Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
I don't find my 24' to be really any issue as a go-anywhere vehicle. You obviously don't get to park right up front without a handicap permit, but it's no different than a cube van used for delivery just about everywhere already.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
our first rv was a 25' chinook class c. we traded it on a 28' born free for a little better sleeping arrangements.
we have never towed a vehicle and have never felt we were limited in where we could go and what we could see.
as others have said, we usually don't stay in one place for more than a couple of days. on rare occasions when we have stopped for longer, the rental car is an option. we have also stayed in more congested areas (D.C. area, williamsburg, va, san diego, etc) where bus transportation was available close to our rv park.
we also do a lot of traveling to our national parks and feel we have more choices in campground locations, having a smaller rv.
so, in answer to your question, i would say up to 28 feet you could easily travel without needing a tow vehicle.

born free 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #17
What I find interesting is all the folks who had no trouble parking with rigs bigger than our 22 footer that was often too big. ;-) It seems the real issue is how much inconvenience is too much.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #18
This is my first year with a MH 30 ft class C, no toad. I usually stay put for 5 days to a week. On the few occasions when DW is along, I rent a car for two days or so, for sightseeing, eating in restaurant etc. When alone I plan to do any stops for tourism on the way in and on the way out. I call ahead to see if they have RV parking. I try to find campgrounds close to hiking or walking paths and usually once parked stay put. I stay away from congested high traffic areas. So far so good.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #19
We might be the outliers here. We have a 31ft class C and don't use or need a toad. Three factors for that that may not be too common. There's six adult-sized people in our family, so a toad would have to be our van, which is not small. Also, our 20 year old daughter is severely handicapped so it is convenient to have all the comforts of the MH handy at all times. Lastly, there's no place yet I have not been able to go to in the rig, and find parking, including San Francisco's pier 39. In a few weeks we should be in DC and I understand you can park in Union Station, alongside the tour busses. Those are two of the hardest places to find parking for your car, let alone your RV. It just takes planning and research.
Art & Vicky + 4
2003 Fleetwood Tioga 31W SL
So. Cal is Home
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #20
25 footer

We just got back from a 13,400 mile trip to Alaska and back in our 25 foot rig without a tow. We went everywhere we wanted to go and found parking not to be an issue anywhere. We moved around a lot, when to doctors, grocery shopping, sightseeing, etc., no problem. We had a pusher with a tow, much prefer the "c" for getting around.
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
We have not used a tow yet. First we had a 26' older class A which got around pretty well, but DH did not want to go very far as it was older. We then bought a trailer so we would have transportation and a camper but really hated pulling a trailer so that was also a no go. We couple of 32 foot motor homes and really like that so just recently bought a 29' Coachmen and so far have not used a Toad. I have only wished we had a toad once, the campground was very cramped and we didn't even feel comfortable lighting the grill because there was no room between us and the next RV. I found myself wishing I had a car to go to dinner in. We ate a microwave dinner and that was that. I don't know what the future holds, we have a Honda we can use a two wheel car dolly with and so far have not been motivated to pull it enough to even find out if there are still car dollies around for sale.
randyandally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #22
My partner and myslelf go out the en of every month for 4 to 6 days, with in an 800 mile radius of Central Fl. in our 24" C. If theirs no Enterprise within 20 miles we change plans. Set up when I arrive and don't take down untill I leave.
toymaker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #23
Talking A Toad alternative....

We have had our Nexus 24'C for 24 months and 26,000+ miles. We bought a 24 so as to not need a Toad and it has worked out great, zero issues. I have however found a niche between a Toad and towing nothing...

After decades off of motorcycles (the itch to ride again never went away), I recently had the opportunity to scratch that itch. We now have a very nice, 1987 BMW R80 RT with a custom trailer that has become our "Toad" {more of a prince actually}.

We don't pull the bike and trailer to have a toad but to simply be able to take beautiful motorcycle rides everywhere we go (just returned from 3 weeks in the southern Rockies, Wow,... but I digress). I will admit to using it to pick up a six pack and a quart of milk once in a while but Toad duty is not its primary function.

The bike and trailer fully loaded with a few tools and toys weighs in at 960# per our last trip to the Cat Scale. I can't even see the 11' trailer in the mirrors and the 6.8L V-10 sure can't feel it. No discernible difference in our mileage, we still consistently average 9.5 with a little generator time thrown into the mix.

Here are a couple of shots:

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #24
We use our 28 foot class C mainly for music festivals in the summer. We went to Summerfest in Milwaukee for the first time this summer. There is no RV parking near the fest so we rented a spot from a private party about 3 miles from the fest.
The site was about 3 blocks from the bus but decided we didn’t want to bus it. Good thing since the busses went on strike while we were there. Ended up installing a Blue Ox towing baseplate on our 2001 Olds Alero (towable on four wheels).
Was a bit apprehensive about towing a vehicle – never done it before – but with the rear view camera it was a breeze. Got it down now to where I can connect and disconnect in about 15 minutes each. Found we don’t need the toad for most festivals since you camp right on site but nice to have the option.
Current RV: 2001 Jayco Eagle Class C 28 ft Ford V10 Triton
Previous RV: 1989 Winnebago Warrior Class C 27 ft Ford V8
dano726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #25
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We owned a 21 ft Toyota Dolphin Class C. We could put it just about anywhere you could put a full size car. We bought it used specifically for an Alaska trip. Keep in mind, 25 year old vehicles need 25 years of maintenance. AND, the are small inside.

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

We've since moved up to a 30 ft Mirada.

2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB | 2001 Ford F53 6.8L V10
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
We don't tow but may start. Planning a trip is much more complicated if you don't bring your own car, but it can be done. Planning where you stay, what venue's have sufficient parking, do they have cabs, rental cars that are convenient to acquire/return. Can you return the car on Sunday?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #27
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We don't tow but may start. Planning a trip is much more complicated if you don't bring your own car, but it can be done. Planning where you stay, what venue's have sufficient parking, do they have cabs, rental cars that are convenient to acquire/return. Can you return the car on Sunday?
Not meant as a put down as we all go where we want to go.

My first thought was that anyplace that had cab service would be of no interest to me. I suspect that is an indication of why there are differences of opinion about needing a towed. Some of us usually go places where there is an alternative and some do not. Before we got the tow dolly we went where we could without a towed. Now we tow and go a lot of places we could not go before.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #28
We are grateful for all the guidance. We decided that we wanted to tow a vehicle for most of the reasons posted here. It just allows us more opportunity to travel into tight areas. Btw, it is a 2010 Subura w/ standard transmission.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, tow