Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2005, 05:15 AM   #1

Hi All
We have had a Class A, an older but goodie, persently have a 38' fiver. We are seriously considering going to a 30' or so Class C ... Our new car is capable of being towed so it seemed like an ideal solution as we don't travel that much and felt a Class C would meet our requirments. I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. as we are still open to any and all regarding our purchase.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 05:15 AM   #2

Hi All
We have had a Class A, an older but goodie, persently have a 38' fiver. We are seriously considering going to a 30' or so Class C ... Our new car is capable of being towed so it seemed like an ideal solution as we don't travel that much and felt a Class C would meet our requirments. I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. as we are still open to any and all regarding our purchase.

Andrea
Old 06-28-2005, 05:37 AM   #3

Here's my two cents:
I think a class A will give you more storage and CCC than a class C; and generally a better tow hitch rating (but that may be argued).
You're losing 8 feet, by your own choice, to go to a 30 footer. You'll certainly realize that you can't take as much stuff.
I believe Workhorse has just introduced W-16 and W-20 chassies to compete directly against Ford on the Class Cs. Not that I'd buy a brand new model the first year they're out (I usually let them iron out the bugs for two years), but this may be an option you want to explore.
Two of the biggest factors in my purchase decisions are: 1.) really liking the layout/floorplan, and 2.) having a good dealer nearby that is responsive.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Going to a 30' class C would definately take some "adjusting" over your present rig. In addition to CCC, add small holding tanks than you have now or that a class A would provide.
One of the arguments made between a fifth wheel and a class A or C is how you use the rig. You mentioned that you dont travel much. If that means you are in one place more often than you actually move around, the argument usually is in favor a fiver over a motorhome. You get alot more room per foot in a fiver than you do a motorhome.
If you do go class C, make sure it has jacks, ample holding tanks, and most of all the CCC. You could be very surprised at the lack of CCC on some class C's.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #5

If you don't travel much, or as much anymore and it is for shorter duration then you don't need to carry as much or have as much storage room. Yes, capacities are less but you need less and only for short periods. We had a C for years and it performed well for what we did. We now have an A because we go further and go for longer periods and it performs well too. Only you know what you will be doing and how often and you have had the advantage of having a large class A so you know what it has and can do. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #6

Thanks all ... our fiver and any new rig will be kept at the house and on shore power there .... we use the fiver about a total of 2 months out of the year and mostly short trips for a few days here and there with maybe a month long vacation during the summer months ... Although a Class A would be great it just seemed like, for us anyway, a little overkill as it would not get used very much.

Andrea
Old 06-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you do choose to go the Class C route, do yourself a favor and wait for the "new" Workhorse 14,050 Class C Chassis. This design is totally new and it features a flat floor passenger foot well and clear egress to and from the cabin seats to the coach. This alone will make life so much easier for the class C owner because GM/Workhorse pushed the engine further forward making for a smaller doghouse.

Wait a year? I don't think so, this design is proven and it was just waiting to get off the blocks. Make sure you take one out for a test drive before you buy, you will be surprised.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5er Driver, as many have noted, CCC is a major problem with the larger class C's. I don't think the Workhorse chassis will help unless they go beyond the current 14,050# GVWR that Ford has. We have had TT's, class A's, a class C and the 5er.

Our class C was a 31' Minnie Winnie on the E-450 chassis (no slides) and loaded for a trip, full fuel, less than 1/3 tank of fresh water, empty waste tanks, we were a bit over 13,950# on a 14,050# chassis. The handing was not the best until we added air springs (front and rear), Bilstein shocks and IPD anti-roll bars (front and rear). Then it was a joy to drive.

If I were to go to a MoHo, and wanted to keep it small, I'd get a small class A. The chassis is better and it has more CCC.

Ken
Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 AM   #9

After discussions with the dealer, no names mentioned ... we are back on hold .... Here's why .... Unit retail $76,900. Trade-In, fiver and truck, have a NADA average retail of $42000 .... Dealer said he could put us in this unit for $45000 plus the $20,000 payoff on the existing fiver (truck is paid for) ... Maybe I am asking for too much but it sure seems like the total price should be closer to the $45000 INCLUDING the payoff of the fiver. Guess they just don't give any discount off the Class C. BTW the same unit, on rvsearch, in California is listed at $56,500 .... Hmmm, something just does not smell right or am I just too old and ornery ?

Andrea
Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It sounds like they are asking full price for the new one and giving you very little for your trade. I agree that a good deal would be 45000 including the poff on your trailer. What do they say your tradeins are worth?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #11

Fiver, take a VERY close look at the labels and make sure you understand the CCC. While we were waiting for our MH at the dealer today we looked at a wide range of MHs (from Ultimate Freedom, Navigator, Endeavor, to 4 Class C units. My wife and I were amazed at the CCC on the class C units. One was just over 200 lbs. Another 400 lbs. The new Aspect was 1100 lbs (which we thought was pretty good for it). With the first two you take people and just about forget everything else.

Some may think that the WH Class C will solve this problem, but that is only wishfull thinking. If they don't increase the GVWR the CCC isn't going to go up.

We feel that up the road we will downsize (still several years out) and thus we looked at the C Class units today. Based on what we saw, it will be really tough.

We think we would have to go for something like the Gulfstream Model 6340 with Duramax Diesel and GVWR of 19,500 lbs - provided it has decent CCC. We saw these at the Tampa show and felt one would be a good alternative when downsizing. They have a pretty good wheelbase and I suspect the ride is probably pretty good (I hope).

The longer 6378 is nice but one might just as well have a Class A when you get to 36 ft 11 inches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fiver Driver:
Hi All
We have had a Class A, an older but goodie, persently have a 38' fiver. We are seriously considering going to a 30' or so Class C ... Our new car is capable of being towed so it seemed like an ideal solution as we don't travel that much and felt a Class C would meet our requirments. I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. as we are still open to any and all regarding our purchase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #12

Hey all
Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. We purchased a new R-Vision 31' Class C with one slide ... it has a CCC of around 3800 pounds fully loaded so that should be just about right for us as we plan to tow a ford excape, little but cute .... now if we could just figure out a way to tow it four down that would be something ... but alas it cannot be, at least according to the 'experts'

Andrea
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Trade your Escape for a Suzuki Grand Vitara - same size, also cute AND towable 4-down.

Note: I have seen one Escape being towed. Don't know how they did it without damage, tho. Maybe there is a solution somewhere. Have you called Remco to inquire? They don't list an appliacation for the Escape on their web site, but the Ford product info has not been updated in a while.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote