Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #1

cng fuel

I want to convert to cng. I need info. 07 e450 ford. Has anyone done this or had it done?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you located?

I've seen it done in Fresno California on commerical vehicles.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Roush is doing propane conversions on Ford trucks. You might check with them and see if their stuff is adaptable to CNG.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you convert to CNG make sure you take a CNG safety class.

Detroit has a few busses that are designed to look like old time trolly cars, these run on CNG and the drivers have to take a special CNG safety class before they let them drive them.

I recommend you take the class, and thus study the dangers, before you convert.

That said,,, Conversion may well be a good thing.. But know the dangers first please.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

I don't know if there have been improvements in the systems, but I know that in the 90's, cng conversions had a bad habit of running the valve train and cylinders dry of oil. My In-laws had a converted 4 cyl. that needed a valve guide job after every 18000 miles. OND
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
CD

Here's what happened to the experts.www.komonews.com/news/local/117114508.html

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #7

I got a ballpark price $12K for my 2007 V10 and that was with a piddly 35 gallon tank. $4K extra to double the tank size. I've been searching for the site, can't find any bookmark. I think I know why. They were based in Oregon and had three installers spaced across U.S. Closest to me was in Indiana. Technocarb had no certification for my engine and would not sell a kit. Certification is from EPA. Yay! Your next problem will to be to find CNG. The installation I got the price for kept all your original fuel system. This way you can drive around looking for gas. I'll keep looking for the site. Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I got a ballpark price $12K for my 2007 V10 and that was with a piddly 35 gallon tank. $4K extra to double the tank size. I've been searching for the site, can't find any bookmark. I think I know why. They were based in Oregon and had three installers spaced across U.S. Closest to me was in Indiana. Technocarb had no certification for my engine and would not sell a kit. Certification is from EPA. Yay! Your next problem will to be to find CNG. The installation I got the price for kept all your original fuel system. This way you can drive around looking for gas. I'll keep looking for the site. Good Luck.

I too am reasearching CNG Conversions.. The web site that you might be refering to is : www.ewsews.com/cngbenefits.html. There are several others out there but this one gave me more information. It also gives a link to CNG fill stations in USA and Canada along with their prices and what is needed to purchase at their fill stations. Some require special cards but they tell you how to get them.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #9

Here is website that lists converters across the country.

Certified CNG Conversions and Purchase of Pre-Owned CNG Vehicles

Spoke to CNG-NGV Solutions Inc. in Houston about adapting my 2007 Allegro Bus to CNG and his low end conversion is $11,500 with it increasing on the size of the tanks. This would be a 50/50 system. Also gave me this site for locating fuel stations and current prices.

CNG stations and Prices for the US, Canada and Europe

Would love to here if any one has made the conversion and if they are happy with it. Don't want to be the first.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know there are a number of conversion and or designed for CNG rides out there, In fact I've ridden in a few of them.. Interesting to talk to their drivers.

Recommendation, if you are going to pass anywhere near Detroit, MI. check out the Detroit Public Transit (BUS) system, in Downtown Detroit sometimes you can catch a buss that looks like a old time trolley car (Do not confuse it with the real trolly that runs on rils up and down mostly Washington Blvd) Talk to the driver about CNG and the special training he had to take before being given the keys to that ride.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

I had an F150 that ran on LPG, not quite the same thing, but similar. I would not do it again because the end result, ie. Cost per Mile was not worth the trouble or performance loss. Yes Ford does offer engines capable of running on LPG or CNG that have harder valve seats, but if your engine is not one of these you will be buying new heads or even a new motor sometime down the road. So you buy your fuel for half the cost of gasoline but you pay $$$ up front and loose performance and possibly engine life in the process. Do your math very carefully.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter View Post
I had an F150 that ran on LPG, not quite the same thing, but similar. I would not do it again because the end result, ie. Cost per Mile was not worth the trouble or performance loss. Yes Ford does offer engines capable of running on LPG or CNG that have harder valve seats, but if your engine is not one of these you will be buying new heads or even a new motor sometime down the road. So you buy your fuel for half the cost of gasoline but you pay $$$ up front and loose performance and possibly engine life in the process. Do your math very carefully.
Yep, there are pros and cons. I'll just keep the gasoline system until I buy a better coach. It's a MH and I'm going to buy bigger so.....something has to push all of that weight.
J

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote