Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Coach battery recommendation

My class C has 2 batteries, one for the chassis and one for the coach. The coach battery is dead and will not take a charge.
I am looking for recommendations on what would be a good coach battery to replace it with. The current battery is an
Optima Yellowtop 34/78 battery with the following specs..

CA = 870A
CCA = 750
RC = 120
More info at..

They claim this is a duel purpose battery, starting & deep cycle.
Is this the best choice for the coach? Does anyone have any other battery recommendations??

Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yellow top is not a true deep cycle battery, rather can be used for longer current draws than a red top starting battery. That said, do you need a true deep cycle battery - how much do you dry camp? With just this one battery I would think not much. Has the yellow top provided long service and adequate capacity? If yes, then maybe another yellow top or a lower cost alternative of a marine battery from Walmart.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
I just changed from 2 group 27 12 V marine batteries in parallel to 2 GC 2 6 volt in series and have more reserve capacity than ever. GC2 are available cheaply at Sams ($84 each 2 weeks ago). The marine batteries were a hybrid trying to do 2 different tasks but not very good for either. The best change on replacing your batteries is to use something like a battery tender if your inverter is not equipped as such. My Progressive Dynamics inverter had provisions to connect the Charge Wizard giving 4 function charging. Other than that check electrolyte level regularly. ( I killed my last one letting them run dry- you would think an automotive instructor would know better) Just adding-these are for the house-red top Optima for chassis is hard to beat.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with hoakken. 2 6 volt in series is the way to go. I plan on replacing my 2 12 volts with 2 6 volts for more capacity.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Hi Folks
My current (factory) set up has the coach battery in the engine compartment and there is only room for one battery. It would be nice to convert to a 2 x 6V system, but i think I would need to find a place to store 2 batteries and run a new cable harness to this location. At this time I would rather keep it simple and keep with the one battery. That said. I sounds like I should be using a deep cycle battery. One concern I have is... The Gennie starter is powered by the coach battery so I would need a deep cycle with enough CCA to run the starter. Is this something I should worry about or would any decent 12V deep cycle have enough CCA to start the gennie.

I measured my battery compartment (1996 E350) and it looks like the max size battery that will fit (without mods) is 105L x 6.5W x 8.7H. As Vsheetz suggested I may just go to Walmart and see what they have that will fit, Unless someone has a recommendation of a particular battery that is a good choice and will fit.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
You may want to consider a lifeline AGM deep cycle battery. They're not inexpensive. I just upgraded to them in my rig.

Since you have only one battery why not splurge?

The amp hours rating for the typical 20 hours test is the number you want to be the highest that you can afford/fits. Take a look at the manufacturer's sites for sizes. A nice thing about AGM is corrosion avoidance, no "this side up" requirement, lower discharge rates while stored, faster charging capability, and potential for longer life.

That said, there are also good traditional flooded cell deep cycle batteries out there. Trojan is among the most respected as is Crown.

All of these are US made batteries.

As for a charger when parked, the battery tender or CTEK are best as they are true multistage chargers that are good for your battery's longevity.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
The generator starter needs less power than a car engine. Should be no problem starting from chassis battery.

On my class-c, the genie starts from the house batteries and when they went dead I had no way to start the generator and recharge them.
Bill Lynch
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
with a limited physical size space any recommendation would be restricted to your battery compartment rather than a good choice. In any case look for a a deep cycle battery. follow the advice of other here on the use of the progressive charger and get the remote for as well. it is a low cost long term investment in battery longevity
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Thanks for all the input Folks.

Wanderso gave me some great recommendations. After reviewing them I wound up ordering the Trojan 24 AGM . It was well priced and vary available and I am sure will do the trick for me.