Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Coach House Platinum? Any have any information?

I'm new to the RV lifestyle and am very interested in choosing the right motor-home for my first purchase. Does anyone have any information about Coach House Inc. in Nokomis, Florida? I found the following videos online and must say their product definitely spiked my curiosity!

Coach House Platinum II Mercedes 241 XL Walk Through - YouTube

Coach House Platinum 271 XL FD Walk-Through - YouTube

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The Coach House is a high-end unit, and one of the best of its type. However, it is small compared to many of the other available choices. You must consider your needs realistically. Many people don't, and they find that their first RV is too small for them. They then lose money trading up to something bigger. I think the number one mistake people make when buying their first RV is to buy too small.

However if you are sure that this size RV will fit your needs, then Coach House is a first-rate choice.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler3500 View Post
I'm new to the RV lifestyle and am very interested in choosing the right motor-home for my first purchase. Does anyone have any information about Coach House Inc. in Nokomis, Florida? I found the following videos online and must say their product definitely spiked my curiosity!

Coach House Platinum II Mercedes 241 XL Walk Through - YouTube

Coach House Platinum 271 XL FD Walk-Through - YouTube
It is a very nice looking coach and the quality seems really nice. I Love the size of our Coachman Prism 24G (Class C) and the reason we chose this size is so we did not have to tow a vehicle. With the smaller size you are free to go just about anywhere with no restrictions and that is certainly worth something. It seems to have plenty of storage and the bathroom area seems spacious. I think it is an excellent choice. We had a height restriction for inside garage storage so we were limited to a just a very few of the RV's out there, but the Coach House seems like a very nice unit. Best of luck on what ever you chose.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There definitely is an advantage in going small. We just downsized from a 36' Class A to a 30' Class B+, and so far are very satisfied with the space, and the basement storage. It is low enough that getting into State Park campsites will be no problem, whereas the Class A always scrapped the tree branches it was so tall. It took us months of looking online, visiting RV lots including Camping World, and we finally made up our mind after visiting the a large RV show in Oct. I highly suggest you visit as many lots & shows as you can, and before you buy--see in person the rig you want to buy, sit in it, lay on the bed, stand in the shower, pretend you are cooking, do you have counter space, see where the coffee pot will sit day in & day out, where the pots & pans will fit along with your food--bread, cereal, chips, canned goods etc. Can you both watch TV without breaking your neck? I would guess Coach House, like Nexus will change anything you want---ie change shelves to drawers, etc.

I do agree with a previous poster tho---don't go too small. What if you're cooped up in it for a day or more because of rain or ?? can both of you sit comfortably. I just took a quick glance at their 27' floorplan--the bed is only 72" long. That's pretty short--but maybe both of you are short. There was only 1 barrel chair to sit in--other than the dinette. Shortcomings for our style of RV'ing--but maybe not yours.

hth, Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
to traveler3500:
the excellently built coach house platinum models come in two sizes but with many interior configurations. wife and me are very comfortable on the road with our 23' on the powerful v10 e-450 chassis. it is very aggressive and economical for us and not needing a 2nd vehicle for go-to-town visits - but we travel east to west coast twice yearly. Once, dry camping was gud for five days on the water and tanks with one shower each during the time while trout fishing in the primitive national forest sites. You will find that the new units are sold only from the factory - no dealers so you be very lucky to inherit one! cuz not easy to find used ones. these units built to last in all weather temps - especially up north and in canada (where our pre-owned one was located and purchased). hope you find one but most owners all like the 27' platinum best! let us know how you did on your unit! tom & rho
Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

We recently traded in 2004 232 for a 261 QD. After 9 years of use. it still looked new. The one piece FG shell does not leak, rattle or squeak. Be aware that they are pricey as they only use top notch materials that last and thus command a high price on the used market. Their warranty is for 3 years and if anything goes wrong it can be fixed at any shop that does that type of repair. Coach House is a family owned business and is one of the few mfg that will custom build for you. Their rear bath is very functional and has a large standup shower. We like the 261 because of the counter space in the galley. They do all the work in house, shell, cabinets and upholstery. We have found the Ford V-10 to be a very reliable power plant.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well... there you go you future prospective Coach House owners... one has been traded for an upgrade. I bet that 232 doesn't last long on the tarmack! Please share with us other happy-campers how you utilized the 232 when you owned it...mods? On our 232, I personally needed to make one mod: I installed an additional receptacle to power the microwave from the inverter where the factory had the MW isolated from the inverter. i.e. We don't bake or broil or convect, so we would never use that function of the MW. Other than that one personal change, there are no mods to be made to the 232! Factory had already packaged every conceivable convenience as its standard for RV'ng. Can you think of anything you would have changed on your 232? just wonderin.... Tom and Rho
Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Tom
We ordered our 232(now called a 231) with a 125 watt solar panel, third battery, 4 seat belts at the dinette and an invertor connected to both the microwave and fridge. We run the fridge on 120 volts when driving, the engine alternator will keep the batteries charged. After using it foe a while we changed to Bilstein shocks, Safe-T-Plus steering control (now factory standard),surge protector,Billet grill, and a Banks system. The Banks gave slight mileage improvement but greatly helped acceleration-nice to have when entering a freeway. We improved the sleeping on the jack knife sofa by using self inflating air mattress and a quilted mattress topper which stores behind the sofa when upright. We used the rig for both day trips (6 people) and extended 6 week trips. We do not have a Toad. When at a campground we just disconnect the water and shore power, retract the slide and head out to shop, etc. The small size makes these trips doable. I do check Google maps before leaving to see if the parking is suitable for a small RV. Never had a theft problem, though I have lock on the surge protector. Only hook up the when ready to dump and 90% of the time I was able to level using just the rear air bags, so no blocks to remove. Happy to share thoughts and ideas. Send private message if you would like more information.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dear CoachmanJay: Okay... I correct my last post - I stated we have a 232, but it is really a 2005 231 XL SD on a E-450 gas chassis. So, it appears we have the same model. After reading your post, it's good to know that there aren't really any equipment changes made over the years on this model! Yeah... the sofa bed is something we had to work on and we do use a thin mattress. However, we have found that we could remove the long cushion used at the rear of the folded-down sofa bed and merely slide the bed nearer to the outside wall, to sacrifice only a few inches of width. Wife and I both under 5'10 so it works for us! And yeah, we use the rear under-side of the sofa for all the sheets, pillows, blankets, etc. storage. We don't slide the sofa all the way back but still have walking room back and forth along the dinette. We use 3 900-CA batteries but our factory-installed solar panel can't keep up with the residual depletion of the battery while at rest. Glad you gots the big solar panel - so I guess the engineers figured it out on that problem and solved it for the newer models. We have found that when we call our RV a 22 footer then it will fit in ANY SPOT at ANY CAMPGROuND for purposes of reservations. I added a safety-plus steering kit assembly and Bilstein shocks to our 231. Again, glad the factory learned that one! After two cross-continent excursions last year, I found the plastic a/c shroud and the satellite tracking dome "cracking" between fasteners (from wind shear etc.). I used self-tapping sheet metal screws with decorative stainless-steel washers appropriately spaced between the existing fasteners to the metal frames in solving the plastic fatigue problems. You will probably have the same problem so be sure to inspect the roof vents and shroulds and fasteners after every trip for plastic fatigue.
I also added a thermometer with wireless remote transmitters, one remote in the refridgerator (wife likes that idea!) and one above the batter compartment shaded from the sun and elements. Previous experiences have shown me that the Dometic refridgerators set up on 12V or gas are prone to hard freeze your drinks if the temp gets too low! I use the second setting and it gets 33 degrees overnight! Place the temp monitor in a location (or velcro it here and there) so the passenger can see it while driving or at the galley.
When camping over weekends, we use the shower stall for storage of chairs, fishing gear, etc. I custom-trimmed a thin rug to fit the shower stall floor so that the stuff in it didn't rattle or slide around, then remove it for showers.
One of the least expensive and absolute best things we added to our baby was a 9v battery motion sensor activated night-light mounted inside the stoop at the entrance door. Now, we open the door at night from the inside or outside and we have lights for the steps without having to find the switches. Put one in the back area for the toilet area - no need to hunt for light switches anymore!!! (wifie likes that one too) .
Recently, I added a 600 lbs hitched Versi-carrier for our scooter, or for more trunk storage (we take things to daughter in California).
When we add a gadget, we use sticky velcro, for the obvious reasons... the gadget can be removed or quickly relocated without damage to the cabin or finish !
Hope this helps you if you had the same issues we decided to solve. Other than that, be sure to keep the darn baby under 90mph ! The 231 is designed for moving fast!

Tom and Rho....
Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #10

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

The last time I looked at the Class C ratings from the RV Consumer group, the three highest rated Class C's were, in alphabetical order,

Born Free
Coach House Platinum
Lazy Daze.

I should think you would be pleased with your choice.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote