Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #1

Cleaning the sofa

The sofa in our 1993 Class-C is in excellent condition. In fact the material almost looks brand new, no wear and tear to be seen, but it needs a cleaning. It's got the usual dust and grime any old fabric would have. How are they cleaned? The fabric is not removable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used a carpet cleaner with a hand-held attachment and also a shop-vac after spraying with Resolve. Both worked pretty good.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
I have used a carpet cleaner with a hand-held attachment and also a shop-vac after spraying with Resolve. Both worked pretty good.
Do you mean those furniture shampoo attachments? Ya know, I never looked at my floor shampooer to see if it has such an attachment. The old shampooer had one that we never needed to use.....
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes the hand held attachment that comes with most home carpet cleaners. If you don't have one, the shop-vac, (wet/dry vacuum) works well after sparying resolve on the furniture. I travel with 4 kids... spills happen.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #5

Havent seen a seat cusion that the cover did not come off. I have done lots of upolsery work. There should be a zipper sewn into the long side of each cusion. If so, just unzip, remove cover and have dry cleaned!! To help with the cusion cover install, cover the foam and polyfill with a lawn garbage bag. This will make install easyer, just remove bag before zipping to limit noise.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

I use a product called Folex to clean stains from the couch on my home. I haven't tried it in the mh yet. It's available at Home Depot.
islecop92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Havent seen a seat cusion that the cover did not come off. I have done lots of upolsery work. There should be a zipper sewn into the long side of each cusion.
The cushions appear to be attached to the sofa frame itself. They don't lift off. This RV is from 1993. Maybe they were different then. It opens flat into a bed.

Quote:
If so, just unzip, remove cover and have dry cleaned!! To help with the cusion cover install, cover the foam and polyfill with a lawn garbage bag. This will make install easyer, just remove bag before zipping to limit noise.
Where would the zippers be on the type with cushions permanently attached to the sofa? I looked and didn't see any zippers anywhere.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by islecop92 View Post
I use a product called Folex to clean stains from the couch on my home. I haven't tried it in the mh yet. It's available at Home Depot.
There are no stains. Just general dust and grunge that makes them "unclean" looking. They really need to be dry-cleaned or washed, not spot-cleaned. But we couldn't find any way to get the covers off. We already washed the covers on the dinette cushions but they had zippers.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes the hand held attachment that comes with most home carpet cleaners. If you don't have one, the shop-vac, (wet/dry vacuum) works well after sparying resolve on the furniture. I travel with 4 kids... spills happen.
Are you talking about stains and spot-cleaning or shampooing the furniture? These cushions need washing or dry cleaning.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Are you talking about stains and spot-cleaning or shampooing the furniture? These cushions need washing or dry cleaning.
I clean my whole couch with this method. I don't shampoo per se because that would make them too wet. If they are very soiled, call a pro and he will use the hand held version of what he uses on the floor. Or rent a unit from your local store.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #11

Quote:
I clean my whole couch with this method. I don't shampoo per se because that would make them too wet. If they are very soiled, call a pro and he will use the hand held version of what he uses on the floor. Or rent a unit from your local store.

Thank you. If we can't find a way to clean this sofa ourselves, I think we'll call a local RV place and inquire about having it cleaned professionally while it's out of the RV.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #12

I use Folex to clean my entire couch. It's the same thing used by the guy that came out from the furniture store. I also used it on a dinette bench that had been stored in a barn. Came clean nicely.
islecop92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by islecop92 View Post
I use Folex to clean my entire couch. It's the same thing used by the guy that came out from the furniture store. I also used it on a dinette bench that had been stored in a barn. Came clean nicely.

I'll see if Lowe's, ACE or Home Depot carry it. I looked over the sofa and the way it's made the cushions are not removable. The covers are stapled to the frames. But our Rug shampooer did come with an attachment for furniture. So now it's to find and use a good cleaner for the fabric.

We're working on the leaky roof right now so put the couch on hold for a week or so. Every vent cover on it, and there are 5, had to be removed. Every one was cracked or had at least one small hole.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #14

I thought about doing mine with a little portable steam-cleaner I have for cleaning up after doggie 'accidents' but instead had a pro do it.

The local steam cleaning folks said if I left the coach with them for 24 hours they'd do it as fill in between other jobs while one of the crews was still at the shop. They did all the fabric in the m/h (even the cab-over floor and 2 piece mattress) for $75 cash.

I can't believe how much better it looked.