Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Clogged Dump Tank

What is the best way to unclog a stopped up black tank?
Chad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Valterra Flush King and plenty of water.

There's a less expensive "similar" product by Camco that doesn't work well. Do not buy one.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

Ok, thank you very much, my wife found it online.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

Water and some probing utensil that you don't mind throwing away. I've only had it happen once from not using enough water when flushing.
I poured five gaskin buckets of water and a downed branch that I found on the ground.
Ours was a little brown mountain directly under the toilet . I poured in water, copied at the pile and repeated until it was fine. I it have had to dump the tank at least once during the process.
After that I got rid of the branch and made sure that there was always plenty of water in the tank.
Water in the black tank is your friend.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #5

Very good, I wasn't aware of that either. I'm sure we'll be drawing out at least a small range of little brown mountains
Old 08-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Use as much hot water as possible as it helps soften the pyramids. If you have any flow at all, let as much out as will flow before going to the hot water. After letting the hot water soak for a bit, then fill absolutely full and then open the valve (hose attached) and tap with a rubber hammer or something just enough to set up a serious vibration.

Just a basic question, you are getting something out aren't you? Just a thought that the gate valve was stuck closed and you think it is clogged?
Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Now that's another good point. I think it is plugged bc in my ignorance being a noob to RV'ing, I committed the cardinal sin of.... not using RV toilet paper :/
Old 08-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Clogged Dump Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
Water ...
Water in the black tank is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad G View Post
Very good, I wasn't aware of that either. I'm sure we'll be drawing out at least a small range of little brown mountains

Even with full hookups keep the black tank valve closed until it needs dumped. Use a good amount of water when flushing. Lack of water creates mountains. Full tank dumps better. Refill and dump again and again if you are on full hookup before leaving.
Finally a full gray tank helps to clear/clean the stinky slinky after final dumping of the black tank.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Holy cow I didn't know that either! It works because of physics lol. That one question turned into a master's class worth of knowledge. Thanks everybody!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #10

We usually camp with water and electric only. Which can lead to filling the grey tank too fast.

So I started using a dish pan and dumping the water in the black tank and it has been 100% improved in odor and cleanliness. Because in 4 days 2 people don't pee enough to make up for the other things in the blank tank. I also use the fancy grease cutting dawn.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #11

We have never used RV toilet paper. No problem in years. However, we use lots of water. DW and I fill the toilet with water twice after every time we do #2. Water is your best friend. No problem.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

The RV paper is a waste of money. Water, water and water is all you need to keep things flowing smoothly. If adding water doesn't loosen things up fill the tank to 3/4 full and take the RV over a bumpy twisty road to slosh things around in the tank. Take the RV to a dump site and pull the handle. Hopefully you will realize the results of your efforts. Once the tank breaks loose don't think you are done. Repeat the process a couple times more to thoroughly clean the tank.
Never leave the tank sitting dry. Add enough water, three or four gallons to keep the bottom of the tank wet. Then the first few times the toilet is used the effluent doesn't harden and start the whole plugging up process over again.
I insist when someone takes a dump in my toilet they fill the bowl 1/2 full of water and dump it after the initial flush.
I'd rather have to dump the tank more often due to excess water use than spend a lot of time breaking the dreaded pyramid under the toilet up and getting rid of it.
While there are a lot of products out there claiming to help clean tanks and break up waste and paper I have found very little value to them. I add enough water to have to dump my tank before any of these miracle cures would have time to work. I do use a small amount of "Mr. Clean" or dish detergent to keep the tank smelling fresh. Much more economical and just as effective for me.
Lynn
Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't need RV specific TP. We use Scott's 1000. Readily available at Wal-Mart everywhere. RV ok per their web site.

As for the clogged tank. Two things I have used with success. Dawn dish washing liquid. Happy Camper Extreme (different from the regular happy camper). Put either in tank. Fill tank with water (garden hose down the toilet). Leave in for at least 24 hours. Then drive around a bit, if possible. Dump. Use tank rinse to flush out. Repeat if needed.

To avoid black tank clogging. After dumping, put a few gallons of water in it so it's not dry. I include a scoop of Happy Camper (regular). Use the tank rinse every 10 dumps or so.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #14

Not knowing what coach you have makes this a shot in the dark, but....

Figure out the shape of your tank. Ours has a large end in the wet bay and about midway up on the large side, the bottom starts sloping up to the other end. We have 24 gallon tanks, and it has to be nearly half full to keep the bottom of the tank in the drop zone wet. I just have my foot on the lever as much as possible when in there to accelerate the intake of water and keep the mound wet.

Tags
tank