Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
The LP detector only sniffs for propane leaks. Usually located near the floor inside the coach, above the LP compartment. The CO detector only sniffs for carbon monoxide, usually on the ceiling. I don't know of any detectors that monitor the flow of LP.

Co2 is heavier than air so if yours is on the ceiling you will probably be dead before it goes off!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
The LP detector only sniffs for propane leaks. Usually located near the floor inside the coach, above the LP compartment. The CO detector only sniffs for carbon monoxide, usually on the ceiling. I don't know of any detectors that monitor the flow of LP.

A previous post on the system used on 1992-93 Fleetwood products. LP detector was wired into an LP cutoff valve.

I have a 1992 Fleetwood Jamboree C-Class I'm trying to figure which wires go where near the LPG detector.

Detector: No. 7719 - Wires Red, Red & Yellow. (The Red wires are suppose to be fused at 3 amps)

Solenoid cut-off valve: Wires Black and Red

Wiring harness wires: grey, yellow, red and white/red

The grey wire measures ~13.5 volts the rest of the wires near zero volts.

The detector was working but the wires were removed while another person was working on something else and they forgot to write down which wires are tied together with wire nuts, which have been removed.

I was thinking if I can't figure out the correct connections of just removing the gas detector as I read somewhere they're no longer required by code?
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
Co2 is heavier than air so if yours is on the ceiling you will probably be dead before it goes off!

It's CO, not CO2, and CO is lighter than air (almost neutral). They recommend placing the CO detector ~5' from the floor. In my MH the original one was hardwired so they put it on the ceiling to make wiring accessible. You might be thinking about propane, which IS heavier than air, so that detector is at floor level.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
A previous post on the system used on 1992-93 Fleetwood products. LP detector was wired into an LP cutoff valve.

I have a 1992 Fleetwood Jamboree C-Class I'm trying to figure which wires go where near the LPG detector.

Detector: No. 7719 - Wires Red, Red & Yellow. (The Red wires are suppose to be fused at 3 amps)

Solenoid cut-off valve: Wires Black and Red

Wiring harness wires: grey, yellow, red and white/red

The grey wire measures ~13.5 volts the rest of the wires near zero volts.

The detector was working but the wires were removed while another person was working on something else and they forgot to write down which wires are tied together with wire nuts, which have been removed.

I was thinking if I can't figure out the correct connections of just removing the gas detector as I read somewhere they're no longer required by code?

Mine doesn't have the cutoff solenoid so when I replaced it there were only three wires to connect. I believe the LP detector is still required, but perhaps not the cutoff solenoid. In any case, I'd have at least a LP detector installed to alarm you if it detects a leak, or your dog farting
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

So I am a newbie to our Vien, but I bought a used RV, and I had old batteries, and there was no water ended up being in them, and I was having the same type of trouble I had to end up replacing all 3 of my house batteries. It's smelling like eggs, rotten eggs.replace the one battery first, and that didn't help the other 2 ended up being bad, also let's popped off of them, had a little explosion going on because they got overcharged because they were bad to begin with, I've replaced the batteries and have not had a problem, just more of an FYI don't know if that helps or not, but we did not have an LP leak, it was the rotten egg that was coming from the batteries that were bad and burning up. They actually started smoking at one point in time so good luck
DorJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #20

Batteries give off gasses when they charge, and especially when they overcharge. The most prominent gas they give off also will set off a CO detector thru a process called cross interference. Often the CO detector will indicate a high level of CO before your nose can smell the "rotten egg" smell of the batteries. If you have a bad battery (even just one cell) it will keep the battery charger on line and that will overcharge the batteries and give off more gas. If the batteries are bad then they will go "dead" quickly once the charger is removed.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote