Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Class C weight issue...New Question

Folks,

I am new to this forum, with my wife and I looking at our first Class C after owning travel trailer.

I understand the weight issue(s), the acronyms, axles, all of it. My question is how in the world does a potential buyer of a new Class C know, before the new unit arrives, what the CCC will be? And hence, whether he/she should buy it or not?

Not really interested in finding out after it shows up. The sales people haven't a clue. Many cannot find the CCC label on a vehicle on thier lot, or say that no one has ever asked them about CCC. No manufacturer web sites list CCC numbers, not even for base models, and if you try to find weight of options like double glazed windows, hydraulic leveling jacks, etc by making inquiries to the factory, they claim they don't know the weights, or simply don't respond to your emails and phone calls, or tell you to talk to your dealer, or tell you the CCC of every unit will be on the unit when shipped.

Also, though none of the "weight issue" threads I have found mention it, don't we need to know, before purchase, how much CCC is available over each axle? 2000 lbs of CCC isn't much help if the rear axle weight of the unloaded unit is 9500 lbs on a 9600lb max axle.

Did you folks buy your Class C's without having this information? if not, where did you find this information?

Thanks in advance for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

B.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

I don't recall if it had everything your asking for, but I found a big sticker in the overhead wall cabinet, just behind the drivers seat. Someone in the dealership should know where it is.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Thanks very much, but I wish to know the CCC of the Class C I am ordering from the dealer, before I order it.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeetsMaggie View Post
Thanks very much, but I wish to know the CCC of the Class C I am ordering from the dealer, before I order it.
It's a very wise concern. And to discover afterwards that you might have limited capacity is more than a great disappointment. You might post the manufacturer and model and perhaps an owner will be able to help. I'd also post this question on the Owner's Forum for the manufacturer of this model.

In addition, it seems to me you should be able to get a ballpark figure from the manufacturer with a phone call.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your best bet is to call the manufacturer of the coach you intend to purchase. They cannot/will not likely give you a precise number as it is dependant on the options installed. They should give you a rough estimate of the range. When you get the coach weighed at a CAT scale, you get weights for both axles along with the total for your towed vehicle. If you are overloaded, you can relocate your belongings forward or aft. That said, it is highly likely that you are within safety margins if only slightly over. Good luck, it is not really as complex as it seems!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeetsMaggie View Post
That's a valid concern!

I've read many threads on here from new owners of C's, and some A's, that have discovered after taking posession, they are almost overweight, before they load anything in there.
One that blew me away, the dealer, or manufacturer (can't remember), told the new owner not to travel with full fuel, and fresh water !!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

First, welcome to the forum.

If you are going to order one and the dealer cannot help you, you cannot rely on them.You will need to call the factory. It is easier with one in stock as it must have ccc info either on the door jam, mine has it, or inside the glove compartment, or a cabinet. In regards to how much weight each axle can handle, you will need to look in the manual, and then weight the unit. On a scale you can learn how much weight you already have in each axle, and compare it with the manual. All info is available, you just need to dig. Most E450 rear axles come ready for 9,600 # tops. Please keep in mind that you may want to tow a car.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #8

What length unit? The longer it is, the less capacity. In general, over 28ft is where it can get iffy. I have a 25, and we have about 4k of ccc. For a 10 day trip, with flat tow, we still had a literal ton left of capacity.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #9

Folks,

I appreciate everyones responses very much.

In making my inquiry to this forum, I purposely did not want to call out any one manufacturer, as I have encountered roadblocks to obtaining this information at all three of what I consider the big three manufacturers. Also, my idea was to find a source of CCC info for all manufacturers so that using the internet, I could look at floor plans, lengths, holding tank sizes, CCC's after adding options, etc and then understand the tradeoffs between all these factors. With this info, I could select a short list of possibilities and my wife and I could then go, fully informed, to the dealers and down select. Seems like a rational plan, but one needs CCC info to carry it out.

The factories will not provide this info, I have tried. Take Winnebago for example, and again, they are no better or worse than any other. The factory gave me a range of residual CCC after options for their line, e.g. the CCC will fall in-between a stated min and max. In every case the range goes from acceptable for my wife and I, to completely unacceptable. They will not tell you how much individual options weigh as "It could vary". I indicate I only need approximate option weights for obviously heavy options, hydraulic jacks, etc.. get same answer. Winnebago for instance, also has a "Convenience Package" option, which is in fact mandatory. They won't ship a unit without it. Asked if this mandatory option package is included in the min/max range or not, since it is mandatory, they can't say. Asked how much the convenience option package weighs, they don't know. I could put the factory reps name here, but I'm not trying to create enemies.

I have also gone to dealer websites showing Class C's of possible interest and asked the to send me pics of the CCC label and the window sticker of the same unit so I could see what options were installed. One dealer actually did this for one unit.

It seems like a serious buyer must go on a treasure hunt to find info which any informed buyer would want and this is very hard to understand. This afternoon I found the weight of hydraulic jacks by going to the HWH website, finding the package they use on E450's for Winnebago, and then digging for and finding the shipping weight of the whole kit. Is this type of research what somebody has to do to do to deduce the CCC for a Class C?

And again, how can you get the loading, from the factory, on the front and rear axles?

How did you folks get this info when you ordered and purchased your Class C's?

I will post this question on a few of the other forum groups here as one of you suggested, it's a good idea and appreciated.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The way I secured the information for the coach I planned to purchase was to look at the models on display and note the OCCC . That is likely what you should consider - there is probably not a better place to find out than at the Tampa RV Show in mid January where you should find a massive selection of Class Cs.
While I appreciate what you are trying to find out, you must understand that manufacturing materials, technologies and third party parts are continually changing. A manufacturer is in the business of satisfying a large and diverse customer base and the information they make available is generally vetted by their law departments. Your insistence for precise data - in place of a range - would likely raise a red flag in their eyes. These are the ways businesses must operate in a litigious environment. I am sure once you narrow down your selection, you will find a coach that meets your requirements with enough capacity. It might be worth your while to determine the amount you require before you start shopping. Be sure to include a good selection of tools - they are heavy but are the RV owners best friend! Good luck,
Old 11-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

The problem is that you are talking about ordering one. If you go to RV shows all held all over the country or RV dealers, you can look at those in stock. In those you can look for the tag with the information about UWV, GVWR, CCC, and other info. I don't know anyone would mind you looking around and get that info. Then you can make a decision on floor plan, features, and CCC. That is what we did. However, you can anticipate as low as 1,000# as high as 2,200#. That is what we observed.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
On my old RV a Winnebago Sundance.... the info was on the door inside the bedroom closet
Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DeetsMaggie-

Lazy Daze provides "standard equipment" coach weights on their spec sheets. Here's the current spec sheet. Through the LD owner's group, you can get spec sheets for most older models.

We owned an LD. They will not appeal to everyone. However, as they are custom-made, but with few options, the OCCC tends to stay close to the spec sheet values.

As a general rule, the shortest coach on the biggest chassis will give the highest capacity.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DeetsMaggie
Be sure you understand the difference between "CCC" and "OCCC". CCC - represented the weight you could carry after provisions were made for passengers based on the number of sleeping positions and was the standard capacity measurement up to the 2009 model year when OCCC was introduced . The new OCCC - Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity must include all owner additions - everything and everyone on the RV. Good luck in your search!

Tags
weight