Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Cleaning. We have a class c. Jayco. That needs cleaning outside. Buffing. And I do

We have a classC jayco that needs cleaning on the outside buffing and I do not know what to use. Please help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Margar3t1 - First question is the body gelcoat or paint? Gelcoat is much harder and will take a lot more work. If there are specific issues (i.e. black streaks, etc.) pictures will help. Also what is your level of knowledge? Will you be doing this by hand or with a machine?
A lot of questions I know, but standing by to help.

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2007 Greyhawk. It spent 5 years in the Colorado sun and was pretty heavily chaulked. I washed it then spent a week using Gel Gloss in the pink can. Chalking came off really well. Don't use it on decals. Then I used 303 Aerospace as a uv protectant. It took years off the look and stays nice. I put the protectant on at least once a year. Looks good.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
BTW 303 Aerospace helps restore and protect decals and tires. It is a little pricey and can be hard to find. I get mine at a local spa dealer.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #5

Hi all I think it,s gelcoat. Not sure I bought it last Sept. And the finish is dull. Do not know were to start. I and going to buy a electric buffer Never did it before
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Okay! The first thing I would suggest is that you get several bottles of Gatorade and don't try to finish this in an hour. Cleaning an RV isn't like washing the car. I would highly recommend that you get a gas powered pressure washer and then go to Wal-Mart and get one of those brushes that extend.

You don't need the most powerful pressure washer but you don't want an electric one. Since you are getting one to wash an RV you should get one with a large soap reservoir. You can get these from Lowes or Home Depot. What I do is go to Wal-Mart and get a gallon of car wash concentrate and put about a quarter cup in then fill of the way with water.

Your pressure washer will come with several different color nozzles and the proper selection is CRITICAL! Since you have a gas powered unit it will put out some serious pressure. You will need only 2 nozzles to wash your RV. The most common are Black and Pink (Soap applicator) and White (Delicate) The soap applicator is the only one that puts out the water slow enough for it to draw from the soap dispenser. It may take a couple of seconds before you see suds generally I will hose it down with the white nozzle first just to blow the dust off keeping the nozzle three feet from the coach then apply soap to sections. The first section I generally soap up is the nose over the cab. There's method to my madness.

So spray it with water with the delicate nozzle from a distance then apply the soap. Now you take the brush and work the soap in to get rid of the bugs and other things it may take some time if you haven't done this in a while but you want this surface clean. Once you have removed all you can from the face you rinse it off with the delicate nozzle. NOTE When you switch from the soap to the delicate the soap that is in the line will come out for a short time this is normal. You want to get as close as you can reach but never bring the delicate nozzle closer than 5 to 6 inches. It can and will remove decals and possibly your gel coat. If it isn't clean enough do it over until you're satisfied.

Next I climb onto the roof. This is a good time to inspect everything and make sure you won't get any leaks. Using the same method you rinse, soap, brush, and rinse again. You won't get all the black spots off so don't worry about it. BE CAREFUL not to get the nozzle too close to the rubber roof. It will tear it if you do. I recommend ten foot sections. Always start at the front and work your way back to the ladder and send the water forward each time. This is why you did the nose first so the dirt won't accumulate on the dirt that was there and when you come down you won't be blowing the dirt back on top of the RV later. While up there the rinsing nozzle can empty your gutters with ease.

Once you have finished the roof its on to the sides do them in 5 to 10 foot sections length wise in the, rinse, soap, brush, rinse method but the final rinse will be from the top down. Take breaks it doesn't seem like you're working that much but you are. Once you have cleaned your RV then you can decide what you want to do about buffing it out. Removing the dirt often can give you an extra mile to the gallon. When choosing a buffing compound make sure you have chosen one that works with gel coat. If it's safe for a fiberglass boat you can most likely use it on your fiberglass RV.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margar3t1 View Post
Hi all I think it,s gelcoat. Not sure I bought it last Sept. And the finish is dull. Do not know were to start. I and going to buy a electric buffer Never did it before
Davinger gave you a lot of good advice on a pressure washer, that will be more useful at the beginning than a buffer. Before you get a buffer do your research, there are a lot of choices. My recommendation is a dual action buffer, they are the safest to use. A rotary buffer in the wrong hands can quickly take paint off the vehicle. And a buffer and all the supplies needed can get expensive quick. So I'd invest first in a power washer, a VERY SOFT brush (hog's hair), or lamb's wool, and a bunch of good quality microfiber towels. I personally use a 2 bucket method when washing, 1 bucket to rinse the "brush" and 1 to soap the "brush" up again. This makes sure the "brush" is clean before it goes in the soap bucket. Here is a video for you to look at
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #8

Thank,s for all the help. Going to have fun this week.

Tags
class c, jayco