine...... wish I had done it sooner............. fits great.............
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we lost nothing in the process, however the recliner was in the slide out area so nothing below the chairs except for the floor.........
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

I would like to post some pix showing our finished installation. Can someone tell me how to do that?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

we are thinking of doing the same thing. Could you please let me know what kind of recliners and how you attached them? Thanks.

Tags
replace