Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coach batteries going dead after a few days

We have a new (2016) Renegade Vienna. Coach batteries died. 3 day trip home to NC after purchasing in PA. Coach sat for 12 days with everything turned off except fridge. (Just didn't turn it off. It was set to auto so I think it was working on propane and a little electric.). All was fine. Coach batteries seemed to be OK. Had to take it for a few minor tweaks to a car stereo store. Speakers not working, poor radio reception, etc. nothing major. Now sitting for 5 days with fridge OFF and no house battery power at all! 100W solar on roof. Battery disconnect off, meaning they were still connected. I thought the solar would keep the battery charged as there should be minimal draw.
Any help would be appreciated.
Magnum inverter. Dealer says the batteries are AGM. Inverter and solar both set to AGM.
Had to start the engine to get enough power to then start the diesel generator to get some power to the coach batteries. Inverter says CHARGING when generator is running.
New to all of this but I surely thought the coach batteries would last more than 5 days, especially with the solar.
Thanks!
Putter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, a 100a solar panel if little to no current draw should likely keep batteries charged. Have you checked with a voltmeter that the solar is actually charging? Load tested the batteries to ensure they are ok?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Consider going back to the last thing done to it. Radios can be off but still on as an example.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I appreciate your response. I must confess to being somewhat of a newbie on these subjects and as such I do not know how (yet) to test the solar charger with a volt meter, nor do I know how to load test the batteries.

Would you be so kind as to post a "how to" tutorial?

I sincerely appreciate your help.
Putter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Most AGM settings on inverter/chargers and solar controllers will not properly charge my Fullriver AGM batteries. One should find out the specific charging requirements of their batteries and make sure their charging sources can meet them.

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

http://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-instructions/

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter1 View Post
We have a new (2016) Renegade Vienna. Coach batteries died. 3 day trip home to NC after purchasing in PA. Coach sat for 12 days with everything turned off except fridge. (Just didn't turn it off. It was set to auto so I think it was working on propane and a little electric.). All was fine. Coach batteries seemed to be OK. Had to take it for a few minor tweaks to a car stereo store. Speakers not working, poor radio reception, etc. nothing major. Now sitting for 5 days with fridge OFF and no house battery power at all! 100W solar on roof. Battery disconnect off, meaning they were still connected. I thought the solar would keep the battery charged as there should be minimal draw.
Any help would be appreciated.
Magnum inverter. Dealer says the batteries are AGM. Inverter and solar both set to AGM.
Had to start the engine to get enough power to then start the diesel generator to get some power to the coach batteries. Inverter says CHARGING when generator is running.
New to all of this but I surely thought the coach batteries would last more than 5 days, especially with the solar.
Thanks!
With everything "off" the batteries should hold for longer than 5 days. Not sure what you mean when you say "Battery disconnect off, meaning they were still connected". Something is most likely directly wired to battery instead of after the master switch. I agree with prior poster who said to go to the last work done. The batteries held 12 days, the new work was done, and than the batteries failed after 5 days.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #7

Multimeter use

If you want to do your own work on a motor home you need some basic tools. Electrical system trouble shooting requires a multi-meter. You do not need any thing fancy. Next you need to find a rv person or someone with electrical training. The two things you need are voltage and current measurement. These will tell you if you have charging voltage and current draw when everything is turned off. I would expect there is a discussion some where on irv2 to help but trading with someone may be better. Wishing you the best of luck.

Dampoo
dampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #8

Battery

How old are the batteries? How many Amp Hours per battery? You need to know how many amps your coach will draw to get the amp hours your bats will last. If you plug in to shore power and drive your home you should never run out of battery power. If you boondock all the time you will need solar panels and/or run generator more.
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
The coach is new (2016). The batteries held for 12 days with no problem.

The radio was worked on and now the batteries die after five days.

My thought, the radio was hard wired to the battery so the radio receiver would have minimal electrical noise for best reception. Also my thought, the radio is not really off when it looks like it is off. Hence battery drain.

OP look at your batteries. Are there two thin wires connected to them? If yes, take the rig back to the audio shop and have them connect the positive wire to the other side of the battery disconnect relay. I really hope it is that simple.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Going to need an amp meter, so you can measure the current.

I'd start first and disconnect the solar, so that you can identify and find whatever is drawing current. ONce you have that fixed, then reconnect the solar so you can verify that it's charging as it's supposed to.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

My coach is a 2014, bought new, batteries were 2012. Harris. lasted one year. junk. Need to look at the label on the batteries. most now are engraved with dates.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries