Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Class C's and extinction

Anyone noticing the lack of C's on dealer lots? We have 3 large dealers nearby and I love to browse. It seems to be all TT's, then 5th wheels, some A's, and maybe 1 C if any.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Class C's are so hot the dealers can't keep them on the lot.

Good for sellers- bad for buyers!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

I believe what I'm seeing in the PNW is that not many Class C's are being traded in. It is probably a 3 to 1 mix online for Class C and I know that more A's are built. What I do see are 2005 and newer units that are way overpriced. We spent about 1 year looking for our current Class C and looked at so much junk that I almost gave up and kept the 87 Allegro.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I looked high and low for a used Duramax class c within my budget of course and being patiently yet impatiently looking for about 6-8 months of searching, I finally found "the one" and I am happy because diligently searched trying to not be spur of the moment *I sorted through so many of them with problems
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Just attended the local Camper RV show and the break down was something like 40-50-TT about 18-5ths 5-class A 2-Class C and 5-conversion vans.
That was the big difference I noticed this year was the amount of these oversized conversion vans. Real high ceilings like the Ford Transit vans and a couple on Mercedes chassis. Actually pretty nice but on par with the price of a much larger class C.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Anyone noticing the lack of C's on dealer lots? We have 3 large dealers nearby and I love to browse. It seems to be all TT's, then 5th wheels, some A's, and maybe 1 C if any.

There may be some "Scare" going on when Ford announced the "E" series van would end with the 2013 model year. Yes the "Van" will be replaced with the Transit Connect, however the "Cut-away" chassis will continue.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #7

Not the Transit Connect, Fred, but a US-built version of the European Transit. The bigger Transit has been around since the mid-1960s. When I worked for Norton/AJS Motorcycles, we had a duallie Transit, about 25' long with a 3-liter V6 for transporting the motocross team bikes to races.

When we were looking for a used rig at the start of the 2010 sesason, I was scared off by the configurations of the C's we saw. They were almost all on E-450 chassis, and had very long rear overhangs. We test drove one, an '05 31-foot Forester, and I stopped at the nearby truck scales. I'd heard that some of the C's of that vintage were close to rear-axle overloading. I weighed the rear axle. With just two people in the cab, about 1/3 full gas tank, no water or waste on board and no personal gear, the rear axle was only 90 pounds under it's maximum rating.

That may be one reason for not many of them being on the used market. We bought our Class A instead.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

C's are like compact pick up trucks, people tend to keep them because they make great second "cars". C's are basically a very reliable truck with a trailer on top of it. Easy to maintain and service. And affordable. As a result people either keep them or they turn over quickly on dealer lots.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There will be new C's built on the F-550 chassis- this is heavier than the E-series and I think it's good news.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

I'm trying to buy a used C right now and dollar for dollar there is some really nice A's out there. I mean newer and nicer so the C's must have a better resale value. I would settle for a couple of the A's weve seen but the wife doesn't want to drive one
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
I'm trying to buy a used C right now and dollar for dollar there is some really nice A's out there. I mean newer and nicer so the C's must have a better resale value. I would settle for a couple of the A's weve seen but the wife doesn't want to drive one
I've seen the same thing, I'm guessing the gas mileage may be a factor and driving A's seems to scare some people. For me, C's are generally more family friendly in their design and in a lot of state parks in TN A's just don't fit well in the sites.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #12

I would have to agree that the parks that are short on flat ground have few sites for the long rigs. Not that they dont exsist but its harder to come by, and even harder to reserve due to the scaricity. Plus the C's do seem more driver friendly and are as scary as driving a U-haul van and not like a big rig. So I'm sure that keeps some people away too.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it's a question of economics. Families today don't have the disposal income they had a decade ago. I think people look at the high cost of a C, compared with buying a TT. If a family already has an SUV or truck they can use for daily use, it's a no-brainer, for something the average family might only use a few weeks a year.
This is somewhat proven by the large amount of TT's at the local RV shows, and the lack of C's and A's. These shows primarily cater to families.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #14

C's are moving fast. Caller on 2 on Craigs list both gone within 3 days of posting. I guess I'm going to have to drop everything and just go on the next one