Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Coach battery won't charge on the road.

We are new to RVing and are learning more each day. We have an issue though that I have not found an answer to.

If we are plugged in, the rv battery charges and does fine until it runs dead. When we are driving it does not charge at all. So today I have no battery to keep fridge going or stay generator. There's not enough juice to even run the panel lights or water pump. We've already driven 400 miles today so I've given up hope of it charging.

What do we need to check? My dad tested the battery and filled water, says battery is fine. It's a deep cycle and relatively new.

Thanks, Tina
scrapintina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome to the group! It will help all if we knew what your rv is-make/model/year...
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

It's a 2005 Four Winds Majestic 30 foot.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Either you have a relay that should connect the batteries together not working or in some cases I have found a knife switch near the main battery that has not been closed ie a manual switch.
If it has a manual switch remember to open it when parked so you do not
run the chassis battery down.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Sounds faulty battery isolator solenoid.. Located on fender in engine compartment. Easy to replace, just make sure you get a continuous duty solenoid. Here is link to help you out

http://www.neon-john.net/RV/Electric...ion_relays.htm
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #6

You mention running your batteries until they are dead. That should never be done. Do some searches on Battery discharge and educate yourself - it will save you money in the long run.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Well, we don't run it dead intentionally. Yesterday we left Utah and drove to Idaho. Battery running fridge and water pump only. Kids used lights the evening, and we kicked the furnace on. It only ran an hour before battery was dead. I feel like a battery should last longer, but also should have been charging while driving. So with 6 hours of drive time and what I see as minimal battery use but about 17 hours unplugged we are out of juice completely. Today we have 10 hrs driving in so far and 0 battery boost.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapintina View Post

If we are plugged in, the rv battery charges and does fine until it runs dead.
When you are plugged in, and the rv battery is really charging, it shouldn't run dead.
Or did I not understand what you wrote?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

When we are plugged in the coach battery receives a charge and holds it. We use it in travel: fridge, water pump, heat... Then battery is discharged and is not charging while driving.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all in all RV's that we have had the fridge uses propane while traveling. There may be some electrical drain as well. I'd have to check a schematic to know for sure.

With the MH running what is the charge voltage on the coach engine battery?? It should be around 14-V.

What is the charge voltage on the house batteries?? It should also be over 13.6 volts. If not then a solenoid/ blown fuse or something is not allowing the converter to charge the coach batteries. Get it looked at unless you are capable of troubleshooting it your self.

TeJay
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapintina View Post
When we are plugged in the coach battery receives a charge and holds it. We use it in travel: fridge, water pump, heat... Then battery is discharged and is not charging while driving.
Thanks for clarifying. I did realize what you meant after reading your post #7.
You could have a bad house battery . Your 12V items might only be working because of the convertor. You can get the battery checked at many auto parts stores.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

If your system is similar to the 2007 Hurricane we owned, there is a circuit breaker with a small black button which sticks out. That button is the reset.

The breaker was located at the battery control center. Thor conveniently faced the button away from me and out of sight.

If you allow the batteries to run down too far the breaker ,50 amps in our case, will trip. Once it trips your coach batteries will not be charged by the engine's alternator. Some will tell you to poke at the button with a pen tip etc if you can't get your finger on the button. Don't push in too far. If you do and the button gets stuck under the housing of the breaker, you will be in continous reset and your batteries will not be charged. Just push it in and release.

After doing this, if your system is working and the engine is running, your coach battery voltage should match the engine battery voltage. Remember if the difference is too great between the voltage at the coach batteries and the engine battery your breaker may trip again. Checking the coach batteries just after starting your engine will be the best time to check if all is well.

That's how it worked on my 2007 Hurricane.

As an emergency remedy you can charge your coach batteries off the engine battery with a long jumper cable. This was approved by Thor tech for me. I did this for over a month until the real problem was discovered by me and the tech help at Thor over the phone.

Added:
Charging your batteries off the engine is far quicker than plugging into shore power. Those alternators can put out as much as 170 amps. Your converter will take forever to charge your coach batteries in comparison.

I found that one hour of driving time would fully charge my partially discharged coach batteries. Enough for you to get a couple days of normal use in the coach.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote